Losing your Job

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
As for emailing people, dont let it stop you. I pissed off the CEO at my last job and he forced my VP to fire me on Thanksgiving with a wife 9 months pregnant. That night I called just about every contact I had and had a few good leads. People I wasnt even face book friends with and hadnt talked in years. By the next wednesday I had 3 interviews, got 3 offers and took my current job. Its not like you are asking them to hire you, but they will know of opportunities and give you a good start.

Fun story about this - 2 years later they just fired their 4th person that "replaced" me. They have asked me back twice at huge raises with the CEO coming in when he found out and rescinding the offer.

Guy is a fucking maniac. This is a company of about 800 salaried staff and 3000 hourly. Working for a mad man.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
You do graphic design? Where do you live?

Calling me a graphic designer is a stretch. I have zero formal training, and have honed my craft on memes and Pantheon lulz.

It's a hobby at best.

London Ontario Canada - Two hours outside Toronto

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
"Do you like curtains? How about the beefiest of curtains?"

Start a company that designs tattoos for labia.

But don't hesitate to ask old acquaintances about job openings. Think about it - would you mind if someone you knew from your past who you thought was a pretty decent guy who had kids, wife, house, car payments had just been let go because of downsizing called you just to see if there was anything open in your company? I don't think you'd mind that. Afford yourself the same kindness you'd afford others.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Got one intro (prolly the HR guy vetting me) interview set up for next week. Was a LinkedIn job posted in my area. I've interviewed with these guys before and I went deep into the process.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
My field is Instructional Design. I create training materials, documentation, and courseware for trainers. I've done stuff for auto manufacturers, healthcare providers, cable companies ...

They call on me when the guy who's in charge of training has been using a 200 slide powerpoint to train his new employees and everyone's falling asleep.

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
Do youtube, there is a gold rush of sorts going on and you are totally watching it go by bro

I've helped a few people get channels going, if you wanna brainstorm hmu

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
London Ontario Canada - Two hours outside Toronto
Ouch. I knew it was Canada but I thought it was actually Toronto. I know a few people at ACTRA and good designers are always needed. You may want to check out out RDG or GDC to see if you qualify for sponsorship (you better have a pretty good portfolio) or an apprenticeship. Once you get in, you will never lack for work. But not sure how it would work in your exact area. I'm pretty sure most of the work is around Toronto proper. A lot of times having even a passing knowledge of Illustrator is good enough.

• 1Like

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Speaking of portfolios

I need to get my portfolio ready.

It's tricky when everything you've made is branded with the client's name and full of private information. Lots of editing will be done.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
My field is Instructional Design. I create training materials, documentation, and courseware for trainers. I've done stuff for auto manufacturers, healthcare providers, cable companies ...

They call on me when the guy who's in charge of training has been using a 200 slide powerpoint to train his new employees and everyone's falling asleep.

jesus, thats a niche.

Seems like a field that could be easy to Telecommute.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
jesus, thats a niche.

You'd be surprised how many places that have ID jobs

I also have an IT background, but it hasn't been put to use in many years. Mostly just as a subject matter expert on IT related training topics.

• 1Like

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Graphic Design is just such a saturated field.

If I had any balls I'd start making funny Youtube videos for moneys.

This is something you should seriously consider. You have the talent, and its fairly easy to draw in an audience.

But it can take a year or two to get something like that going full speed so you're making real money.

This could be a liberating moment for you, to be honest. You need to ask yourself what you value, what you're willing to do to retrain, if possible or necessary, and what you're looking for in future employment.

17 years unbroken work history is a strong resume, with or without certification, and you could probably ace a certification test fairly easily with that much experience, so don't let something like that get in your way.

• 1Like

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>

Try creating a Video or a presentation showcasing your work, that way when you do get call for the interview, you can show them the video, and go over your thought process.

• 1Like

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Whatever you do, don't employ Lendarios Lendarios to help write any of the comedy skits on your new Youtube channel. We've gotten a taste of his comedy and it did not pass muster.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Speaking of portfolios

I need to get my portfolio ready.

It's tricky when everything you've made is branded with the client's name and full of private information. Lots of editing will be done.

I can send you one of the t-shirts for it

• 1Like

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
My department had a big reduction in force this month and I was caught in the wave. I haven't been unemployed for 17 years, not exactly sure what I should be doing just now :p

Got a house, a car payment, kids, and two week left at this job.

Any advice appreciated

Leaving one place is just an opportunity for growth.