Making a Murderer (Netflix) - New info

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Well now, I clearly qualified my response by saying it probably didn't apply in Avery's case (ie, noteverybodywho kills an animal is going to kill people). But it certainly is an indication of a sociopathic personality. And it is a gateway in that serial murders often progress from animals to humans. It's going to get really fucking pedantic in here if we have to couch all our posts with preemptive defenses against semantic rebuttals
Qualifying your answer that it doesn't apply to Avery is irrelevant, because your statement wasn't true. Killing animals isn't a gateway to becoming a serial killer. Even if you want to say it's well documented and not debatable, which you did, to the patently false claim you made. It's not pedantic when someone utterly confuses the difference between causation and correlation.

What you mean to say is: many serial killers are the types of people who also killed/tortured animals. Which is true, but the logical opposite of what you said and isn't even relevant to this discussion anyhow.

Jive Turkey

Karen
The cat thing to me just shows a lack of empathy. Now if you want to take that statement and make a giant leap to murder I suppose you can. I'm not going to do that.
Not a single person here did that. Though not surprisingly several people took my post and ran with it

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Not a single person here did that. Though not surprisingly several people took my post and ran with it
Exactly. Nobody made the jump because it was so ridiculous to say killing cats is a gateway to murder that people were joking around about it. But then you, and only you, tried to claim that was not only true, but so well documented it wasn't debatable.

But, yeah, not surprisingly it's not that you were wrong, just that everyone else in the thread was doing something stupid or whatever your bullshit excuse always is for being so arrogantly stupid about something.

Jive Turkey

Karen
Qualifying your answer that it doesn't apply to Avery is irrelevant, because your statement wasn't true. Killing animals isn't a gateway to becoming a serial killer. Even if you want to say it's well documented and not debatable, which you did, to the patently false claim you made. It's not pedantic when someone utterly confuses the difference between causation and correlation.

What you mean to say is: many serial killers are the types of people who also killed/tortured animals. Which is true, but the logical opposite of what you said and isn't even relevant to this discussion anyhow.
It does apply when mouth breathers like you reply with "hurr, he thinks everyone who kills animals turns into a murderer".
And causation and correlation? Ha! One of the most overused cliche debate tactics on the Internet. Did you read that somewhere once and put it in your back pocket? Where the fuck did I claim it was a causation for anything? The causation is probably some toxic mix of brain physiology and childhood maladjustment. Torturing animals is a result, not a cause and nowhere did I say otherwise. Back to internet debating 101, jr.

And no, I meant to say exactly what I said.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Killing animals with traps is far different than dousing a cat in gasoline and setting it on fire. One is hunting, the other is torture. Come the fuck on.
you have no idea how many people think setting a trap for an animal is death by torture.

Jive Turkey

Karen
you have no idea how many people think setting a trap for an animal is death by torture.
It probably is a terrible death. But stop playing these little word games. You know perfectly well the intent of a trapper is completely different than the intent of someone torturing an animal for amusement. I can't believe anyone would think this was a worthwhile or even valid direction to take his argument

Jive Turkey

Karen
Exactly. Nobody made the jump because it was so ridiculous to say killing cats is a gateway to murder that people were joking around about it. But then you, and only you, tried to claim that was not only true, but so well documented it wasn't debatable.

But, yeah, not surprisingly it's not that you were wrong, just that everyone else in the thread was doing something stupid or whatever your bullshit excuse always is for being so arrogantly stupid about something.
Is it the word 'gateway' that you're having trouble with? Do you think 'gateway' implies a causation? You can't be that stupid, but I'm beginning to suspect you are. Do yourself (and all of us, to be perfectly honest) a favour and google 'animal abuse gateway' or something along those lines. I'm sure you'll find a lot of really interesting articles describing exactly what I'm right about.
And learn the goddamn difference between semantics and fallacies of reason, for fuck sake

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I guess this is one of my problems with all the hubbub about this. Obviously Avery got the raw fucking deal. Shit was straight up fabricated against him. It was a gross miscarriage of justice. Yet people go from that to trying to pretend this guy was some angel.

Their were plenty of signs that this guy wasn't right in the head. Getting framed by the cops and being a piece of shit aren't mutually exclusive. The very fact he was almost surely a piece of shit is how the cops probably justified it to themselves. The whole "well, you might not have done this, but you probably got away with it before" bullshit justice crap.
To be clear, I don't think he was an angel at all. I'm just saying there is a huge gap there that gets handwaved by people when they bring up this cat incident between that action and the murder, which was like 30 years later.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
It probably is a terrible death. But stop playing these little word games. You know perfectly well the intent of a trapper is completely different than the intent of someone torturing an animal for amusement. I can't believe anyone would think this was a worthwhile or even valid direction to take his argument
its really not a word game. what you or i see as trapping for profit, necessity or sport is to many others considered a filthy, bloody, murder by starving a poor animal to death if it doesnt bite its own leg off to escape. i do not possess your psychic skills so i have no idea what was in SA's head when he did that. from experience i can tell you that when you are drunk you do stupid shit you wouldnt do when sober. for that reason i cant call what he did a gateway crime to murderer

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Is it the word 'gateway' that you're having trouble with? Do you think 'gateway' implies a causation? You can't be that stupid, but I'm beginning to suspect you are. Do yourself (and all of us, to be perfectly honest) a favour and google 'animal abuse gateway' or something along those lines. I'm sure you'll find a lot of really interesting articles describing exactly what I'm right about.
And learn the goddamn difference between semantics and fallacies of reason, for fuck sake
Tell us again about how angry everyone else is, how combative everyone else is, how immature everyone else is, and how you just can't seem to have an intelligent discussion because everyone else is all the things you keep claiming.

Yeah, yeah, you're right and we're just all such morons we can't keep up with your stunning intelligence.

Jive Turkey

Karen
To be clear, I don't think he was an angel at all. I'm just saying there is a huge gap there that gets handwaved by people when they bring up this cat incident between that action and the murder, which was like 30 years later.
But you go too far in the opposite direction when you say 'He was just a 20 year old fooling around with his drunk friends'. He was20 years old. He was a grown adult. If I knew anybody that threw a cat in the fire, not only wouldn't I just be all "boys will be boys", but I'd beat the fuck out of him. You're allowed to think he's a sack of shit for killing the cat while maintaining that he's innocent

Jive Turkey

Karen
Tell us again about how angry everyone else is, how combative everyone else is, how immature everyone else is, and how you just can't seem to have an intelligent discussion because everyone else is all the things you keep claiming.

Yeah, yeah, you're right and we're just all such morons we can't keep up with your stunning intelligence.
Don't take my cursing for anger. I curse all the time.

When I say "everyone else" I'm mostly just talking about you. And chuk for his retarded logical stretches. I have no issues with giving it back. Just gets kinda boring after a while.

But nice dodge. I was right. again.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Where did chaos go too far in any direction, much less completely dismissing what Avery did? The only hyperbole I see is you claiming he said something so you could claim he is way off base, all the while being laughably baseless.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Don't take my cursing for anger. I curse all the time.

When I say "everyone else" I'm mostly just talking about you. And chuk for his retarded logical stretches. I have no issues with giving it back. Just gets kinda boring after a while.

But nice dodge. I was right. again.
Nice try. U mad, bro.

Jive Turkey

Karen
its really not a word game. what you or i see as trapping for profit, necessity or sport is to many others considered a filthy, bloody, murder by starving a poor animal to death if it doesnt bite its own leg off to escape. i do not possess your psychic skills so i have no idea what was in SA's head when he did that. from experience i can tell you that when you are drunk you do stupid shit you wouldnt do when sober. for that reason i cant call what he did a gateway crime to murderer
stop

khalid

Unelected Mod
You are better than this bro.

Jive Turkey

Karen
Where did chaos go too far in any direction, much less completely dismissing what Avery did? The only hyperbole I see is you claiming he said something so you could claim he is way off base, all the while being laughably baseless.
You're absolutely right. My bad. Apologies to chaos; I didn't mean to put words in his mouth.

It was actually you who said that, you fucking retard
Pretty sure he was drunk at a party acting like a dumb hillbilly with a bunch of dumb hillbilly friends and he's a dick for doing fucked up shit the same way a lot of people are dicks for the fucked up shit they've done