Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

Siliconemelons

The easteregg vid was nice- I think they missed a good one, it was mentioned about his hair- but in Thunderdome the skull kid took his hair clippings just like a young warboy (based off of the skullkids look) took his hair clippings.

Was a great movie- I hope it gets nods at the award things for all the stunts etc.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I went and saw this again.

Am I the only one who wants to have a daughter and name her Furiosa?

Goonsquad Officer
Feel bad for Imortan Joe. Dude has something stable in the citadel, except his war boys keep dieing of illness and he keeps having mutant babies. One good heir and he can die in peace with some one to carry on. that's all the man wants. he tried to get his son back and then the mom dies. he can't even take time to mourn before furiosa comes back to steal his house too.

Its really a movie about the hardships of leadership in a tough time.

Oldbased

> Than U
I like how several stations are playing nothing but all the Mad Max's and Jurassic movies this weekend/week.

Caliane

surprised to see the guitar at the end was a practical effect... kind of impressed, actually
seriously, wtf? I thought that was cgi. in fact, complained cause I thought that shot looked out of place, like bad cgi.. bad composite I guess... but wow.
I don't think that needs to be spoilered..
"I thought the best we could do was at least shoot the guitar," says Jackson. "It was all wires and flame throwers and had fuel lines that were broken and leaking fuel and various bits of wires dangling off. I just imagined that for real coming up to the camera and bouncing back. We set up a shoot for that where we hung the guitar from bungies on a cherry picker. I suggested that if you pull the guitar back and release it in exactly the same way it will always go back to the same spot. We released it and marked where it was going to and put a camera exactly there, so we could repeat that event and push the camera slightly closer."

Even the steering wheel that flies out after the guitar was achieved photographically, as Jackson explains: "We shot that on a little gimbal spinning. In the end, George wanted to push right into the mouth of the wheel, but the resolution wasn't enough, so we tracked the action of the spinning wheel on the gimbal and I built a little rig to photograph that with a high res stills camera. So we matched the motion of the spinning one and did a really high res version - like stop motion. Pushing right into the mouth of the steering wheel was all a live action element."

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I actually thought the guitar flame looked like the most fake thing in the movie and thought it was CGI. I thought that going back to the the trailers and it worried me. Then I saw they said in the RLM review vid that it was real, and Mike agreed he thought it was fake. Really impressive how much attention to detail was insisted upon. Its like the process of making a film like this is a lost art these days. As great as computers are, CGI has ruined certain aspects of movies.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
The guitar was very Borderlands. Wish they had a truck full of midgets. Might of pushed this from a 98 to a 99.

Jive Turkey

Karen
seriously, wtf? I thought that was cgi. in fact, complained cause I thought that shot looked out of place, like bad cgi.. bad composite I guess... but wow.
I don't think that needs to be spoilered..
I only spoilered since it was at the end of the movie... Even though I thought it was cgi (and you're right, it did look like it), I kinda didn't mind that they waited till the very end to hit us over the head with some crazy over the top, cg retardedness. After all the insanity and destruction, it felt to me like a little last wink and a "fuck you" (in a good way) to the audience.

But ya, maybe some bad compositing and roto... or maybe we're just so programmed to assume certain things are cg that we just see it that way... I'll have to watch again and take a closer look

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
This movie better win best editing and best cinematography at the very least.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The cinematography, as in how the shots were lit and framed, actually wasn't great. It's mostly just rolling crane work, which isn't really that impressive.

Siliconemelons

I think the only flaw is that it was not 100% real or not in certain things- the giant dust storm- our brain moves into "we believe the CG" but the - albeit few - pure CG elements put in, did have a bit of a skew.. once scene with furiosa climbing into the bottom of the tanker it was like "CG LEGS" at least to me.

But really it was an awesome movie, a worthy addition to MadMax- and... I kinda missed Gibson.

Jive Turkey

Karen
I mean, it's not impressive to the people who get to vote in the category of cinematography.
The DOP has a lot more say than just how things are lit and framed. The people voting are precisely the kind of people who would realize how technically difficult it was to get most of these shots

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Random thing I'm still chuckling about was the injured guy who did the suicide dive. Was so wtf. Gotta get chromed up and pretty for Valhalla.

So, uh, why was this R? One shot of a naked MILF from a mile away?

Fallout 4 needs bolt cutters.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
So lemme get this straight. Some of you are getting all pissy cause some shot or another was CGI (I don't think the guitar was the only one mentioned so far). Then you find out it wasn't CGI and now you're OK with it? I mean, if you can't actually tell the fucking difference between a real shot and a CGI shot, then why do you care?

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
That might affect their belief in CGI inferiority or the infallibility of real stuff and people are more apt to double down on a belief than revisit it.

That said, I really disliked the ending shot with the guitar and wheel. I don't care how it was filmed. It seemed like such a ridiculous just-for-3D thing and even if it was meant as a joke or an FU to 3D itself, it still took me out of the film for a moment, which is a shitty thing to do right near the end.