Magic the Gathering the MMO

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I was going to reply then I saw you had a star citizen referral code and nooooope

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They did say Action MMO. The A in ARPG stands for Action. I might be exactly that.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
They did say Action MMO. The A in ARPG stands for Action. I might be exactly that.

Yes, it makes perfect sense. As I said before, literally all of the shit in MTG is spells, items or places. Even the creatures are 'summoned' by planeswalkers. The only slightly odd thing would be the fact that MTG is very creature focused (they aren't just random rare things) which means either this game would be pet class heavy or sort of massage the creatures into mostly NPCs/baddies and spells FF style (ie you don't summon the black knight as a pet, but it does its attacks and disappears after the spellcast).

TBH I'm actually kind of excited to see what they got, D3 is largely done (to me at least), PoE was always too cranky to play and the ARPG genre has been sitting around for a bit now.

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
Instead of top down ARPG, I think action here mean the combat system is more like GW2/Wildstar/ESO.

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
Hmm I see the have a technical pm spot open. Think it pays more than 120k?

WOTC is notorious for underpaying their employees, hence the cluster fuck that has been MTGO for many many years. Although I don't know how the partnership with Cryptic will effect that.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Magic Story already doesn't reflect the creature-heavy gameplay. The Jacetice League doesn't summon much beyond ASHAYA and Zombie Tokens.

Tech pay may be higher now under the new CEO that started last year, since he's prioritizing the digital side of the company. They were able to lure folks away from other prominent studios in the last 12 months, so they might not be paying out in booster-pack-stew anymore.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Historically, WotC has been shit about anything digital or online. Their chosen partner is no better. I'd love a good MTG video game - this won't be it.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Cryptic isn't terrible. Then again, I've never played one of their games for longer than 3 months.

• 1Like

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
I don't give much hope of this being any good. Some of the people they've hired to work on it are less than talented.

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
All I'm going to say is, this done properly has me not-quite drooling at the idea of going to Innistrad for a 'raid' plane.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Did they ever fix the issue of being able to have more than 3 cards of a type? I remember having a deck that was nothing but swamp, hypnotic specters, bad moons and howling mines. Toss in some royal assassins and it was hilariously OP

You can buy one of those items that let's you carry 4 of a kind. That's it however. I always tried to rush to that for my ape red green deck

dyadestrant

Molten Core Raider
This could be fun, but I'm guessing its going to be a casserole of bullshit microtransactions like Neverwinter that are required to progress in any meaningful manner.

xzi

Mouthbreather
With how fun City of Heroes was.. I might consider trying it one day. I'm assuming it's a generic MMO in the MTG universe?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I'm hoping its a third person, possibly non-isometric, ARPG where you absolutely wreck shit as a planeswalker and collect spells and artifacts.

Anything else would be garbage.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
What if it channels the ancient forces of 90s neckbeardery that lie scattered throughout the EDH and Vintage community, and the game becomes more Pantheon than Pantheon?

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
I'd rather they just reacquire City of Heroes and revamp it. But, I'll give this game a shot when it comes out in 5 years.

• 1Solidarity

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
I will play just to see Foil characters running around. For 4.99 you can have a foil character! It is account bound and cannot be undone. We will not have a way for you to view what the effect will look like on your character. (I am looking at you Duels)

• 1Like

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Historically, WotC has been shit about anything digital or online. Their chosen partner is no better. I'd love a good MTG video game - this won't be it.
Duels of the Planeswalkers were actually quite good, until they drowned them in premium DLC bullshit. Give me a set that I can play with and build any decks for a fixed price in that engine and I'd be in heaven.