Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

Knytestorme_sl

shitlord
It could be, i just figured because they do a lot of speed records and racing on Lake Gairdner that is what he might have in mind. I really do hope they go into detail of the locations in the prequels.
Yeah, I can see the reasoning and I may have misconstrued things. My reasoning was that they came through the salt flats to find the mothers and then with the "160 days" ride and Max's response I just figured that the salt flats and bog (again, assumed result of wet season on the flats and not a constant) would need to be a lot bigger and Eyre fit the bill. I think we can all agree though that it's not the Simpson or anywhere in NT though right?

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Just to go meta, I liked John Wick more than this.

There wasn't a movie between John Wick and Max I liked more than Max though. (If Kingsman was 2 hours of fireworks/church-scene level insanity, then it would have been in the running.)

That said, the writing of the ending was rather crap. Don't Joe's forces clear the pass in the course of the movie, if they are chasing after them in the salt flats? Why is not-completely-blocking-it a win condition for Max's forces? Just because the handful of them have high ground once they get there? Why don't Oil Town and Bullet Farm send their reserves in? Etc.

I assume(?) that when the war rig crashed, there was supposed to be some pyrotechnic apocalypse that killed off the rest of Joe's forces, but the CG turned out badly. That's the only reason that makes sense as to why Max and crew aren't killed after the pass.

Northerner

N00b
Yeah, there were flaws in the writing I suppose. I sure didn't give a shit though and I'm generally pretty nit-picky on that sort of thing.

Fun movie was fun! Great tone, great scenes and spectacular job at hitting that Mad Max vibe.

khalid

Unelected Mod
That's the only reason that makes sense as to why Max and crew aren't killed after the pass.
Seems like sieging the base would be pretty much impossible. A place you can only get into easily by crane, that ALSO happens to control the food and water supply? All the "besieged" would have to do is hole up and oil town and bullet farm would be suing for peace in a few days.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
totally epic movie, i think it got about as close to road warrior as anyone ever will. yes it has flaws, but none of them take away from its sheer fucking awesomeness and it had tons of callbacks to road warrior to geek out over. will definitely be purchasing this on blu ray. god i loved that double caddy monster truck.

iannis

Musty Nester
I like this as well. It's shows restraint (from a screenwriter and director standpoint). Obvious romance is always obvious, fucking boring, and adds little to an action plot. You have to sit through "that scene" where the two finally embrace in a boring kiss.

I'm trying to think of other movies where it's more about friendship between the man and woman, versus the bullshit falling in love cliche.
Dredd.

This movie reminded me of Dredd in the way that it was an action movie and "HOLY SHIT THAT WAS AWESOME AND IT DIDN'T REALLY EXPECT IT TO BE".

iannis

Musty Nester
Other than the latter half of Thunderdome, he has a pretty fucking awesome record.
It doesn't hold up, granted. But you gotta remember that Thunderdome came out during The Goonies / ET / Speilberg motherfucking ascendant timeframe. It fit the summer it released very, very well. That was just the mood of audiences. They wanted Tina singing a catchy themesong with a bunch of children ala "We Are The World".

Listen to those two songs even, they are very similar. "we are the world" and "we don't need another hero". They are basically variations on a theme.

Caliane

Just to go meta, I liked John Wick more than this.

There wasn't a movie between John Wick and Max I liked more than Max though. (If Kingsman was 2 hours of fireworks/church-scene level insanity, then it would have been in the running.)

That said, the writing of the ending was rather crap. Don't Joe's forces clear the pass in the course of the movie, if they are chasing after them in the salt flats? Why is not-completely-blocking-it a win condition for Max's forces? Just because the handful of them have high ground once they get there? Why don't Oil Town and Bullet Farm send their reserves in? Etc.

I assume(?) that when the war rig crashed, there was supposed to be some pyrotechnic apocalypse that killed off the rest of Joe's forces, but the CG turned out badly. That's the only reason that makes sense as to why Max and crew aren't killed after the pass.
Warlord behavior. Kings dead, long live the king. Even more so with the cult-like fanaticism. The supposed Immortal leader died. His kids died. The brother is alive, and likely through his lot in with Furiosa+friends. And having lived, and killed Immortan Joe, they would likely be seen as superhuman too.

Without his body, the plan makes less sense for sure though. Yeah, they were going back to a heavily armed citadel. Even if they "left only the sick and kids". Leaders of the other towns also died. and who knows how much their people would care either, vs again power struggle.

The ending definitely does not solve everything. bullet town might invade now. again... power struggle.. With the warboys having also be landed major blows, they are defenseless.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
It's all bullshit when regular folks say Thunderdome sucked. Thunderdome was a great movie. It did well, it beat both original films combined at the box office and made 4x it's budget. That's pretty successful. Of the 3 movies, it's the most quotable and everyone has seen it.

Anyone who says Thunderdome sucks should immediately be asked: Name any two characters (including Max) from the first two films. Because other than geeks, no one ever really watched the first two films from start to finish. So I never really understand what they're basing it on.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
It's all bullshit when regular folks say Thunderdome sucked. Thunderdome was a great movie. It did well, it beat both original films combined at the box office and made 4x it's budget. That's pretty successful. Of the 3 movies, it's the most quotable and everyone has seen it.

Anyone who says Thunderdome sucks should immediately be asked: Name any two characters (including Max) from the first two films. Because other than geeks, no one ever really watched the first two films from start to finish. So I never really understand what they're basing it on.
Saying it sucked and saying it was successful is two different things. Also, thanks to the magic of VHS, DVDS, etc, it's extremely possible that viewership changed since 1985. Note, for example, RW has 106K ratings on IMDB versus Thunderdome's 81K. Also, a 7.6 vs 6.2 average rating. Can you imagine how viewership might change based on word of mouth of the differing quality of the two films after THIRTY plus years? Jesus Christ, I can't believe you're making the argument you're making.

Also, given that those were Australian films, it's worth noting The Road Warrior made more than twice what Beyond Thunderdome did in that country.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Movie was all you guys hyped it up to be!!

Loved the practical effects on all of the vehicles. It's refreshing not to have an entire CGI shitfest!

This will be added to my BluRay collection for sure.

Siliconemelons

Almost done fully re-watching the first one- there are so many little things are here and there- the saxophone - the simpleton guy - even pole vaulting was in the first and in places throughout... crazy... its good re-watching and will be fun to go through Road Warrior and Thunderdome to then Fury Road.

Siliconemelons

That's what I thought, I find it funny if it does not pass the test "they" made up... it something to the extent of- more than 1 female character that's not just "extra" or "background" I think with a speaking roll - they have to talk to each other, about something other than a man/men and something else... So yeah if all they talk about - female to female is immortan joe, then fail! lol, that's kinda funny.

stupid Wikipedia wasting my time!!

Mad Max: Fury Road - Bechdel Test Movie List

yeah lol... it fails the test to measure equality by! but is lauded as the best feminist movie! whhhaaa?

At least the man awesome movie test is universal 1: was it awesome? 2: explosions? not baysplosions and 3: man being awesome
Lol and to whomever negged me- the site is constantly user updated- and when I first looked (and linked) it was a fail, its a pass now with more input.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Almost done fully re-watching the first one- there are so many little things are here and there- the saxophone - the simpleton guy - even pole vaulting was in the first and in places throughout... crazy... its good re-watching and will be fun to go through Road Warrior and Thunderdome to then Fury Road.
The only throwback I immediately recognized was the little music box one of the girls had was in one of the earlier films.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Lol and to whomever negged me- the site is constantly user updated- and when I first looked (and linked) it was a fail, its a pass now with more input.
I didn't neg you but did you write that post before you saw the movie? I don't know how you could think it failed the test if you had seen the movie.

Siliconemelons

I didn't neg you but did you write that post before you saw the movie? I don't know how you could think it failed the test if you had seen the movie.
I didn't write the post on that site or grade it... what I was saying- was, at the time - while it was getting sjw femi-praise it was listed- by their own litmus test to have failed- while obviously it is a passing movie... and the fact that people on that site put up and grade movies without actually seeing them "madmax? bah man movie it must fail"