Malazan Book Of The Fallen

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
'God is not willing' was so good I did a re-read of the series. No way I'll do a book a week though, I only get an hour a day at best to read. Real life sucks the big one.
Ive only read the main series.

Should I read god is not willing without plowing through the ICE books?

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Ive only read the main series.

Should I read god is not willing without plowing through the ICE books?
ICE books are hit and miss. The last one read like very bad fan fiction. Some are really good though. I'm still trying to decide if I am going to bother with them this time on my re-read.
Either way they will not ruin 'God is not willing' and I do not recall anything in them that will enhance reading it. If you have not read the necro short story books you should! They are quick and funny and woven into the main 10.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
ICE stuff is so hit or miss you almost wonder if it is a collection of people using a pseudonym. At the beginning he was rough, then got a little better around RotCG if I remember, but then just went back downhill. It is fun getting side stories in the universe but you gotta suffer through some of it.

I should have started God is Not Willing before Laundry series

• 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
After finishing return of the crimson guard I decided not to read anymore ICE books.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sterling

El Presidente
A book a week?

How? I can do one a week reading 8 to 10 hours a day.
i mean it was probably more like 8-10 days than a week, but 70 hours? that seems like twice as long as it takes me and I've never particularly thought that i'm a fast reader.

Aazrael

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'm on my 3rd "reread" now on book of the fallen, or rather re-listening on Audible. I did not enjoy the esslemont as much but might change if I go through them again. The book of the fallen was a big mystery the first time through as well.

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
i mean it was probably more like 8-10 days than a week, but 70 hours? that seems like twice as long as it takes me and I've never particularly thought that i'm a fast reader.
I drink a lot of beer when I read malazan,

• 1Worf

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
On Dust of Dreams, man this series and world have really pulled me in, I forsee me consuming everything malazan and then begging for more.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
After watching a couple episodes of WoT on Amazon, was really wishing someone would make this into a TV series.

• 3Barf
  • 1Cringe
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 4 users

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
After watching a couple episodes of WoT on Amazon, was really wishing someone would make this into a TV series.
I’m honestly hoping they don’t. I’d rather not have a faggy version where Anomander is banging caladan brood and Tehol was born a female.

• 4Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 5 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
There's already transgenders, more or less, in the books. They'd barely need to change anything to "modernize" it.

The story itself is not fit for TV though. The amount of payoffs, convergences, callbacks, unfinished threads, etc would make for a bad viewing experience. It already turns off a lot of prospective readers.

This is on top of the ridiculous amount of characters you'd have to cast. The Expanse suffers for having to cut/change characters and alter plot points because they simply couldn't hire that many actors. Malazan would be crippled by it.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sterling

El Presidente
There's already transgenders, more or less, in the books. They'd barely need to change anything to "modernize" it.

The story itself is not fit for TV though. The amount of payoffs, convergences, callbacks, unfinished threads, etc would make for a bad viewing experience. It already turns off a lot of prospective readers.

This is on top of the ridiculous amount of characters you'd have to cast. The Expanse suffers for having to cut/change characters and alter plot points because they simply couldn't hire that many actors. Malazan would be crippled by it.
There's an absurd amount of diversity in the WoT books and they went that direction anyways so it'd likely crop up some here.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider

Like sterling said, that won’t matter. It wouldn’t matter that there are tons of black characters already either, you’d still end up with a jogging Fiddler

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Oh, I'm not disagreeing with you guys. I'm not actually sure the purpose of my first sentence was, tbh. Clunky segue into Malazan having much deeper adaptation issues than worrying about SJWs raping it?

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
If this is made, the SJWs director they will hire will turn the Snake into a pedo thing. I guarantee it. Plz no.

• 1Like

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I really don't want any more adaptations, this year alone has been atrocious with Y, cowboy bebop, WOT. Until one of us gets some Bezos money and can make a scene for scene faithful adaption without caring if it makes money or gets ratings they need to leave everything alone.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah this is unfilmable. There’s just no way. Look at all the stuff they fuck up that should be easy. WOT is just the latest example. Malazan is not easy source material.

• 1Like