Lost Ark Online

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
maybe that's why they all suck?
Yeah, not like the "good 'ole days" of EQ, DAoC, etc. where people NEVER bought accounts, in-game currency, or ANY of that sort of thing. They were totally above board!

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Yeah, if there is one thing about modern MMOs that doesn't exist, it's DEFINITELY using real-life money to buy in-game currency. That shit literally NEVER happens, but then along came Lost Ark and fucked it all up!

Show me a game that allows you to do this, and I'll show you a game that sucks.

Breaking the TOS to buy currency is not the same as the game developer flat out selling you gold.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
You're right, "black market" sales are much worse, I agree.

Worse in what way? Games where buying in game currency is against the TOS are worse than ones where you can just buy gold from the developer? I disagree.

When a game developer builds the ability to pay RL money for in game currency into their game, it incentivizes them financially to design the game in ways that will maximize their profit.

This is Korean Gaming 101 and why their games are known for having such grind in them.

I also learned this game is banned in some European countries under the no-lootbox laws that have started to be introduced, which made me chuckle.

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Worse in what way? Games where buying in game currency is against the TOS are worse than ones where you can just buy gold from the developer? I disagree.

When a game developer builds the ability to pay RL money for in game currency into their game, it incentivizes them financially to design the game in ways that will maximize their profit.

This is Korean Gaming 101 and why their games are known for having such grind in them.

I also learned this game is banned in some European countries under the no-lootbox laws that have started to be introduced, which made me chuckle.
True, games that have black markets definitely don't design any sort of financial "incentives" into the game to entice players. They're all about making sure that players have the best experience possible and don't give a shit about money or profit at all!

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
True, games that have black markets definitely don't design any sort of financial "incentives" into the game to entice players. They're all about making sure that players have the best experience possible and don't give a shit about money or profit at all!

Glad you agree with me. Since you didn't post any relevant counterpoints, I can only assume you were being completely straight with me, since simply posting nothing but sarcasm would be a bitch move, and we both know you're not a bitch, right?

• 1Cringe

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Changing all the skill keybinds made this 100x more enjoyable

• 1Solidarity

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Since you didn't post any relevant counterpoints
What counterpoint do I have to make? You're the one who put forth the argument that this game is P2W without hardly any evidence except for shit "you've researched". It's on YOU to prove that claim, not me to refute it.

Show me this "perfect game" you apparently know about where the devs have designed nary a single financial incentive into it. I and many others would love to play it, I'm sure.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
What counterpoint do I have to make? You're the one who put forth the argument that this game is P2W without hardly any evidence except for shit "you've researched". It's on YOU to prove that claim, not me to refute it.

Show me this "perfect game" you apparently know about where the devs have designed nary a single financial incentive into it. I and many others would love to play it, I'm sure.

You know that saying I hardly provided any evidence, when I have a laundry list of evidence up above, makes you look like an idiot, correct?

You have claimed games with black markets are worse the games that build buying currency into the actual game.

I have already provided points on why they are not. I have provided examples. You have provided bitchy and mocking sarcasm and nothing else.

I'm not getting dragged any deeper with someone who is either a low effort troll or an idiot.

Either argue the points above like Pyros did, or get ignored. No perfect games exist, but at the moment, the one I am playing, Final Fantasy 14, handles RMT extremely well, and has no systems for buying currency via Real money. Feel free to try to tell me how FF14's systems are worse than Lost Arks.

You won't though.

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>

you are purposefully being dense. Chys's initial post outlined all the mechanics that this game is built around a cash shop, in addition to literally every other MMO that came from korea.

don't worry though, someone's opinion doesn't mean you can't have fun with the game. not everyone needs to go balls deep in the FOTM mmo

• 1Like

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
2957 in queue, but looks like every server East and West are this packed or worse.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
you are purposefully being dense. Chys's initial post outlined all the mechanics that this game is built around a cash shop, in addition to literally every other MMO that came from korea.

don't worry though, someone's opinion doesn't mean you can't have fun with the game. not everyone needs to go balls deep in the FOTM mmo

I'm kinda confused overall to be honest. I've stated I'm going to try the game out myself, and I wouldn't do that if I didn't think potential was there to have fun. None of it means that Lost Ark is a bad game, or that it won't be fun, or that it's wrong to enjoy it.

Just that I won't be getting too seriously into it because it's a hardcore grind/Korean pay-to-win model MMO and I'm not down with that.

I will also absolutely blast it for being Pay to win + Loot boxes + a Predatory business model. This kind of gaming model /needs/ to be mocked and driven out of the industry. But it won't.

Edit: Reading this thread is just depressing

Last edited:

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
2957 in queue, but looks like every server East and West are this packed or worse.

Guild is filled right now, so we'll be cleaning up the roster. With that being said, a 3k queue is about 30 minutes (so it's nowhere near as bad). If I missed a tag on someone, hop into Discord and send me your name and I'll see if we have any alts that can be removed.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
How do you Pay to Win in Lost Ark?

Players can buy Royal Crystals with real money. They can buy some items directly with these or they can also convert them into Crystals. Crystals are used to buy a number of items, activate pet functions, acquire additional loot, and items from Mari’s Secret Store (a store that rotates its inventory every 24 hours and allows players to buy items there up to 72 hours after).

Players can also buy Gold with Royal Crystals from other players in the in-game Auction House. Gold is typically the greatest limiting factor in how quickly a player can progress their item level and access new content. This is a key part of the player driven economy; as the value of a players time in obtaining Gold is now a factor to take into consideration.

Crystalline Aura

The Crystalline Aura is a subscription service that provides numerous benefits to player convenience, quality of life, and various boosts to make your character stronger. Many advantages have been removed entirely to make the game fairer for those who choose not to pay for it. However, there still remains a number of minor benefits that do ultimately affect the rate at which you progress in the game.

Some Cosmetic Avatars provide a very little stat boost. The effective bonus provides roughly around ~1% boost. It’s not very much and many can be obtained during seasonal in-game events but is a factor to be considered in the P2W argument.

Pets
Pets can also come with a subscription that cost Crystals. This subscription does provide both defensive and offensive stats to your character. And changing those bonuses also costs Crystals too.

Mounts
Mounts bought from the cash shop are legendary and have a slightly faster base movement speed than other ones.

Legendary Mount:
Movement Speed 450 units per second
Dash may be further or useable more often
Epic and lower Mounts:
Movement Speed 420 units per second
There are Legendary mounts that exist in the game and are obtainable without paying. They require a significant amount of time invested however.

Cards

Cards are collectible items that provide a stat bonus once obtaining a specific set of cards. In early stages of the game they are not very significant bonuses, but at later stages of the end game they are key in reaching a characters maximum potential. Unfortunately, many cards needed in a set are randomly obtained through Card Packs. Card Packs can be bought with Royal Crystals and Crystals.

Rapport Gifts

Gaining reputation with specific NPCs gives cards, currency and other items that boost a characters power. Some legendary rapport items used to increase your reputation with an NPC can be found within packages purchased with Royal Crystals and sometimes Crystals. There are other sources of these items found throughout the game, but it’s clear this will speed up that process as well.

Consumables

Difficult End Game Raids require the use of Battle Items. These are consumables like Health Potions, Bombs, and other Utilities. They are crafted in a players stronghold with the use of life skills. They can also be found in Battle Item Chests that can be purchased with Royal Crystals and Crystals. They can also be bought from the Auction House with Gold. If a player doesn’t have the time to invest in obtaining these, buying them with real money is certainly an option.

Daily Una Tasks

If you don’t have enough time to complete these tasks in the day you can simply purchase “[Daily] Una’s Task Instant Completion Pass” with Crystals.

Have fun buying those card packs :D
I wish there was someone not so lazy as to consolidate these posts into the first page maybe, as I think useful information often times gets buried so quickly.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Either argue the points above like Pyros did, or get ignored. No perfect games exist, but at the moment, the one I am playing, Final Fantasy 14, handles RMT extremely well, and has no systems for buying currency via Real money. Feel free to try to tell me how FF14's systems are worse than Lost Arks.
Shocker! The guy with a weeb avatar is sucking on the nuts of FFXIV and trashing other MMOs in some vain attempt at white-knighting his #1 Waifu Yoshida!!! WHAT A SURPRISE!

FFXIV DEFINITELY doesn't have any "P2W" mechanics like story "skips"(gee, having a dogshit story that everyone wants to "boost" through DEFINITELY wouldn't be an example of devs creating an artificial "block" where they sell you the solution, right?!), character level boosts, basically being "forced" to purchase extra retainers because they limit the FUCK out of how many items you can list(gee, another artificial "block" where they sell you the solution, weird!), etc.

Look at that, I just provided a "list" of P2W mechanics, therefore my point is proven and if you attempt to refute it, you're just a bitchboi!

Now, if you want to settle the fuck down and decide LA isn't for you because it's too "P2W" for you and you don't enjoy it? That's fine. But if you want to come in here spewing retarded bullshit because FFXIV is your #1 Waifu, I'll show you how "P2W" these forums are and you can fuck off to screenshots for a while.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
I'm kinda confused overall to be honest. I've stated I'm going to try the game out myself, and I wouldn't do that if I didn't think potential was there to have fun. None of it means that Lost Ark is a bad game, or that it won't be fun, or that it's wrong to enjoy it.

Just that I won't be getting too seriously into it because it's a hardcore grind/Korean pay-to-win model MMO and I'm not down with that.

I will also absolutely blast it for being Pay to win + Loot boxes + a Predatory business model. This kind of gaming model /needs/ to be mocked and driven out of the industry. But it won't.
Yes it doesn’t mean you can’t have fun it just means they add all sorts of bullshit from a developmental standpoint to encourage cash shop purchases. Multiple currencies and shit?please. and frankly that combined with the daily weekly monthly timer bullshit for everything has made mmos terrible imo. Or I’m just a filthy old casual now, prob both

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Already down to 1800 so it is moving quick, should have enough time to scarf some Chinese, and get settled.