Lost Ark Online

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Another thing to keep in mind about engravings. This is a recent change in RU that I found out about the hard way. When you get a box of chooseable ones from an event, that box is account bound. But, when you pull the books out, they won't be bound. BUT, they recently made it so that if you mail them to someone they will become bound to that person. I lost out on the gold for 80 books because I didn't know they had changed it, lol.

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
Difference between Gunlancer and Artillerist (when it comes to demand, one over the other etc.)? If I dont like them, Im looking at (if all of these are available at launch, anyways) Shadowhunter. I like the tank aspect in most MMO's, but I just dont get the vibe that tanks are thought of in the traditional way in this game. So I dont know if I'll like playing either one. The Shadowhunter looks like a DPS class I would actually enjoy, though.

Also, engravings? I get that there are two engravings per class, but Im guessing there are more that arent class specific? Why is that guy saying that some people will max out one class engraving, then two on the next one, then saying that maxxing out two on the next class is "gimping" said class? How does it gimp it? If the gimping is based on the fact that you can only level engravings but so much in a given time frame, what is the player doing to level them? Just a lot of questions on engravings and there seems to be a mountain of articles to read when I search it and Im not even sure whats up to date and whats not when I look at them (or worse, whats available in KR vs the West release.)

The differences between Gunlancer & Artillerist are pretty substanstial. Gunlancer isn't a tank in the traditional sense but brings a metric fuckton of utility. The downside is it honestly plays a lot different than basically every other class and their dodge is off-putting. Artillerist tends to be a lower played class just by virtue of how their skills work (it's a lot of delayed / setting up, which feels great when you land but terrible when you miss). Shadowhunter is difficult not to recommend as it's just a fun class that will work in most settings.

Engravings become super important and are easily where most people will waste vasts amount of gold on in the AH. I'd honestly recommend reading up on a guide for it (or looking up a Youtube guide) to get a better understanding, here's a (decentish) start point:

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Mur

Trakanon Raider
The differences between Gunlancer & Artillerist are pretty substanstial. Gunlancer isn't a tank in the traditional sense but brings a metric fuckton of utility. The downside is it honestly plays a lot different than basically every other class and their dodge is off-putting. Artillerist tends to be a lower played class just by virtue of how their skills work (it's a lot of delayed / setting up, which feels great when you land but terrible when you miss). Shadowhunter is difficult not to recommend as it's just a fun class that will work in most settings.

Engravings become super important and are easily where most people will waste vasts amount of gold on in the AH. I'd honestly recommend reading up on a guide for it (or looking up a Youtube guide) to get a better understanding, here's a (decentish) start point:

Was just posting that same video. Good call.

Once you finish that watch this as well.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yea welcome to asian MMOs unfortunately. At least we're not getting the p2w cash shop in our release? Or at least not right away.

Melicant

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Interesting perspective on class selection, "tier lists," and meta classes from a guy who plays 8-12 hours per day with 24 alts and like $30,000 spent on the game in Korea. TL;DR, just play whatever feels and looks good to you.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Yea welcome to asian MMOs unfortunately. At least we're not getting the p2w cash shop in our release? Or at least not right away.

The only difference in the cash shop in our version is that you can buy most shit with blue crystals. Which cost gold, which is a rare resource that you're not going to have enough of to be buying much BC. For anyone that thinks LA is p2w then this will be too.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
TL;DR, just play whatever feels and looks good to you.
One thing Korean MMOs do REALLY well is constant class balancing. Even if your class is "shitty" in the current meta, it usually isn't THAT far behind and typically doesn't stay that way for long. They're pretty good about reworking classes that are busted. It isn't like WoW where a class just stays completed busted and OP/shitty for an entire expansion.

Maybe things are different with the LA devs though, I don't know.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Was just posting that same video. Good call.

Once you finish that watch this as well.

This would really drive me nuts. I guess this is where people would start swiping their credit cards to buy the mats for this gambling errr I meant upgrading system?

Raes

Vyemm Raider
This would really drive me nuts. I guess this is where people would start swiping their credit cards to buy the mats for this gambling errr I meant upgrading system?

No. The engravings available on ability stones are completely rng. And as you can see, so is the end result. Paying cash to get gold to buy stones off the AH is pretty stupid. There's no way to pay to get exactly what you want. Once you start reforging an ability stone it's bound to you. Besides, that's really late game stuff. Also, keep in mind that KR has been running for 3 years, a lot of the stuff that dude talks about doesn't really apply the same way to NA. At least not for a long while.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider

Nope. Ability stone RNG isn't something that you can swipe to win in the traditional sense, beyond buying additional tries for the stones from the AH which would be such a stupid waste of your gold/peons. You'll legitimately be getting 5-10 ability stones a day just from doing your chaos dungeons not to mention the other 1000s ways you can get some additional ones. Of course, getting the combination of abilities you like (plus rolling well) will take some time but this is just so overblown. It absolutely will not matter until far, far later into the game that it doesn't make sense for anyone to look at a video of this and worry.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
On engraving books btw since I see a video but the guy doesn't go over it that much I think, you can get A LOT of the green and blue ones pretty easily. There's vendors on certain islands that will sell like 3-5 books a week and there's several of these, so getting 20 is actually just a matter of buying out all the vendors for a week or two(maybe more for blues). They require different currencies depending on the vendor(Pirate coins for example or currency you get from that specific island event thing like pvp tournament and what not) and it can be rough to get enough currency for everything, but you can definitely buy some every week to slowly progress. You can also buy blue ones, usually less per week and for more currencies, but you can also get there to a decent pace. Also there's both general combat engraving and class specific ones too.

On top of that, the quests for the islands often reward boxes too. In fact if you do a bunch of the quests, you'll probably get enough books to buy your entire set of green and blue engravings for your main class. Some of the quests reward like 12 chests at a time and stuff(long quests with potentially daily time gate requirements I haven't looked into all of them, but still).

That means that any engraving you find of this tier is likely better sold regardless. Even if it's one you can use, it'd be better to get gold than to get +1 book when you can just farm the book later from a quest or weekly vendor anyway. As far as I understand, the books you buy for these weekly capped stuff or get from quests can't be sold(but could be wrong?)

Now any engraving past blue you can't buy from vendors, so that's really not something you should be selling for gold early on unless you set a really high price, because these have high value.

• 1Like

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
I did it wrong, bought the game, then proceeded to plan a vacation trip from the 10-13th haha. Well, I'll get whatever names I want I guess!

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I have the bronze pack atm, but thinking of upgrading to gold, is that the best value pack?
I had the same question about the founders packs, and a buddy of mine sent me this video. This guy says go bronze or platinum because the difference between silver and gold isn't that big.

I have no clue if any of that's true but I know a couple of my buddies have all Platinum.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Ok, everyone here and streamers are harping on and on about the auction house if I want to reach a certain point within a certain speed. There a cheat sheet out there that'll tell me whats worth it and not?

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I had the same question about the founders packs, and a buddy of mine sent me this video. This guy says go bronze or platinum because the difference between silver and gold isn't that big.

I have no clue if any of that's true but I know a couple of my buddies have all Platinum.

If you’re tight on money or skeptical about the game go bronze. If you have disposable income, already played the game and liked it and don’t mind spending $100 buck why not go platinum.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
So undecided on Gunlance, Paladin, or Wardancer. I'll probably just roll all 3 and decide after messing around with them at 50.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
If you’re tight on money or skeptical about the game go bronze. If you have disposable income, already played the game and liked it and don’t mind spending $100 buck why not go platinum.
Is this thing really worth $15 to play 3 days early?

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I feel like the Premium buff is all you're really paying for in that package. So in my mind, you would just be starting your sub 3 days earlier. 15 is fine if I get at least a 15-20 hours out of it (and thats very likely the case), but Im sure af not going to spend a hundo on a single game that I may or may not like in the long run when I know Ill never keep up with some sweaty ass nerd that has no bills.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That's not all you are paying for. Also how much do you care about names?

Otherwise just wait the 3 days, in the long term is nothing, like every other game.