Looking for Mature Anime/Manga series recommendations

kitsune

Golden Knight of the Realm
Higurashi - 2 seasons last time I checked, dark/mystery. Really creepy & cool
Death Note
Air is good, but it's definitely not for everyone. More of a drama series

edit: best shounen series is still Hunter x Hunter, and since they're making a remake currently I suggest you watch that. It's quite dark for a shounen series as well and the humour is not targeted to children (even though there hardly is any)

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
Koi Kaze is highly recommended. I don't think there is a more mature incest/romance drama than this.

mysterion_sl

shitlord
if you liked ninja scroll, get basilisk (which is basically the same story). if you can get an uncut/uncencsored version of fist of the north star watch it. imho stay away from fate/zero, fma, and some of the other popular series. i would not say it's mature anime.

if you're not already sick of romantic animes getNatsuyuki_Rendezvous. i liked the story and the art very much.
also seconding berserk (either manga or the new anime movies)

i am not sure if anyone can still get this but if you can i highly recommendDragon_Head

i am actually d/l shigurui now, having high hopes

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Obligatory Revolutionary Girl Utena comment.
And nobody's said Evangelion yet? Really?

Also: UC Gundam (all of it), Turn A Gundam, Saishu Heiki Kanojo/She, The Ultimate Weapon/Saikano: The Last Love Song on This Little Planet.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Obligatory Revolutionary Girl Utena comment.
And nobody's said Evangelion yet? Really?

Also: UC Gundam (all of it), Turn A Gundam, Saishu Heiki Kanojo/She, The Ultimate Weapon/Saikano: The Last Love Song on This Little Planet.
The only good UC Gundam is the OVAs, the series are shit and do not hold up at all.

Also, recommending Saikano without huge caveats is grounds for Reckless Endangerment if the person is depressed. I suggest having a hug and hard liquor on hand if you watch it.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
I forgot Grave of the Fireflies.

E: And yes, the UC series has mediocre animation, has occasional pacing issues, was cut short, and falls back onmonstermecha-of-the-week far too often, but if you can get past that it'sstillone of the best Gundam series. Wing, SeeD & 00 all wish they had a quarter as much soul and passion as UC.

(But seriously, watch Turn A Gundam as well. It'samazingand hasgreatmusic by Yoko Kanno)

Itzena_sl

shitlord
This might be helpful:http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-new...rs-of-tv-anime
Happy 50th birthday to televised anime! Japanese anime had been made for theaters, but on January 1st, 1963 Osamu Tezuka revolutionized the medium by managing to get an adaptation of his hit manga Astro Boy on Japanese TV. "The Birth of Astro Boy" has shaped the artistic and financial character of anime every since. For the occasion Asahi Shimbun has put together a list of 50 masterpieces representing the electric range and heights of anime over the years.

?1963~1972

?1963? Astro Boy
?1965? Jungle Emperor Leo/Kimba the White Lion
?1966?Sally the Witch
?1967?Mach Go Go Go/Speed Racer
?1968?GeGeGe no Kitaro, Star of the Giants
?1969?Himitsu no Akko-chan?Tiger Mask?Sazae-san
?1970?Ashita no Joe
?1971?Lupin III
?1972?Devilman? Science Ninja Team Gatchaman?Mazinger-Z

?1973~1982

?1973? Aim for the Ace!
?1974?Heidi Girl of the Alps?Majokko Megu-chan?Space Battleship Yamato
?1975?Manga Tales of Old Japan?Ganba no Boken?Time Boken?Ikkyu-san
?1976?3000 Leagues in Search of Mother?Chodenji Robo Combattler V?Candy Candy

?1977?Yatterman
?1978?Future Boy Conan?Galaxy Express 999?Takarajima/Treasure Island

?1979?Anne of Green Gables?Doraemon?Rose of Versailles?Gundam
?1980?Space Runaway Ideon
?1981?Dr. Slump?Chie the Brat?Urusei Yatsura

?1982?Super Dimensional Fortress Macross

?1983~1992

?1983?Future Police Urashiman?Armored Trooper Votoms?Creamy Mami - the Magic Angel?Captain Tsubasa
?1984?Fist of the North Star
?1985?Touch
?1986?Dragon Ball, Saint Seiya
?1987?City Hunter
?1988?Kiteretsu Daihyakka?Anpanman
?1989?Patlabor
?1990?Chibi Maruko-chan?Nadia Secret of Blue Water
?1991?New Century GPX Cyber ??Formula
?1992?Sailor Moon?Crayon Shin-chan?YuYu Hakusho

?1993~2002

?1993?Nintama Rantaro?Slam Dunk
?1995?Slayers?Neon Genesis Evangelion
?1996?Detective Conan
?1997?Gaogaigar, Pokemon, Revolutionary Girl Utena
?1998?Cowboy Bebop, Card Captor Sakura, Prince Mackaroo
?1999?One Piece, Magica DoReMe, Turn A Gundam
?2000?Hamtaro, Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters
?2001?Galaxy Angel, Prince of Tennis
?2002?Overman King Gainer?Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Naruto?Gundam SEED

?2003~2012

?2003?Full Metal Alchemist, Planetes
?2004? Futari wa Pretty Cure, Bleach
?2005?Air?Honey and Clover?Eureaka 7?Shakugan no Shana
?2006?The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Gintama, Familiar of Zero, Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion
?2007?] Gurren Lagann, Dennou Coil, Mobile Suit Gundam 00
?2008?true tears?Macross F?Strike Witches?Inazuma Eleven?A Certain Magical Index
?2009?K-on!
?2010?Tatami Galaxy
?2011?Madoca Magica?Danball Senki?Tiger & Bunny?Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
seeing k-on in that list makes me sad.

yeah, i agree that UC universe is full of spirit but its probably our nostalgia kicking in. Still, UC is the most popular universe for the gundam series. We are going to see more UC in the future, so there is hope in that.

Sparko

Silver Knight of the Realm
Latex
Night Trips
Nothing to Hide
Shock
Behind The Green Door
Nothing To Hide II: Justine
Bobby Sox
Buttman's European Vacation
The Opening of Misty's Beethoven
Debbie Does Dallas
Cafe Flesh
Sex World
New Wave Hookers
Devil in Miss Jones
Face Dance
Taboo
All The Girls Are Buttslammers

Kaio

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Seconded, x-art has a lot of hot chicks. Also as far as anime goes although it's a bit older, "Now and then here and there", is a great and actually mature anime ova series. Great production values and story quality, they just don't make anime's like this anymore.

Archangel_sl

shitlord
I had dozens and dozens of anime series when I was married, but only two made it through the cut when I got divorced that I wouldn't part with: the full set of Rurouni Kenshin (including the less-loved ovas) and the first season of Orphen, whch also went by "Sorcerous Stabber Orphen". Orphen was mostly light hearted and comical until the end, but it's the wholes story arc that I really liked. The second season, "Revenge" was rather rubbish.

Vampire Princess Miu wasn't bad, nor was Haibane Renmei, but they lacked the suspense and action drawcard for me. Otherwise, I haven't watched anime in 7 or 8 years.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
you didn't miss much.
Ahem.

EwHEz.jpg

Kaio

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Why is it that I barely remember most of the anime's that I don't end up completely watching nowadays. Nothing seems to be as memorable as the oldies nowadays, other then gurren lagann, but even that is a few years old.

Lists of some anime's I remember....

Escaflowne
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Macross Plus (mature theme, short, sweet)
Record of Lodoss War (I think I mostly remember this because of Yoko Kanno's awesome opening)
Great Teacher Onizuka
Berserk