Lord of the Rings trilogy in 4K DoVi and HDR10

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
48*fps was fine in 3D, due to the darkening effect. HFR (high framerate) in 2D can fuck off. But then how trash the CGI was in it looks 10x worse in 2D. They blew their load on the gold dragon. Rest looks like it's 20 years old. Doesn't help the movies are just... Really bad. Think I'm gonna go watch Two Towers again to cleanse my brain of the mental image of goblin ballsack chins.

Also, yeah, I don't know of a single 4K disc that is HFR. You'd need twice as many discs.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
lotr+hobbit in 4K extended editions (streaming) that are movies anywhere compatible for $40 if you have a gamepass sub
Fuck yeah. Thought my Gamepass expired 12/2020, but apparently it doesn't until 12/2021. Bought!

20210305_140307.jpg

20210305_140335.jpg

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Problem is I dont see how 4k is worth it when it comes to streaming. Even 1080p streams the compression is easy to notice.

If youre really wanting 4k theres no reason not to buy a physical copy;

1) Superior image quality
2) You almost always get a digital copy to stream if you wanted
3) No risk of losing what you bought when a platform goes retarded and removes content because someones feelings got hurt

Obviously more expensive but in the era where companies have no qualms about censoring or delisting content physical media is king.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
2160p, BT.2020 color gamut, Dolby Vision, and Dolby Atmos... Already remarkably better picture, color and audio quality than that of the regular BD copies that I've watched dozens of times. Color clarity and definition is pretty dramatic. Grass is so crisp and clean it looks like I'm looking out a window into my backyard. Fireworks are crisp, and color intensity is amazing. 🤷🏼‍♂️

20210305_150321.jpg

Edit: Microsoft Movies was streaming at 2160p, BT.2020, HDR, and "Dolby Audio" - which comes across as lossy 6-channel PCM. Picture quality is disparaging from scene to scene, some crushed blacks, and the audio sounds like the fucking DVD.

If you use Movies Anywhere, VUDU is the app of choice for 90% of streaming movies. I've encountered maybe a handful of films not available in "full" fidelity (UHD and Dolby Vision and Atmos).

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Two Towers, the fidelity is so high, you really start to see the faults in the CGI. Small objects, shadows, the feet of the cave trolls opening the Black Gate - the 3D Jurassic Park had a similar issue, where the CGI raptors jumping on the tables seemed to "slide" and not be connected to the scene. This is especially present in any extra scenes involving CGI. All the practical effects and makeup still hold up really well.

Originally, in the DVD and BD, the only two major CGI callouts I'd say were Legolas wrapping around and mounting an actively charging horse, but that looks surprisingly cleaner in this edition, even if the physics makes no fucking sense. And the CGI wargs looked pretty terrible, which is still the case here. This version the crispness and clarity really starts to draw attention to smaller CGI objects and how well they're matted into the scene. I'll need to see if surfing the CGI oliphant is as bad in King. That and the horse mounting were the two big things that always bothered me visually.

The Ents still look badass, and the animation and all of their scenes are clean.

There's several scenes with flowing water, and that's where you can really test the audio fidelity. Still as crisp as the BD w DTS-MA with a little better spacial performance out of the Atmos profile.

The hilltop village, which was entirely CGI, looks better than some of the scenes shot on film of *real* scenery. Though Dolby Vision really makes outdoor, daytime shots with clouds really *pop*. Whites and colors, again, really standout. Pink flowers on a hillside and subtle green algae growth I hadn't really noticed before in some wide angle camera shots. Dolby Vision really helps, but I'd say 4K resolution doesn't play as perfectly as it did for Fellowship, given the quantity of CGI. Part of the reason, I prefer the standard edition of Two Towers, but the extended of Fellowship.

I'll update after watching Return of the King tomorrow.

20210305_223351.jpg

20210305_224150.jpg

20210305_224152.jpg

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
So when we watched the 4k in IMAX, other than noticing more of the CGI a bit, the only complain we had was anything moving even moderately quickly in the shots had an insane amount of blur to it to the point it was causing us some considerable eye strain. Is that present in the streaming/blu-ray version? We're not sure if it was due to the transition to 4k or maybe the projectors themselves being misaligned at our theater, but at least on reddit, others had mentioned the same thing in their theaters.

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
Vudu compresses shit too, all streaming services do. Either audio is crappy, or the video. You need to buy these on disc to not sacrifice anything.

• 1Solidarity

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
What’s your screen setup? Pics?
LG C8 playing VUDU through XBOX ONE X. Onkyo TX-NR787 receiver.

So when we watched the 4k in IMAX, other than noticing more of the CGI a bit, the only complain we had was anything moving even moderately quickly in the shots had an insane amount of blur to it to the point it was causing us some considerable eye strain. Is that present in the streaming/blu-ray version? We're not sure if it was due to the transition to 4k or maybe the projectors themselves being misaligned at our theater, but at least on reddit, others had mentioned the same thing in their theaters.
Not present, but the TV might be compensating. Looks like standard movie motion.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
interesting doc on the original Lord Of The Rings movie by Ralph Bakshi.
-edit
if nobody wants to hear about Bakshi's early work, it starts talking about LOTR around the 20 minute mark.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
interesting doc on the original Lord Of The Rings movie by Ralph Bakshi.
-edit
if nobody wants to hear about Bakshi's early work, it starts talking about LOTR around the 20 minute mark.

Seems a couple of his early work is on "Plex" for free. Some i've seen, some I have not. But I dig it and want to see all his shit. Man, the portrayal of afro americans in his work, can you imagine that coming out these days?

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Seems a couple of his early work is on "Plex" for free. Some i've seen, some I have not. But I dig it and want to see all his shit. Man, the portrayal of afro americans in his work, can you imagine that coming out these days?
yeah, was pretty hilarious. it was a different time. if you watched those old black cartoons like Fat Albert, Harlem Globetrotters and the Jackson 5, it wasnt too different. i remember enjoying the Bakshi version of LOTR as a kid. it hasnt aged well though. i do disagree with the negative view of the Ranki/Bass Tolkien cartoons. i think they were higher quality and a lot of fun. good voice actors too.

• 1Like