Lost Ark Online

Raes

Vyemm Raider
They said a long time ago there wouldn't be paid boost at launch iirc. Like a few months ago. Boosts at launch is actually a good way to get pretty bad press about P2W and other stuff. 1month later or whatever sure, but right away it means anyone swiping gets a direct advantage right away, for an actually reasonable price(most likely) which wouldn't look good. It's just not a good idea and I can't really think of a mmo that sold boosts on day 1, even shitty managed korean ones.

As I said though I expect they'll still sell boosts later on, and they'll still make money off them. If you can pay say 20-30euros/dollars to get a 1302 char with every story questline cleared, it's likely very worth it in terms of time invested(saves you several days of questing and daillies).

Having 1-50 boosts ingame is likely a better solution for player retention too, and as such more spending overall. People aren't going to buy an infinite number of boosts, but by making it so they get early T1 chars only with the ingame boosts(well without effort), they'll likely grind more mats and more dailies and buy dailies skips or look into converting cash shop stuff for gold to buy currency/accessories/engraving books etc.

Considering New World lack of cash shop stuff though, I'd say Amazon is likely not really looking at maximizing profits anyway, and is more trying to get a success on their hands to then start making money back. They can milk the whales later on just fine, instead of scaring them away.

Introducing the in-game boosts for gold in RU and KR made sense, those versions have been running for years and had already sold plenty of boosts. While I like that AGS is adding it at launch, it's still a dumb move. They could have added cash boosts in like a month or so, then the gold boost later on. There's just zero benefit for them doing it now, unless they really, really wanted me to play. :p

Sure, they can still add cash boosts later, but the amount of potential profit they are missing out on will dwarf whatever they make from that, IMO.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Introducing the in-game boosts for gold in RU and KR made sense, those versions have been running for years and had already sold plenty of boosts. While I like that AGS is adding it at launch, it's still a dumb move. They could have added cash boosts in like a month or so, then the gold boost later on. There's just zero benefit for them doing it now, unless they really, really wanted me to play. :p

Sure, they can still add cash boosts later, but the amount of potential profit they are missing out on will dwarf whatever they make from that, IMO.
I'd agree if we were limited to T1, but with T3, being able to boost through 1-50 doesn't mean all that much, still gonna have to grind your way to 1300+, during which you will be tempted to buy random shit to make it less painful anyway.

If they had launched with T1 only, I think it'd have made sense to not have the gold boosts, cause leveling content was basically all there was and then 1month in when people are dead tired of leveling 1-50 shit boom you can buy boosts and make it easier, but with T3 right away, I think it does make sense because it'll get people to play more stuff(since there's enough content otherwise to just progress your main for a month and shit), spread out more, and be more likely to buy more costumes, consumables, time savers(Una instant tickets and shit, when people end up with 5alts they probably won't bother doing all their daillies).

One thing too is the fact they're offering TWELVE boosts for the first char. In KR, you get one char for your first char, then you need 3 chars for the 2nd(from what I read). That's a lot of boosts, but also a lot of gold on a fresh server with people not fully progressed. Know the best way to get a bunch of gold to pay for all these boosts? Cash.

Now in the end, we don't have the numbers and shit and maybe they're losing money but I'm not sure.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I'd agree if we were limited to T1, but with T3, being able to boost through 1-50 doesn't mean all that much, still gonna have to grind your way to 1300+, during which you will be tempted to buy random shit to make it less painful anyway.

If they had launched with T1 only, I think it'd have made sense to not have the gold boosts, cause leveling content was basically all there was and then 1month in when people are dead tired of leveling 1-50 shit boom you can buy boosts and make it easier, but with T3 right away, I think it does make sense because it'll get people to play more stuff(since there's enough content otherwise to just progress your main for a month and shit), spread out more, and be more likely to buy more costumes, consumables, time savers(Una instant tickets and shit, when people end up with 5alts they probably won't bother doing all their daillies).

One thing too is the fact they're offering TWELVE boosts for the first char. In KR, you get one char for your first char, then you need 3 chars for the 2nd(from what I read). That's a lot of boosts, but also a lot of gold on a fresh server with people not fully progressed. Know the best way to get a bunch of gold to pay for all these boosts? Cash.

Now in the end, we don't have the numbers and shit and maybe they're losing money but I'm not sure.

As I already mentioned, 1-50 is much more painful than 50+. Trust me on this. Or, do it 15 or so times, then we can discuss it again, lol. Granted, in RU 1-50 is quite a bit easier now, since they deleted a bunch of the sidequests, but it's still a slog.

Tiers 2 and 3 don't really add as much content as people seem to think. The MSQ through a continent is the main thing. You do that once (per char). Then you get 4 Guardian raids, which isn't really as much content as it sounds, you'll be grinding one until you reach the GS for the next, and eventually you'll just grind the easiest of them for mats. You get the next tier of Chaos Dungeons, but those aren't really new. It's still just a mob zerg, with a little more hp and damage. Nothing really changes. Basically, what I'm saying is that you'll be doing the exact same thing at every tier, there's not much variety except for the big raids. Which brings up the point that there's no reason to rush (especially to pay cash to rush) to the next tier. And tier 1 and 2 upgrades gold costs is pretty low. But, it increases exponentially. Rushing to t3 at launch, with a fresh economy, no leveled gathering skills, no leveled estate, is just asking to hit a wall. Sure, some people will spend cash at that wall, and/or to get to it, but most won't. Spending cash for things to sell on the AH for gold, when no one has any gold will be retarded. Remember what I said before, AH prices will change, the gold cost of upgrades at each tier is static. I could make 5 alt accounts and just gather ore and lumber every day and probably make more gold than a whale, at least early on. (Partially because the whales would be giving me their gold, lol)

I'm pretty sure you were allowed 9 gold boost in other regions, and you only needed 1 character to level through each continent, but maybe that has changed.

Anyways, like I said, I'm glad they did it. But, based on what we've seen from AGS, it's no stretch of the imagination to think they don't know what the fuck they are doing. :D

Last edited:

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
The real game is going to be the AH on NA East and it's going to be a damn good time!

• 1Weird Boner
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
As I already mentioned, 1-50 is much more painful than 50+. Trust me on this. Or, do it 15 or so times, then we can discuss it again, lol. Granted, in RU 1-50 is quite a bit easier now, since they deleted a bunch of the sidequests, but it's still a slog.

Tiers 2 and 3 don't really add as much content as people seem to think. The MSQ through a continent is the main thing. You do that once (per char). Then you get 4 Guardian raids, which isn't really as much content as it sounds, you'll be grinding one until you reach the GS for the next, and eventually you'll just grind the easiest of them for mats. You get the next tier of Chaos Dungeons, but those aren't really new. It's still just a mob zerg, with a little more hp and damage. Nothing really changes. Basically, what I'm saying is that you'll be doing the exact same thing at every tier, there's not much variety except for the big raids. Which brings up the point that there's no reason to rush (especially to pay cash to rush) to the next tier. And tier 1 and 2 upgrades gold costs is pretty low. But, it increases exponentially. Rushing to t3 at launch, with a fresh economy, no leveled gathering skills, no leveled estate, is just asking to hit a wall. Sure, some people will spend cash at that wall, and/or to get to it, but most won't. Spending cash for things to sell on the AH for gold, when no one has any gold will be retarded. Remember what I said before, AH prices will change, the gold cost of upgrades at each tier is static. I could make 5 alt accounts and just gather ore and lumber every day and probably make more gold than a whale, at least early on. (Partially because the whales would be giving me their gold, lol)

I'm pretty sure you were allowed 9 gold boost in other regions, and you only needed 1 character to level through each continent, but maybe that has changed.

Anyways, like I said, I'm glad they did it. But, based on what we've seen from AGS, it's no stretch of the imagination to think they don't know what the fuck they are doing. :D
Are you sure 1-50 will be worse than T1 to T3 prog on our server though? I mean on RU and KR I'm sure, cause there's already catchup mechanics, so it doesn't take long to upgrade your gear at each tier with 100% oil and what not, but on our version? I don't know if it'll be that fast or easy.

Like I get 1-50 is boring as shit, I've already done it twice and I don't really feel like doing it again, but the grind to reach T3 is likely to be several times slower on our server than it is on RU/KR currently and so it's quite possible it'll take longer than 1-50, and also require more effort.

That said it is speculation it could not be a problem, don't really know what systems we're getting.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Are you sure 1-50 will be worse than T1 to T3 prog on our server though? I mean on RU and KR I'm sure, cause there's already catchup mechanics, so it doesn't take long to upgrade your gear at each tier with 100% oil and what not, but on our version? I don't know if it'll be that fast or easy.

Like I get 1-50 is boring as shit, I've already done it twice and I don't really feel like doing it again, but the grind to reach T3 is likely to be several times slower on our server than it is on RU/KR currently and so it's quite possible it'll take longer, and also require more effort.

That said it is speculation it could not be a problem, don't really know what systems we're getting.

Post 50 is a grind, but the grind is the waiting, not the effort or time spent doing shit. You can do all the shit you can do for mats and shit every day in a very short time, then you're stuck til the next day. That's the whole premise the game's profit is based around. People spend cash cause they don't want to wait. 1-50 is just a very long, very boring snoozefest with zero challenge, or learning curve. And as you've seen, after you've done it once, it's even worse.

This is why having alts is so helpful and why these gold boosts are great. It's going to majorly speed up building up a stable to feed your main. Which gives you more to do per day, and makes the waiting more tolerable, while also speeding up your progression a decent amount.

Skipping a tier is hardly noticeable, since you're doing the exact same shit as the previous tier, just with a higher GS requirement. It used to be even worse, because the gear set bonuses at each tier were just really random and arbitrary, sometimes you'd trade up for the next tier gear set and it would be worse for your class than the old one. They changed that when they removed all set bonuses from t1 and t2 gear for whatever reason.

Nothing outside of the big raids, and certain of the Guardian raids (and the occasional tower floor) requires any effort whatsoever.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
ProTip: As soon as you hit 50, start making alts and boosting them in your estate. When you grind shit for mats with your alts, take the unbound mats you get and DON'T use them on your main. Sell them on the AH. Do this mostly at t2. You'll get yourself a decent starting bankroll, while those mats still have worth.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
They're gonna fuck up the servers again like with New World. It'll piss people off and drive them away.

willzilla

<Bronze Donator>
I plan to roll a Pally on Regulus.. Haven't played Lost Ark before but looks solid and picked up a founders pack for myself and my son (he's 10 so will play a zerker... hopefully I can keep him playing and off Roblox and Gary's Mod for a bit, lol).

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I plan to roll a Pally on Regulus.. Haven't played Lost Ark before but looks solid and picked up a founders pack for myself and my son (he's 10 so will play a zerker... hopefully I can keep him playing and off Roblox and Gary's Mod for a bit, lol).
YEah good luck with that. My kids are now 20 and 17 and still play that shit, lol.

• 1Worf

Janx

<Silver Donator>
I need to stop watching class videos. So many look cool as hell. We plan on discord for people rolling on Regulus? FoH discord or somewhere else?

Nola

Trakanon Raider
LOL, well, maybe there is some small hope! He has moved away from Fortnite so that's a plus at least!
Same my son finally slowed down playing Fortnite and has been playing Minecraft more. Dunno if that’s good or bad tbh.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I have the bronze pack atm, but thinking of upgrading to gold, is that the best value pack?

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I have plat and vacation - not sure when ill leave my basement when the 8th hits.

• 1Solidarity

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I have the bronze pack atm, but thinking of upgrading to gold, is that the best value pack?
Gold is the best value yeah, that said it might still be better value to just buy currency instead, they said they have a post about the cash shop to be released this week so we'll know more at that point. For example the char slot might not be worth it for you if you don't plan on having a bunch of chars, in which case it's effectively wasted value. I went with that since I expected to be spending some money anyway, will want a mount that goes fast(assuming we're not getting the KR QoL patch from a week ago) and like pet stats rerolls and what not.

• 1Like

Hieromonk

Lord Nagafen Raider
Same my son finally slowed down playing Fortnite and has been playing Minecraft more. Dunno if that’s good or bad tbh.
Minecraft is educational , those kids sure can build something in that game

better than my stupid chink cunt of a mum throwing thousand of dollars at king royale / candy crush shit
I hate this woman this fucking useless parents and I have to pretend like I am friend to them to get them play the normal games

fucking dutiful sheep heading the capitalist call spending their dwindling lower class salaries on poorly made shit

I got her hooked up on new world and ready to get her on lost ark / mortal online 2

even paid for annual subscription in Everquest 1 just in case and signed up for Geforce now so they can access my limitless steam library

any of it are better than throwing money at lame ass cellphone game

• 1Worf

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Minecraft is educational , those kids sure can build something in that game

better than my stupid chink cunt of a mum throwing thousand of dollars at king royale / candy crush shit
I hate this woman this fucking useless parents and I have to pretend like I am friend to them to get them play the normal games

fucking dutiful sheep heading the capitalist call spending their dwindling lower class salaries on poorly made shit

I got her hooked up on new world and ready to get her on lost ark / mortal online 2

even paid for annual subscription in Everquest 1 just in case and signed up for Geforce now so they can access my limitless steam library

any of it are better than throwing money at lame ass cellphone game
I have a sneaking suspicion that you have more problems than just mobile games.

• 8Worf
  • 1Mother of God
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 9 users