Lockheed Martin puts out a Fusion Related Press Release

khalid

Unelected Mod
I'm not saying that students shouldn't be taught how to do it by hand. I am saying that they should be taught how to do it by hand, then allowed to use calculators and other computational tools. Doing homework assignments on Mathematica isn't going to help them on tests in that regard. However, once they know how to do it by hand, they should be allowed to use tools that expand the types and amount of problems they can solve.

The slide rule is dead, its not even something worth discussing outside of its historical and coolness factor.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Doing homework assignments on Mathematica isn't going to help them on tests in that regard.
Doing homework on Mathematica is going to lead to them not understanding the Math they're doing. The whole point of homework, as you should know, is to help the student find out his weak spots in understanding the subject matter.

The slide rule is dead, its not even something worth discussing outside of its historical and coolness factor.
You say dead. I say sleeping, like King Arthur. And like King Arthur, will return to save mankind from innumeracy and/or Mordred.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Doing homework on Mathematica is going to lead to them not understanding the Math they're doing. The whole point of homework, as you should know, is to help the student find out his weak spots in understanding the subject matter. .
Yes, and not teaching them Mathematica isn't going to stop them from cheating if they want to. What does stop them from cheating on homework, is failing tests because they aren't prepared.

Fuck, why am I arguing with you? You think slide rules are coming back.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gaming Ghost>
Is tad really arguing that our scientific progress has slowed down because we stopped using slide rulers?

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
If 10 billion turns five years into six months, it'll be worthevery penny in climate change damage it prevents. The time to act is now and the cognitive dissonance and tunnel vision that fusion energy investment currently has is holding back us as a species. If you have cheap energy fresh water becomes limitless, food becomes limitless, recycling all materials becomes viable and I'm sure thousands of other ideas no one fathomed/thought possible will become a reality. We need this tech yesterday :/
Ahahahaha, you believe in climate change.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gaming Ghost>
Does tad think that the fusion team at lockheed is staffed with a bunch of pimply highschoolers who are doing fusion research in between their homework assignments?

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Yes, and not teaching them Mathematica isn't going to stop them from cheating if they want to. What does stop them from cheating on homework, is failing tests because they aren't prepared.

Fuck, why am I arguing with you? You think slide rules are coming back.
Which gets to the actual reason kids are terrible at math now, they aren't allowed to fail at it. From teachers not being allowed to fail students to parents (who probably suck at math themselves) refusing to allow the school to tell them their precious snowflake should be held back at math. Until students are held personally responsible for their performance in school none of it will change.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Which gets to the actual reason kids are terrible at math now, they aren't allowed to fail at it.
Yes, the high schools that allow students to come to college without knowing how to simplify fractions, that shit is insane and it happens more than you might think heh. However, adding slide rules to that isn't going to help.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Slide rules are good for knuckle slapping. Punishment and learning all in one.

Another (good)thread ruined by tad, why again isn't he permabanned?

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Slide rules are silly but honestly at what point was this a good thread? There isn't much to even discuss about the main topic since info is next to nonexistent

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Better than this shit derail. I was enjoying the discussion of nuclear energy and Lockheed's bullshitting.

Cad

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Better than this shit derail. I was enjoying the discussion of nuclear energy and Lockheed's bullshitting.
Speaking of nuclear energy, are there any fission reactors that are really small? Like, small enough to power a truck? Even a relatively large truck.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Speaking of nuclear energy, are there any fission reactors that are really small? Like, small enough to power a truck? Even a relatively large truck.
I'm not sure, but if they do, they're probably not net energy positive.

iannis

Musty Nester
High school graduates fresh to college are bad at mathematics for so many reasons, however what I see so much is students just being intimidated by mathematics. Iannis for example has said that notation always scared him. Students need to be made comfortable with mathematics, to be taught that it isn't intimidating. Handing them a slide rule will if anything have the opposite effect.
It's greek letters and shit man.

Fuck that. Semper Romanus.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Aren't Slide Rules the equivalent of teaching kids how to make fires with flint/stone even though we have numerous improved ways of making campfires?