Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
puke GIF
So I have heard but if it adds to the lore I'll read it,

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
A couple of esselmonts books were decent. Return of the crimson guard was pretty solid.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
A couple of esselmonts books were decent. Return of the crimson guard was pretty solid.
yeah but they are so inconsistent that it's not worth the frustration. Hell the last one read like really bad fan fiction.

• 1Like

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
I’m reading it for the first time and it’s a weird and difficult writing style to describe. Reminds me of Black Company a bit in terms of vibe - like every military character is 80% the same person with little nuances that make them different. They’re all that good ole boy that is bout that soldiering and speak in an annoyingly similar way. I’m starting to hear Cartmans voice pretending to be a work out bitter soldier since that’s what most characters are.

Trying to figure out wtf warrens do and how they work after something like Mistborn; which spoon feeds you an explanation, is tough, but also makes it feel more scary because it’s less predictable wtf can sorcery do? Like ok we spend all this time slugging out the military shit, but usually the sorcery just determines who da man?

Overall it’s a cool series but definitely all over the place with how much time and effort it’ll spend on the importance of a situation only to not even mention it again for several books. Think I’m on B4 and enjoying it, even though I hear Cartman talking about another day on the deathmarch out here on the plain of no hope.
Old reply:

I really liked the Black Company books (they got weird when they went into another plane) but they simply do not have the depth or the breadth of the Malazan books. The Black Company have their howevermany nemeses that keep coming back, and they keep their book to tie all the stuff together through different characters. Malazan skips all over the place, from peasant to gods, but ends with the same characters it starts with, Fiddler in particular.

There were scenes in the Malazan books that emotionally moved me, but I never encountered that with the Black Company. The writing just isn't as personal.

Like when Death comes for that retarded kid who saves a ton of people from an explosion but gets reduced to ash doing it.

There are good and bad parts to every series, but I have read the Malazan stuff three times and I get something different out of it every time. I think it's part of that skipping around thing that you mention, it is kind of annoying on a first read but allows you to pull more out of it on repeats.

However, due to the fact that there is an original and recommended reading order means it is all a little fucked up lol.

Finally, I thought the warrens were an amazing way to represent magic, and it is probably my favorite representation of different types of power in any fantasy setting. In the end, I still don't understand it either, the warrens are the veins of a god or some shit. Whatever, the different facets of power are really cool.

Yeah, I am a total gushing fanboi.

• 3Like

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
Look I love it and don’t need it to be perfect. I just like to mention my gripes to see if anyone else felt similar when reading.

There’s lots of little loopholes That I can’t tell if they’re left open or I missed em. Like - we follow this historian with Coltaine for a whole book and it always seems like he’s going to plow this female soldier and they keep interacting with each other, but that doesn’t really happen or it’s super subtle or who knows.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I think trying to understand magic and power in Malazan beyond the abstract concept is an exercise in futility. Nor do I think that's necessary in order to comprehend the stakes and appreciate the narrative.

• 1Like

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Look I love it and don’t need it to be perfect. I just like to mention my gripes to see if anyone else felt similar when reading.

There’s lots of little loopholes That I can’t tell if they’re left open or I missed em. Like - we follow this historian with Coltaine for a whole book and it always seems like he’s going to plow this female soldier and they keep interacting with each other, but that doesn’t really happen or it’s super subtle or who knows.
He banged her once then they decided not to make it anything more since they would both likely die

Last edited:

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Fucking Beak...I knew it was coming (this is a re-read after all) but it still hurt.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Went back immediately and reread the beginning of gardens, so much more to it after finishing the series

• 3Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Went back immediately and reread the beginning of gardens, so much more to it after finishing the series
Definitely agree, Gardens was definitely much better during a reread. Still wasn’t my favorite since it really seemed like some of the characters (like Tayschrenn) were retconned in later books but it made it much more enjoyable

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Definitely agree, Gardens was definitely much better during a reread. Still wasn’t my favorite since it really seemed like some of the characters (like Tayschrenn) were retconned in later books but it made it much more enjoyable
I recently read somewhere that GoTM was written 10 or so years before 2-10 which could explain why. It was actually about why tellan cancelled magic in the first book but didn't in any of the others. Also if that is considered a spoiler please have amod kill this.

• 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I recently read somewhere that GoTM was written 10 or so years before 2-10 which could explain why. It was actually about why tellan cancelled magic in the first book but didn't in any of the others. Also if that is considered a spoiler please have amod kill this.
Yep, that was one I remember now that you mention it. There were quite a few things like that, but it’s been long enough that I don’t remember most of them.

Jovec

?

Makes sense. Rake being virtually unknown in the first book doesn't quite fit with the later books, where he has been everywhere, done everything, has had books written about him, Fisher poems about him, was at the chaining (planned the trap IIRC) etc. At least the military brass and the educated should have heard the name in GotM, especially since Brood and Rake were fighting the Malazans for something like 10 years before GotM.

And yeah, Beak... Him asking Hood if he would be able to help his brother now :(

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Makes sense. Rake being virtually unknown in the first book doesn't quite fit with the later books, where he has been everywhere, done everything, has had books written about him, Fisher poems about him, was at the chaining (planned the trap IIRC) etc. At least the military brass and the educated should have heard the name in GotM, especially since Brood and Rake were fighting the Malazans for something like 10 years before GotM.

And yeah, Beak... Him asking Hood if he would be able to help his brother now :(
Goddamn it you just got me again!

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Just finished the new karsa book, awesome. Caused me to drudge up old feelings and start my first reread of malazan since my first ever read of it 5 or so years ago. Shit it’s better than I remember and after reading the karsa book (i’ll call it saltwater book now) I’m somehow much more in tune with the whole setting than I was the first time. About done with book one and I really like it, much better than my first time through. My .02 cents

• 3Solidarity

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Just finished the new karsa book, awesome. Caused me to drudge up old feelings and start my first reread of malazan since my first ever read of it 5 or so years ago. Shit it’s better than I remember and after reading the karsa book (i’ll call it saltwater book now) I’m somehow much more in tune with the whole setting than I was the first time. About done with book one and I really like it, much better than my first time through. My .02 cents
Ditto! I started TGINW half heartedly, wound up inhaling the damn thing and immediately started a re-read of the main 10. That was mid October, I just started book 7 this morning.

• 3Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Quiet the praise from people. I guess I shouldnt put it off any longer.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Is Erikson back in form? No philosophical melodrama? You guys are making it sound like it's of Deadhouse Gates or Memories of Ice in quality.