Major nuclear accident in Europe's largest power plant reported

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
plot twist: it's Saporischschja/Zaporizhia in southeast Ukraine.

Just what the country needed right now.

Block 3 is probably affected, it was already shut down for repairs on monday after repeated power failures.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Whelp, I want something to happen to get this Ferguson crap out of the news but not something like this!

Szlia

I wonder if the super cool anti-nuclear self-fulfilling prophecy is at work there: Make it impossible to build new nuclear power plants for fear of accidents and say 'I told you so' when plants have problems after they are used for decades longer than initially intended, because they cannot be replaced.

Strifen

Molten Core Raider
Wasn't a major accident at all. I'm not surprised to see Anti-Nuclear Germany pumping out scare mongering headlines though.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Germany's energy policy was created by 2 apes and a not particularly smart sloth.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Germany's energy policy was created by 2 apes and a not particularly smart sloth.
But the important part was that they had strong feelings about it and ignored scientists, engineers and economists.

Soriak_sl

shitlord
But the important part was that they had strong feelings about it and ignored scientists, engineers and economists.
Nuclear energy works because it is massively subsidized by the government. The insurance provision alone is insane: no private company would provide catastrophic insurance for a plant. On top of that, governments are responsible for nuclear waste.

Don't get me wrong: nuclear power beats coal and gas plants -- especially coal, which leads to over 10,000 early deaths in the US every year due to direct health effects, never mind the contribution to global warming. That's way worse than even Fukushima.

At the same time, Germany's drive for renewable energy is commendable and we wouldn't see the kind of technological advancements that have happened without their investments. Would those take place if they continued to build nuclear power plants? Probably not. This is a technology that clearly requires some subsidies still, but given the implicit and explicit subsidies provided to other energy generation technologies, I don't see a problem with that.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Nuclear energy works because it is massively subsidized by the government. The insurance provision alone is insane: no private company would provide catastrophic insurance for a plant. On top of that, governments are responsible for nuclear waste.

Don't get me wrong: nuclear power beats coal and gas plants -- especially coal, which leads to over 10,000 early deaths in the US every year due to direct health effects, never mind the contribution to global warming. That's way worse than even Fukushima.

At the same time, Germany's drive for renewable energy is commendable and we wouldn't see the kind of technological advancements that have happened without their investments. Would those take place if they continued to build nuclear power plants? Probably not. This is a technology that clearly requires some subsidies still, but given the implicit and explicit subsidies provided to other energy generation technologies, I don't see a problem with that.
I thought Germany was moving back to large amounts of coal fired plants due to moving away from their nuclear program. Way to go green Germany!!!