Mad Men

Golt_sl

shitlord
Just watched the premier episode, forgot this had even started up again (I blame GoT). But it was only a 1-hour episode for me, did i end up missing half of the ep? Thought this was supposed to be a 2hour episode to start things off.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
The whole episode I'm think "man, I really wanted to see him more broken than this" instead of his normal moody self.

And then we get to the scene at the end. Looks like it's finally sinking in that he's a total fuck up.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I loved the reveal with Freddy Rumsen. Wasn't expecting that at all.

It also sucks that Lou Avery is so clearly bad at his job but coasting along on Peggy. If it weren't for her, Lou wouldn't be succeeding and they'd be asking Don back.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
I'm not sure they would ask him back. He was the best ad man back when It was Sterling-Cooper but he's starting to fade. He has done some irreparable damage since they formed SCDP.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I'm not so sure about that. The main thing is that SCDP is now an established firm with a reputation, and they're more concerned with retaining clients than making bold work. Lou Avery is the embodiment of that change. He's more than happy with "good enough", and anyone with the seniority to question it is too distracted to care by either distance or whatever the fuck you call Roger's current situation.

edit: Oh, and why was Ken such a massive dick all episode? One-eyed Ken seems like a very different fellow from two-eyed Ken.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
He does mention that he's overworked. Also, I'd probably have a personality change if some rich hillbillies shot me in the face with a shotgun after repeatedly telling the company that I didn't want to be anywhere near them too.

iannis

Musty Nester
I really liked Joan laying down the shit on the Professor with her giant woman boobies and her tiny woman brain. And I liked the contrite little look that he had.
biggrin.png

Really not a wasted scene in the entire thing.

TOO SHORT.

Edit: I think the stress of managing the entire roster of accounts is eating Ken alive, and the knowledge that this job is as high up the ladder as he ever goes. Plus, yeah, having an eye put out because of some hillbillies can't have helped his temperament all that much.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I really dig how the soundtrack changes with the times. It was killer in last night's episode. Season premier was great. I enjoy Happy Pete way more than Pissy Pete.

spronk

FPS noob
so what the fuck was going on in Roger's house

and what was the woman on the airplane talking about, her husband went into the hospital and they told them all they had 1 year? cancer? hiroshima? wtf

I forget what happened earlier, why is Don avoiding his wife and just flying back and forth on a pretend job? Yeah I vaguely remember SCP kinda fired him for yelling at clients but I guess he is ghost working through Freddy? wtf, why? Wakandan should be getting into threesomes with his hot wife

iannis

Musty Nester
Roger has gone full bohemian, and he's struggling with the realization that he is old enough for it to be completely ridiculous.

I think the woman on the plane, it may have just been a colloquialism. The doctor told her that "they" have a year. Like, left in "their" marriage. It's a slightly softer way to tell her that this bitch over here gunna die.

And apparently Don didn't tell Megan he got fired. With pay or without. He's ashamed, and just putting on a show of it. But he also avoided the opportunity to philander, and I think Freddy might be a way that he starts to confront his near-alcoholism as well (the fact that the widows husband died from "being thirsty" is relevant). In order to get to California and have a real shot with his marriage working, Don's gonna have to confront his pride. Its so obvious that even Don himself knows it. His patio door is broken. His colorful penthouse looks like a ruin. He's got nothing to be proud of right now.

I think Don will get a not-tragic ending. Maybe not a completely happy one. And I don't think he's gonna turn into hippy-pete. But he won't turn into Roger.