Lost Ark Online

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yes, of course Regulus is now the most popular. Quick lets change to Una ../laugh

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Looks like some of the older leadership I was wary about is no longer in control of the Discord. So my concerns about how obnoxious it would be are kind of put to rest.

Asmongold doesnt seem very interested in the game from what Ive seen. Looks like he's just playing it because of viewership. He's already complained about playing WoW, New World and FFXIV taking up most of his time and cried about adding a fourth MMO. "I guess I could spend 4 hours on each a day." But who knows?
Eh, maybe previously but all of his alt streams have been watching LA videos the past week (Sywo, etc). He seems genuinely pumped

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Also based on that spreadsheet, Regulus has overtaken as the highest pop server by a lot. But maybe people will see that and go elsewhere.

How does this one compare to BDO Kirun Kirun ? I loved BDO (played it on two separate occasions), but the grind for gear is what broke me. I did grind the shit out of horses though, making a T9 horse entirely from my own breeding.

But I loved grinding out tons of mobs on my Lahn. Heck, even competing with someone trying to take my rotation was fun.
I'd say the combat system is just about every bit as fun as BDO - maybe a little less, maybe a little more depending on your preference for isometric, classes, kits, etc. in comparison to BDO. I personally enjoyed BDO's combat system a tad more, but that's just me. LA's system is still fun as fuck. I'd argue that LA is a little bit "sweatier" in comparison to BDO, but that mostly only applies to raids, groups, etc.

Not really sure on how "grindy" the gear treadmill is, tbh. It sounds like it's every bit as grindy as BDO though. Sure, the RNG might not break your gear, but people who tried to self-enhance in BDO were pants on head anyways and 99% of the time didn't understand how the system worked, broke a bunch of their shit, and then blamed the game for them not being smart about things.

I'd still be playing BDO if not for them continuing to design artificial problems and then offering to sell you the solution. Everything else in that game I fuckin' loved and it was by far my favorite MMO since EQ. But, they became extremely predatory with the cash shop once they fully took over publishing in NA.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Also based on that spreadsheet, Regulus has overtaken as the highest pop server by a lot. But maybe people will see that and go elsewhere.

How does this one compare to BDO Kirun Kirun ? I loved BDO (played it on two separate occasions), but the grind for gear is what broke me. I did grind the shit out of horses though, making a T9 horse entirely from my own breeding.

But I loved grinding out tons of mobs on my Lahn. Heck, even competing with someone trying to take my rotation was fun.

View attachment 397211
Gameplay loop is very different than BDO. BDO largely was "do your cooking boxes, tend to your fields, then grind trash mobs for x hours, maybe be forced to pvp at some point during that time". I know they added a dungeon so not sure about that part but overall that was the loop. Lost Ark loop is "log on alts, do easy dungeon/boss fights dailies, log on main, do easy dungeon/boss fight dailies, do weeklies including raids, do time sensitive event stuff if it's up, do timegated account progression if out of stuff to progress char".

It has similar upgrade based gearing systems, but the upgrades don't go down, however you can't buy upgraded items like you can on BDO either. The game is a lot more traditional mmo in what content you're doing (running dungeons, killing bosses, doing weekly raids with gimmicks and complex movement based one shot/instant wipe mechanics) than BDO is. Ironically BDO feels more like an ARPG Diablo-like game with its farming random mobs for hours on end for rare drops/consistent currency, than Lost Ark does. They are similar in how you're not expected to gear up in 1-2months like wow/ff, and it's more a slow process over 4-6months or even more.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Regulus, Azena and Una all "appear" to have a sizable amount of communities going to them, and maybe I'm being overly optimistic here, but I don't see queues being as bad as ppl fear.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Excited for tomorrow but won't be able to get on until the afternoon - hopefully will have a better idea about queues etc by then. Interested to see how they'll handle the hordes and how quickly they can spin up new servers.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I was saying Una only because it was the 3rd on the list and apparently it does help to have some population. I am not sure why but I will go with that.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I am happy it is 12 noon EST. Usually they launch at like 5 PM which would go right through my work schedule. I get a nice comfortable 2.5 hours to get some names and try the game out before work.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
They did mention they already had servers ready to go to expand depending on how it goes, but I fully expect every launch server to be queues up the ass anyway. Big streamer or not, mind you, but those popular ones are especially going to be congested I'd assume, so personally I'm more aiming for one of the smaller server and just hope I can get in early and then not log out. Sadly I have FFXIV raid right after launch, so I'm gonna have to see if I can run the game minimized and hope I don't crash/DC while that goes on(although on the nice side since my sleeping schedule is completely fucked I'll be playing all night until morning so should be able to relog if that's the case as people go to bed).

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'd say the combat system is just about every bit as fun as BDO - maybe a little less, maybe a little more depending on your preference for isometric, classes, kits, etc. in comparison to BDO. I personally enjoyed BDO's combat system a tad more, but that's just me. LA's system is still fun as fuck. I'd argue that LA is a little bit "sweatier" in comparison to BDO, but that mostly only applies to raids, groups, etc.

Not really sure on how "grindy" the gear treadmill is, tbh. It sounds like it's every bit as grindy as BDO though. Sure, the RNG might not break your gear, but people who tried to self-enhance in BDO were pants on head anyways and 99% of the time didn't understand how the system worked, broke a bunch of their shit, and then blamed the game for being them not being smart about things.

I'd still be playing BDO is not for them continuing to design artificial problems and then offering to sell you the solution. Everything else in that game I fuckin' loved and it was by far my favorite MMO since EQ. But, they became extremely predatory with the cash shop once they fully took over publishing in NA.

Gameplay loop is very different than BDO. BDO largely was "do your cooking boxes, tend to your fields, then grind trash mobs for x hours, maybe be forced to pvp at some point during that time". I know they added a dungeon so not sure about that part but overall that was the loop. Lost Ark loop is "log on alts, do easy dungeon/boss fights dailies, log on main, do easy dungeon/boss fight dailies, do weeklies including raids, do time sensitive event stuff if it's up, do timegated account progression if out of stuff to progress char".

It has similar upgrade based gearing systems, but the upgrades don't go down, however you can't buy upgraded items like you can on BDO either. The game is a lot more traditional mmo in what content you're doing (running dungeons, killing bosses, doing weekly raids with gimmicks and complex movement based one shot/instant wipe mechanics) than BDO is. Ironically BDO feels more like an ARPG Diablo-like game with its farming random mobs for hours on end for rare drops/consistent currency, than Lost Ark does. They are similar in how you're not expected to gear up in 1-2months like wow/ff, and it's more a slow process over 4-6months or even more.
I guess my question was more about how "twitchy" or sweaty the combat is, based on Kirun Kirun 's comment. Basically, if I could hold my own in BDO, is Lost Ark sweatier?

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I guess my question was more about how "twitchy" or sweaty the combat is, based on Kirun Kirun 's comment. Basically, if I could hold my own in BDO, is Lost Ark sweatier?
I feel like BDO was a little more on the "fighting game"/executing combos side of things, whereas LA is a little more on the "MOBA/League of Legends"/landing skill shots side of things. If that makes sense?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Na BDO combat is "twitchier" imo. The PvP in Lost Ark does have some reflex based shit and stuff as usual, since there's rolls and such, but overall the combat feels a bit simpler.

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider

BDO is significantly more twitch. Lost Ark plays like a more traditional MMO (e.g., the complicated stuff is less about your reaction time and more about your ability to memorize increasingly challenging patterns and learning how to maximize your DPS in spite of those patterns occurring).

PVP is a completely different beast but I still wouldn't qualify it as being 'twitch' based. It's more about knowing how the 50 versions of CC works and how to maximize a CC lock to burst down your opponents during those windows, while minimizing the amount of time you and your team are exposed to those scenarios. This is why you'll hear people talk a lot about how super armor is incredibly powerful in PVP and 21:9 ratio is a must.

WorryPlaysGames

Blackwing Lair Raider
So for a new player - how long does it take to actually get into and do T3 stuff? Do you have to complete T1 and T2 first or can you skip tiers?

Is it like a MMO expansion where you are in the raid and beating it by week 1 or are T1 stuff months to do and the T3 is like 6 months away for a normal player?

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
I was saying Una only because it was the 3rd on the list and apparently it does help to have some population. I am not sure why but I will go with that.

The plat pack is currently #1 on steam, the gold pack is #3, the bronze pack #4, and the silver pack #5. It's an MMO that is being advertised by Amazon with a launch event that is including hundreds of streamers (they even got Krip to stop playing Hearthstone for an hour). Amazon has also stayed pretty silent on how they're going to be handling queues and such. In short, it's not possible to pick a server ahead of time that won't run the risk of being hit by a queue, short of having everyone hold off on making characters until a new server comes up. Every single MMO launch has queues and while I'm sympathetic and want to avoid having folks stuck in a lengthy queue and not being able to play with the group, switching servers at the last minute because a reddit population post is showing that the server will be popular is way too knee-jerk. Totally understand if some opt to aim for a lower pop server to avoid the potential of queues though and still hope you jump on Discord to chat and ask questions!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Outside of PvP encounters, I'll have to disagree with others here. I feel LA is twitchier, especially in the "endgame" content. If you mess up you're dead and maybe your party. In BDO, you don't see that except in the Nightmare boss encounters, but people just use throwaway alts instead of mains.

Edit: Though most of my experience in BDO is from playing a Witch, one of the most chill grinders.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Raes

Vyemm Raider
So for a new player - how long does it take to actually get into and do T3 stuff? Do you have to complete T1 and T2 first or can you skip tiers?

Is it like a MMO expansion where you are in the raid and beating it by week 1 or are T1 stuff months to do and the T3 is like 6 months away for a normal player?

It's impossible to predict exactly. When I initially played through t1 and t2 in RU, prior to current catchup mechanic, it was a completely different game. But here are some basics:

Going from one tier to the next requires you to get all your gear to +15. Getting to +6 is 100% chance, after that it begins to decrease. Getting the last few plusses has a very low chance, but there is a pity mechanic. Gold costs for upgrading t1 is pretty low, but t2 is a decent bit higher. You can easily blow all your gold/mats at higher + levels and not make much/any progress. Still, getting to t3 shouldn't take all that long. Maybe somewhere between 3-5 weeks depending on your luck? Also, AGS may have made some changes due to having T3 at launch, so there's that too.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The plat pack is currently #1 on steam, the gold pack is #3, the bronze pack #4, and the silver pack #5. It's an MMO that is being advertised by Amazon with a launch event that is including hundreds of streamers (they even got Krip to stop playing Hearthstone for an hour). Amazon has also stayed pretty silent on how they're going to be handling queues and such. In short, it's not possible to pick a server ahead of time that won't run the risk of being hit by a queue, short of having everyone hold off on making characters until a new server comes up. Every single MMO launch has queues and while I'm sympathetic and want to avoid having folks stuck in a lengthy queue and not being able to play with the group, switching servers at the last minute because a reddit population post is showing that the server will be popular is way too knee-jerk. Totally understand if some opt to aim for a lower pop server to avoid the potential of queues though and still hope you jump on Discord to chat and ask questions!
We switched servers last minute on New World and it was disastrous. Not only were people all spread out, but we were in different factions and all kinds of shit. Then, to top it off - the server, since it was an easier queue, did not hold up over time. Granted that last point was because New World died in a blaze of glory, but I think it still has relevance to the conversation. Im fine with Regulus and after reading up on the benefits of a heavy population and how gearing etc. works - I pretty much want to be on a heavy server. Basically, I understand your choice and Im not surprised you're sticking with it.

Also, Ive been scouring videos and guides for the last week and a half on this game. I think Ive heard every server mentioned at least twice as a destination for streamers and a few of them have more followers than Asmongold does.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users