Lords of the Fallen

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
So this is basically Bloodborne + Souls 2. Looks like an actual next-gen (current now) Souls game though and we haven't really gotten one of those that wasn't a remake or port. Probably gonna be a must-play.

I am wondering how Fromsoft isn't suing everybody at this point though...

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
So this is basically Bloodborne + Souls 2. Looks like an actual next-gen (current now) Souls game though and we haven't really gotten one of those that wasn't a remake or port. Probably gonna be a must-play.

I am wondering how Fromsoft isn't suing everybody at this point though...
Suing another dev studio for making a game in the same genre? People aren’t stealing their assets.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Suing another dev studio for making a game in the same genre? People aren’t stealing their assets.

Yeah but this is like... bro.

If you click to a random point in the video showing gameplay and don't know what it is, you'd think they announced a Bloodborne 2.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah but this is like... bro.

If you click to a random point in the video showing gameplay and don't know what it is, you'd think they announced a Bloodborne 2.
Well someone fucking needed to

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Well someone fucking needed to

Thought the same thing right after I typed it LOL

I bet this'll end up turning into a rare day one buy for me. Is the original, uh, Lords of the Fallen (LOTF Zero?) worth checking out before that?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Thought the same thing right after I typed it LOL

I bet this'll end up turning into a rare day one buy for me. Is the original, uh, Lords of the Fallen (LOTF Zero?) worth checking out before that?
Not really. Had nice graphics and controlled ok but the telegraphs were too much and made it fairly easy. I mean you play some shittier games than it was so maybe if you can find it for $10-15 sure.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Not really. Had nice graphics and controlled ok but the telegraphs were too much and made it fairly easy. I mean you play some shittier games than it was so maybe if you can find it for $10-15 sure.

I just recently played Mortal Shell and it was a pretty sub-par Souls. Scratched an itch though and was short enough to not really be any sacrifice to play. I can tolerate a lot of sub-par when it comes to this genre. As for LOTF, probably just wait for the new one since apparently there's no connection.

The fuck?

Was there something I missed? Talking about 3D AAA type stuff here, so not Blasphemous 2 and so forth.

On PS5, Elden Ring and Nioh were ports and Demon Souls was a remake. FF16 wasn't really a Soulslike, just resembled one. Been waiting for a PS5 Bloodborne announcement for several years now so LOTF is the best I'll get for now.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Went ahead and got the first one. It looks a little antiquated and has some "PS3-like" jankyness, probably due to being a first year PS4 game. The art direction is great though and the light effects / particle effects are actually super impressive for 2014. I blasted through it with Warrior and Brawler spells, up to the Worshipper which handed me my first real crushing loss. The Ram spell seems to be really OP so I might just sink more points into Faith instead of HP/Str like I probably should be doing. I heard Rage was game-breaking but IMO it doesn't really last long enough. If used right as an enemy becomes staggered I could see it doing some damage. Still using the starting weapon because everything else I've gotten is either too weak or too slow. Either way it's not a terrible Souls clone. As others said above they copied literally everything except some of the smart things (like rolls being good / all directional).

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Went ahead and got the first one. It looks a little antiquated and has some "PS3-like" jankyness, probably due to being a first year PS4 game. The art direction is great though and the light effects / particle effects are actually super impressive for 2014. I blasted through it with Warrior and Brawler spells, up to the Worshipper which handed me my first real crushing loss. The Ram spell seems to be really OP so I might just sink more points into Faith instead of HP/Str like I probably should be doing. I heard Rage was game-breaking but IMO it doesn't really last long enough. If used right as an enemy becomes staggered I could see it doing some damage. Still using the starting weapon because everything else I've gotten is either too weak or too slow. Either way it's not a terrible Souls clone. As others said above they copied literally everything except some of the smart things (like rolls being good / all directional).

All 3 schools have spells that are "OP"

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
All 3 schools have spells that are "OP"

The game seems pretty unbalanced so I'm not surprised there are a bunch of OP spells.

Got the Faith-scaling scythe by defeating Worshipper after he took out his own adds. Probably good on weapons for the rest of the game since this weapon is totally overpowered as well for a Faith build, which I inadvertently ended up with.

However I gotta give this game a 0/10 because I completely cleared out an area, had a major EXP bonus going, and just kept grinding away. Finally had a mountain of EXP stored up and kept rolling, was having fun just clearing everything out and was gonna cash in to get a big, and needed, HP boost. Instead game crashes. Lost probably around 15 levels (which is a lot when I'm like 30 now), over 2 hours of playing. I wanted to go save a couple times, but you can't do that without reseting the EXP bonus and I was on a roll. You're supposed to be able to, but it doesn't work. Never lost that much EXP in any Souls game, almost deleted the game.

It's kind of crazy to see how mediocre Souls games can be when they're not by Fromsoft.

• 1Rustled

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
On PS5, Elden Ring and Nioh were ports

What on earth makes you think Elden Ring was a port? It was built from the ground up for cross launch on all systems taking advantage of each console/PC

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Think this game is gonna be pretty cool. I'm all for well executed souls like and this one is for sure gonna be worth a play through if your a Souls fan. One thing that's putting me off in this video is the sound design seems pretty sub par. Its the little details of perfection that gives Souls an edge whenever these types of games are made. The perfect balance of the feeling of weight between all weapons, and how they hit certain mobs and materials another example.

I do hope this game turns out great and their art is honestly at the level of a fromsoft game, if not honestly a little better in some respects(engine seems more recent? U5?).

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
What on earth makes you think Elden Ring was a port? It was built from the ground up for cross launch on all systems taking advantage of each console/PC

That's what I meant, I should have used more words. Port and/or cross-gen have been the order of the day so far. Demon's Souls is the only true current gen Souls at this point in time so we sorely need another one. LOTF and Wukong next year look like they're both gonna meet that demand though.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Went and finished this up, I guess I left off like 90% of the way through on my initial run. The path to Annihilator was so confusing and irritating that I shelved it for a month. Somehow figured it out when I started again. Turns out that was the second to last area. Game was pretty easy, and way too slow to be fun. The visuals were pretty though and it certainly had potential.

Seems like the devs copied pretty much everything (Souls gameplay, WoW loot, MC who looks like Kratos) so I'm not surprised that they aren't creative enough to come up with a different name for their new game. It would have to get REALLY good reviews for me to get it now.

Final boss was also a complete PITA. Don't recommend this one. At least Mortal Shell had an interesting petrify mechanic.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Streamer preview going on today, watched a little, looks really good and the gameplay seems really fluid

• 1Like

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I am trying to finish up my first play through of Dark Souls by the 13th so I can play this at launch.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I was gonna get this day one, but Lies of P kinda stole all its thunder and I got my Bloodborne-like fix for now from that. Looking forward to seeing how this one gets received though. I hope it's a lot better than the previous LOTF.