Lost Ark Online

elidib

Vyemm Raider
My advice is don't think about the gear grind. There's so many islands to explore, timed events to partake in, and whole continents to look forward to. just do your daily chaos dungeon x2, unas task x3, and then guardian raids only if you really feel like it. The rest of the time you can sail around and check out all the islands and do the awakening questline, and pop in to whatever events come up on the top left bar, like Alakkir, Chaos Gates, sailing co-ops, death's hold, snowpang, etc. You'll have plenty of fun doing all of that and there's so much to do the days will stretch out and you'll hit higher gear levels naturally.

That's what I did, and I'm only JUST now making my first alt, after my main is hitting 1335+. and I STILL feel like I'm missing out on content on my main when I'm just doing chaos, una and guardians playing my alt.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
As kind of expected, I hit 460 on my Berserker main and just petered out. Made a Sharpshooter and a Paladin with my power passes and those were fun and different, but after the main story and a little gear grind, I'm just not one to enjoy the constant gear grind that doesn't end. That's the whole point, I get it, but it just isn't for me.

It really just isnt about the gear grind since you dont even need gear super high to do alot of the content - If you look at it from an ARPG standpoint like D3 its business as usual. I feel too many come into this thinking like WOW or EQ and expect it to be that full fledge mmo which it isnt. LA has elements of both but imo at its core its just a top down ARPG with a bunch of features (currencies too!) and exploration. Hitting Ilvl 302 is a sensory overload and im 1350 now and i still havent hit up all the islands because the game just has so much to do to keep me busy.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It really just isnt about the gear grind since you dont even need gear super high to do alot of the content - If you look at it from an ARPG standpoint like D3 its business as usual. I feel too many come into this thinking like WOW or EQ and expect it to be that full fledge mmo which it isnt. LA has elements of both but imo at its core its just a top down ARPG with a bunch of features (currencies too!) and exploration. Hitting Ilvl 302 is a sensory overload and im 1350 now and i still havent hit up all the islands because the game just has so much to do to keep me busy.
I get it. I didn't expect to be a full MMO like WoW or EQ, but I usually last just about as long as this in D3 as well. I hit the easy gear score that puts you farming T16 and GR80-90, and then I stop. I don't really have the interest to push further. So I guess it actually played out exactly how it plays out for me in D3.

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
My advice is don't think about the gear grind. There's so many islands to explore, timed events to partake in, and whole continents to look forward to. just do your daily chaos dungeon x2, unas task x3, and then guardian raids only if you really feel like it. The rest of the time you can sail around and check out all the islands and do the awakening questline, and pop in to whatever events come up on the top left bar, like Alakkir, Chaos Gates, sailing co-ops, death's hold, snowpang, etc. You'll have plenty of fun doing all of that and there's so much to do the days will stretch out and you'll hit higher gear levels naturally.

That's what I did, and I'm only JUST now making my first alt, after my main is hitting 1335+. and I STILL feel like I'm missing out on content on my main when I'm just doing chaos, una and guardians playing my alt.

Really the correct perspective to have. I feel like all the burnouts I hear are people who were pushing up and hitting walls or not enjoying the gear progression.

Island content is like 90% ilvl 250. 85% of the continents can be done by 600. PVP is equalized. Don't fall into the trap of looking at that gear progression and getting frustrated/feeling like you're falling behind. Do what you enjoy. A lot of that stuff will also directly result in your character getting stronger. Take a break and focus on upgrading your card sets - there's lots of ways to do that, hidden merchants to camp, etc. Get your skill points up -- 100% a few continents. Just do you and don't worry about the rest. The game has a lot to offer.

Cybsled

I really hate PvP in this game. It's pretty much "stun and die"

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
People whining about being road blocked or "the grind" have never played a single MMO or ARPG in their life time or have the most unrealistic standards possible (or just flat out bad). The game has been out for a month and plenty of people have shown how it's possible to get mutiple T3 chars without opening up their wallets if you have game knowledge or even all T2 if you just play moderately efficient already. End game isn't going anywhere whether you reach it this month or six months from now.

• 3Like

Amycus

Lord Nagafen Raider
I put like 200 hours into New World for 2 dungeons and constant buggy nonsense. i had BiS in every slot prior to mutations. Not flexing because the game turned out to be such a disappointment, just a bit of perspective. It felt insanely tedious like I was just going through the motions, but I was having fun for the most part, and nothing else to play, so who cares.

I feel like I could play this 10 hours a day and it would all feel like a value add to my character(s). Every island I do, everything feels like some form of progress. Took me a while to get used to the movement as I never really got into Diablo or anything like it, but it’s a ton of fun. Sure I do my dailies but that takes like zero time, so most of my time is going to island events, tracking down collectibles I don’t have, etc. The combat is fun as hell, and every class I’ve played feels unique. The questing is trash, but mmo questing is trash, so nothing new there. I’ll hit 600 tomorrow playing pretty casually, and look forward to learning new guardians and abyssals after I do Yorn.

Like everything else, I’ll play it until it’s not fun, and that will be the end of it. And I’ll add that if you think this is too grindy to be fun and ignore all the good, you’ve forgotten your roots hanging around this forum. Don’t be a pussy.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Nothing wrong with burning out. Everyone approaches games in a different way. Take a step back and stop playing for a few days. There is no advantage to playing hardcore to such a degree as to lose focus on why we play the games to begin with. Have fun. The game is not going anywhere and there is still plenty of time before it advances.

I feel the grind and then realize that I have yet to really explore the world. I get so used to the grind. The game does have a lot to offer but you have to let go of the "I have to be the best the fastest" mentality. The game opens up a lot more when you do.

Last edited:

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
I think it's less the burning out and the salt/sour grapes attitude like the game owes them something due to their failure to progress.

Reminiscent of elo stuck ranked players crying about "if it wasn't for my team I'd be out of bronze!!111".

This is objectively the best modernish MMO that is up to western standards that we are going to get for probably 5+ more years until AoC releases and flops due to jaded gamers and too many failed promises. Best part is that it's so generously free to play (and not in your face about it like all the others) that you can get pretty much everything a whale can get with nothing but your time. Great for the MMO space and great for gamers.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Im kinda with him on the loot part. To me these mmorpgs are all about the loot not upgrading some generic shit over and over, rinse and repeat. Dont get me wrong combat is great and the game is huge. I even like the islands parts of it, but the loot does suck.

• 3Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Im kinda with him on the loot part. To me these mmorpgs are all about the loot not upgrading some generic shit over and over, rinse and repeat. Dont get me wrong combat is great and the game is huge. I even like the islands parts of it, but the loot does suck.
Generic, "paint by numbers" style loot in MMOs is here to stay and really started on its journey around the time of LDoN, sadly.

• 1Solidarity

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
If you have game knowledge or even all T2 if you just play moderately efficient already...

That's the thing. There is soooooo much shit you don't know 1st starting off it's insane. You just can't read or remember it all. Fuck I didn't know that my pet could repair until last week! Little shit like that. If we didn't have some vets on this board or in guild, I would have quit quite awhile ago.

• 4Like

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That's the thing. There is soooooo much shit you don't know 1st starting off it's insane. You just can't read or remember it all. Fuck I didn't know that my pet could repair until last week! Little shit like that. If we didn't have some vets on this board or in guild, I would have quit quite awhile ago.
Agreed, I've been playing since release and just found out about Procyon's Compass like 3 days ago.

The only think you feel like you miss out on by taking your time is the auction house grind, being first to make the most money. But in reality without a decent guild I doubt I'll even raid once I get T3, just enjoying the ride getting there, so what the fuck am I going to do with all the gold anyways? Probably will re-roll on Regulus if I actually like the game still once I get to T3.

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Got a bit of rage worked up as I failed the Weapon +15 4 times in a row and ran out of Red Shards... mega salty as I even used the +chance gems also. So far only got one piece to 15, will probably take another week or two to get T3.

Jox

Molten Core Raider
Virtue point requirements are some next level bullshit. I'm at 304 kindness, there's 5 more pots I can get per the codex. This rapport conversation with Nia needs 420.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider

I don't disagree on the glut of content/codex etc., but I went into this game blind aside from a few hours in RU to test game play movement/combat and leveling in beta.

The rest I've left completely unspoiled as that's 90% of the fun of a new MMO. No guides, no "how to most efficient", but with the understanding that the #1 best thing I could do is focus on getting a solid alt squad up and I've actually been reading the in game guide quests etc. Standard RTFM. That's literally all I've done that made the biggest impact on my game play as a new player. I have a team of chars that take me ~1 hour a day to pump thousands of gold into my pocket and/or feed whatever character I want to +gooder every day. Aside from the intial character + 2 parts Rohendel/Yorn I've powerpass/knowledge transfered everything else up to Feiton so practically no time wasted doing the other shit everyone has been complaining about as well "the questing".

As for stuff I didn't know? I just realized last week that blood shard purchased stones were tradable so I missed out on a month of that. I've been doing all the Nerias for rapport instead of the ones that give better shit because I though having all the inn waifus was amusing. I have half assed most of unas task despite realizing recently how their progression unlocks further quests/stats/items. I didn't realize harmony/life/honor shards weren't roster bound etc. etc. etc.

Yet none of it overly changed anything because of the core group of alts making up for practically all my ignorance with in game $$$$ which has smoothed out practically everything. Don't have shards? Buy from Maris. Don't have leapstones? Buy from Maris. Don't want to do my Unas? Buy from shop. All funded by that alt squad.

Like everything else in life set yourself up for success to match the goals you want or just get grumpy and shake fist at clouds.

• 1Solidarity

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
FOMO is really what is causing most people to shake their fist at the clouds.

This game is only "daunting" because people think you have to do EVERY SINGLE THING by week 4. There's fucking 3 years of content in this bitch. Just relax and realize there is PLENTY of time for shit like adventure tome, islands, mokoko seeds, etc.

• 4Like

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
FOMO is really what is causing most people to shake their fist at the clouds.

This game is only "daunting" because people think you have to do EVERY SINGLE THING by week 4. There's fucking 3 years of content in this bitch. Just relax and realize there is PLENTY of time for shit like adventure tome, islands, mokoko seeds, etc.
whatever-ill-do-what-i-want.gif

• 2Worf
  • 1Genius!

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I don't disagree on the glut of content/codex etc., but I went into this game blind aside from a few hours in RU to test game play movement/combat and leveling in beta.

The rest I've left completely unspoiled as that's 90% of the fun of a new MMO. No guides, no "how to most efficient", but with the understanding that the #1 best thing I could do is focus on getting a solid alt squad up and I've actually been reading the in game guide quests etc. Standard RTFM. That's literally all I've done that made the biggest impact on my game play as a new player. I have a team of chars that take me ~1 hour a day to pump thousands of gold into my pocket and/or feed whatever character I want to +gooder every day. Aside from the intial character + 2 parts Rohendel/Yorn I've powerpass/knowledge transfered everything else up to Feiton so practically no time wasted doing the other shit everyone has been complaining about as well "the questing".

As for stuff I didn't know? I just realized last week that blood shard purchased stones were tradable so I missed out on a month of that. I've been doing all the Nerias for rapport instead of the ones that give better shit because I though having all the inn waifus was amusing. I have half assed most of unas task despite realizing recently how their progression unlocks further quests/stats/items. I didn't realize harmony/life/honor shards weren't roster bound etc. etc. etc.

Yet none of it overly changed anything because of the core group of alts making up for practically all my ignorance with in game $$$$ which has smoothed out practically everything. Don't have shards? Buy from Maris. Don't have leapstones? Buy from Maris. Don't want to do my Unas? Buy from shop. All funded by that alt squad.

Like everything else in life set yourself up for success to match the goals you want or just get grumpy and shake fist at clouds.

This is me, I didn't even play test shit. Game wasn't even on my radar. No founders edition, no head start, no clue about jack and shit about this games, we're a month in and I am still learning new things everytime I play. I know damn well I haven't been efficient with my time or upgrades. Hell I spent the first few days slowly leveling collecting retard seeds like a complete dipshit. Still learning what currencies do what, what to hold on to, what to spend.

How to use rift shards, what the fuck a chaos rift is, how to share maps, Una's, fucking you name it. There is a goddamn myriad of shit to do in this game for the low cost of fucking zero dollars. I can't think of a better fucking value than that. The turbotards whining and crying like ultrafags about boohoo retard shit like Rob are just fucking worthless in every way. There is so much content in this game you can choose to partake in or not. - So far there is no content released that is so balls grindingly hard that you need to min/max all the unlocks and shit from every aspect of the game. In fact you can play one character and get access to pretty much everything you need. Alt's are just a completion and resource multiplier.

The core of this game which is the combat system is fun as fuck, and even just mindlessly grinding out a couple of chaos dungeons whenever you please is more value than Diablo 3 provided (think rift keys) which cost $50+ expansion money and then the faggots at Bliz abandoned it.

Anyone seeing the 1% gaming crew and want to be a part of it have to put in hours/cash to get there faster but if you wanted to play this game casually it's a full experience that should provide months of entertainment. The shit sucking losers who are big mad they failed their first upgrade on their T1 gear should just fucking quit because they are too much of faggots to enjoy anything. All the islands play out differently to the point some of them might as well be playing a different game or mini game.

I am still way behind just recently hitting T3 on my first character which I am sure I can still optimize like crazy. Not knowing jack and shit about the game put my behind the big cash lotto the absolute bleeding edge people with all their knowledge generated but so fucking what. There is still a glut of fucking content available, there are still so many unknown mechanics, systems, currencies, secrets, islands that I am just scratching the surface. Once I get a feel for one aspect of the game you get introduced to more in depth shit. As you said it's 3 years worth of content and then some since not everything has even been released here in the U.S.

I was going to write up some shit about this game but really anyone who picked this up could probably tell if they were into it or not on the first play through. The combat is fun, that is the core of the game, the raids, and dungeons are fun. The collectables, rapport, gold farms, islands, co-ops, are all extra shit there to widen out the game and prevent it from being completely monotonous, but really you can play this shit for a few hours at a time or like Vold and put 500 hours in the course of 1 month and still not have run out of shit to do.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity