Losing your Job

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The only good thing about the long commute was I listened to the entire GOT series on audiobook, plus several others, plus I was destroying podcasts.

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
I have a ten mile drive that takes about 14 minutes. I could never do a long commute like some of you.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Good audio is the only redeeming part of a long commute. I actually don't mind a long drive without traffic. It's kind of relaxing. Add in traffic though and fuck all that.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I've listened to a lot of books the past year and a half during my commute. Including knocking out the entire Dark Tower series (Wizard and Glass was my fave).

Also hit a few dozen Hardcore History podcasts. S-Town. Re-listened to Serial 1 & 2. All of Criminal Podcast. All of More Perfect (really love that one).

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
You guys are craaaaaazy.
I commute 15 minutes on gravel roads through orchards and vineyards. The only bad part is that it takes me forever to get through a podcast.

I do two or three 8+ hour drives a month, though, so I can burn through some on those. ;) rural livin' best livin'

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I work from home. Sometimes I lie in bed in the mornings until 15 minutes before the start of my day. Part of the reason I'm still here - that and my work hours are extremely flexible, so son sick? Np! Doc app? Np! Restless night and too tired to get up? Np!

I'll really miss this when I move on.

I did do a 4 hour/day commute for a year a while back, so I know the feels.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I used to WFH a lot and the freedom and flexibility of your day is definitely the biggest perk. But it also encouraged me to go out more. I just wanted to get the fuck outta the house at the end of my day.

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
Used to have a 90 minute each way commute. Down to 20 minutes now. Figured that was worth about 10-15k a year trade off.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I eat lunch out 3-4 days a week, sometimes more. And I look forward to running errands, since I never really leave the house. WFH has benefits and downsides. My gal also (mostly) WFH, but we have different offices. I like peeking in on her now and again, and midday sex breaks are nice.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
When I worked from home all the time I cooked way more. Being in the office again made me value my Sunday meal prep days again.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I worked at home and cooked all my meals. I liked the cooking aspect, but also the nearest place to eat out was 45 minutes away. Pre internet days (well had dialup 20 years ago) and I worked a lot of nights and even if I lived closer to town not a big choice of places to go out and eat at 2-3 a.m. outside of whataburger. But since it was pre internet days a real lack of people calling distracting me while working at 2am.

But on commuting later on I drove nearly an 1-1/2 hours and I got a ton of work done at that time. The field would be working 24 hours a day on a turn around and I would get updates and touch base with people on the way in to work and when I got to work do actual work. I could call in orders for materials and such on the way in as well since during a turn around a lot of stuff would be open 24 hours a day.