Malazan Book Of The Fallen

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Yeah this is unfilmable. There’s just no way. Look at all the stuff they fuck up that should be easy. WOT is just the latest example. Malazan is not easy source material.
I mean it could be done, the seasons of GoT that followed the books show that it can be. But Hollywood is literally retarded and get high on their own farts and think they can tell a better story than the author.

But Malazan would absolutely need adaption so just following the books wouldn’t even work here. Can you imagine a season of something like midnight tides that introduces a completely different and at that point unrelated cast of characters and plot line.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I mean it could be done, the seasons of GoT that followed the books show that it can be. But Hollywood is literally retarded and get high on their own farts and think they can tell a better story than the author.
The amount of characters, vagueness and insane power levels of magic, really weird alternate worlds, etc is why I think it’s unfilmable. It *could* be done but I have no faith that anyone would actually get things right. Game of thrones was at least grounded in reality for the most part. MBotF is the opposite end.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
After watching a couple episodes of WoT on Amazon, was really wishing someone would make this into a TV series.

This would be hacked to death. They would have to skip half the book! Almost every memorable piece of the book wouldn't make the cut.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Think of how expensive the costumes and CGI would be as well. It would be off the charts. They’d have to skimp on it due to the sheer amount and it would look like shit.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, between how high-magic the setting is, how military-focused it is (think of how hard GoT had to work to avoid having to film massive armies), and how the setting has dozens of races--many of them getting little-to-no description of what they actually look like--trying to go the TV route would likely be a shit show.

Rime

<Donor>
The only way this would not be butchered is if it were animated.

I could get behind some Arcane style Malazan series.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
The only way this would not be butchered is if it were animated.

I could get behind some Arcane style Malazan series.
Exactly what I think, the only way is to animate. I'm doing a re-read of the main 10 again and even knowing who/what it's hard to keep up with. Each episode would have to be 2 hours with the first 30 minutes being 'previously on' .

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
I’m reading it for the first time and it’s a weird and difficult writing style to describe. Reminds me of Black Company a bit in terms of vibe - like every military character is 80% the same person with little nuances that make them different. They’re all that good ole boy that is bout that soldiering and speak in an annoyingly similar way. I’m starting to hear Cartmans voice pretending to be a work out bitter soldier since that’s what most characters are.

Trying to figure out wtf warrens do and how they work after something like Mistborn; which spoon feeds you an explanation, is tough, but also makes it feel more scary because it’s less predictable wtf can sorcery do? Like ok we spend all this time slugging out the military shit, but usually the sorcery just determines who da man?

Overall it’s a cool series but definitely all over the place with how much time and effort it’ll spend on the importance of a situation only to not even mention it again for several books. Think I’m on B4 and enjoying it, even though I hear Cartman talking about another day on the deathmarch out here on the plain of no hope.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I’m reading it for the first time and it’s a weird and difficult writing style to describe. Reminds me of Black Company a bit in terms of vibe - like every military character is 80% the same person with little nuances that make them different. They’re all that good ole boy that is bout that soldiering and speak in an annoyingly similar way. I’m starting to hear Cartmans voice pretending to be a work out bitter soldier since that’s what most characters are.

Trying to figure out wtf warrens do and how they work after something like Mistborn; which spoon feeds you an explanation, is tough, but also makes it feel more scary because it’s less predictable wtf can sorcery do? Like ok we spend all this time slugging out the military shit, but usually the sorcery just determines who da man?

Overall it’s a cool series but definitely all over the place with how much time and effort it’ll spend on the importance of a situation only to not even mention it again for several books. Think I’m on B4 and enjoying it, even though I hear Cartman talking about another day on the deathmarch out here on the plain of no hope.

It smooths out a bit, as he gives you more bit by bit information through out the series.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole

Yeah it does smooth out but I'm on theast book and still constantly wondering what is going on with character X that we haven't seen for two books.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
There are some things that never really wrap up. I don’t remember all that don’t but do remember thinking the end was an odd end cause stuff was left open.

Maul

Dental Dammer
There are some things that never really wrap up. I don’t remember all that don’t but do remember thinking the end was an odd end cause stuff was left open.
I cant even remember where I got upto with listening to the audiobooks, Karsa Urlong or some shit.

It's a good series but its quite a slog.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
I cant even remember where I got upto with listening to the audiobooks, Karsa Urlong or some shit.

It's a good series but its quite a slog.
Definitely NOT light reading but it's by far my favorite series & author. I just started book 7 / 10 and still had to look up characters from the earlier books because I recognized the names but not why.

• 1Solidarity

Bloodrocuted

Trakanon Raider
The God is Not Willing is incredible, as good as any of the original series, maybe better!

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>

I really like this. It's such a massive, messy endeavor that wrapping everything up seems too neat. It feels more like real life than most books in this aspect.

• 1Like

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Just finished The Crippled God. And man am I glad I finally decided to read this, such a great world. Gonna read a few other series and then get into esselmonts books

• 1Mother of God

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
esselmonts books
puke GIF

• 3Worf
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users