Malazan Book Of The Fallen

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
I listen to audiobooks now instead of read books the old fashioned way. I did a double-take when I saw that the narrator of The God Is Not Willing is a woman. For those who have read it, does it make sense for a woman to narrate a Karsa novel?

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I listen to audiobooks now instead of read books the old fashioned way. I did a double-take when I saw that the narrator of The God Is Not Willing is a woman. For those who have read it, does it make sense for a woman to narrate a Karsa novel?
I'm in the middle of it, and it works ok, about half the characters are women. She is no michael page, and a few male characters sound similar. Bit she does a good job.

Skinner

Trakanon Raider
Projected Q1 2022 $200 USD per book.

Edit: apparently I don’t know what year it is anymore. Getting old :(

Last edited:

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
Finished The God is Not Willing today. Erickson is back on form. No fucking idea what he thought he was doing with Memory of Light.

This book was fantastic. Like many of you, im gonna go ahead and start rereading the series now that I’ve finished this.

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Finished The God is Not Willing today. Erickson is back on form. No fucking idea what he thought he was doing with Memory of Light.

This book was fantastic. Like many of you, im gonna go ahead and start rereading the series now that I’ve finished this.
MoL is the only Erikson book I didn't finish, I *may* try again when/if the 3rd one comes out. Then again I may not.

Skinner

Trakanon Raider
Preorders opening up earlier than expected. Noon Est, Monday January 31st. No idea how many books they will be selling but SP copies tend to sell out very fast and Malazan is experiencing a surge in popularity lately and the demand for Malazan hardcovers is through the roof.

Edit: 1,000 copies. They will be sold out fast.

Subterranean Press Readers

William Schafer ·
R-1H3_Jpt19.png

· 7h ·

Very early news. Gardens of the Moon is at the printer, with a tentative completion date in late February.
Unless something comes up, we'll start taking preorders at 12:00 PM EST on Monday, January 31, 2022.
The book's product page has already been updated with specs about the new printing.

Product Page Description
Illustrated by Michael Komarck

Note:
There is a limit of one copy per person/household.

Subterranean Press is proud to announce we're reprinting the first volume of The Malazan Book of the Fallen.

The Malazan Empire is a continent-spanning dominion over which the ruthless Empress Laseen holds sway, her rule enforced by the Claws, the Imperial assassins. Bled dry by incessant warfare and undermined by dissension, signs indicate that the Empire could be crumbling from within.

The Genabackis campaign has been a war of attrition in which the Malazans have spent years fighting the combined forces of local armies aided by the formidable Son of Darkness and Lord of the Tiste Andii, Anomander Rake, the Crimson Guard, the powerful warlord Caladan Brood, and their allies.

Though they emerge victorious from the siege of Pale and impel the flying fortress of Moon’s Spawn to retreat and abandon the conflict, the Malazan triumph is bittersweet. Evidence implies that the Bridgeburners were nearly wiped out by treacherous elements from within the ranks of their own army.

Before any light can be shed on what truly occurred, the Malazan troops are sent marching to subdue Darujhistan, the last of the Free Cities of Genabackis. Soon, as the conflict escalates, powerful forces converge on Darujhistan.

And with gods and Ascendants watching and manipulating events, nothing is as it seems in the City of Blue Fire.

Thus begins The Malazan Book of the Fallen, one of the greatest and most ambitious fantasy epics of our time.

About the signed second printing:

• It will contain all of the illustrations from the original numbered edition.
  • Be printed on 70# Finch.
  • Feature a raised image on the front panel of the book.
  • Be gilt on three edges.
Signed Second Printing: Approximately 1000 hardcover copies signed by the author

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
So I’m interested in these, but I’m not sure I want to have to fight the masses every time they’re released. If I get in on this 1000 copies, will I be grandfathered in for the rest?

• 1Like

Skinner

Trakanon Raider
So I’m interested in these, but I’m not sure I want to have to fight the masses every time they’re released. If I get in on this 1000 copies, will I be grandfathered in for the rest?

As of now there‘s no holding of rights so it’s a FFA every time a new book comes out but that could change. SP allegedly has purchased an unknown amount of copies to hold in reserve which they intend to sell periodically so some people who missed out during the rush will have a second chance.

I really don’t want to fight the masses either but for an SP copy of Gardens and Deadhouse Gates I’ll shank a bitch if I have to.

• 1Rustled

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
That would be completely counter to how the original release and any other series I've purchased from SP has been run. Seems very odd they'd change it for the second printing. I'll be trying to get in on this one as well and give it a shot.

It was not the same for books they purchase from other publishers where they can't guarantee the numbers they'll be receiving.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Serious question, I'm not trolling here, but why the books? Do they have new beginning/ending stories? Or is this decoration thing.

I bought most of these imported from UK so I didn't have to wait ...then e-readers became a thing.
Every book I 'own' is on my google drive in epub form and I got rid of all the paper. I ask people not to buy me books now so I don't have to pretend to read a physical book.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I don’t have a good answer, only to say ‘because.’

To elaborate on that though, because I like having books on shelves in the house. The SubPress editions are very nice and decorative. Not suggesting every dime store novel needs to be displayed but that’s fine too. There’s a certain charm with that. I have cookbooks, old school books, reference books, all throughout the house.

Having a four year old ask questions about them and draw the connection between reading his copies of Jasper and Joppa, Biscuit, my old copies of Goodnight Moon, and so forth. I really do hate pulling the “it just isn’t the same” card, but it really isn’t. I’m not a poet or author so can’t do justice to the feeling.

Even having said all that, my Kindle is probably my most used device next to my work laptop. In bed I’ve read almost exclusively off it for years. Actually not even sure what the last personal hard copy of a book I read is. Maybe a self help book, probably… no wait, I read hardback of the third Sanders Way of Kings novel. Now I need to go walk around and figure it out.

Not sure, but there’s absolutely a place for both physical and digital. Just depends on what you want so everyone can currently have either, or both.

As far as these are concerned they’re my favorite series so I want to own copies of them. I also have maybe 5 editions of Count of Monte Cristo, 4 or 5 Don Quixote, some old printings of C.S. Lewis (not his Narnia stuff, the Christian stuff).

So yeah, just because, I guess.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
When the Ministry of Truth decides that you aren’t allowed to read books on your e-reader because of some words you said on the internet, you’ll be glad you’ve got a shelf full of hard copies!

Seriously though, some people collect cards, some collect movies, dvds, old vinyl records, or whatever the fuck else people collect. Some folks like a bookshelf. I’m a bookshelf guy. Everything I’ve got on my tablet, I’ve got on my shelf as well. When I was young, Dad read LoTR to my brother and I for an hour after dinner every night. After we finished the series, I started diving into books that were on mom and dad’s bookshelf.

I will always maintain my collection in hard copy, because I like having my books on a shelf. I like to collect them. I prefer to read hard copies. I’ve got a tablet and I still prefer to read my books in physical form. I get enough screen time daily between surfing the net and gaming, I don’t need another screen to read my books on.

• 2Like

Skinner

Trakanon Raider
The only thing I have to add is that specialty publishers like SP and Centipede Press tend to turn the ”wow factor” up to 11, especially if you’re a fan of one of their chosen series or authors. The Dune Centipede Press edition for instance is absolutely stunning.

• 2Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
The God Is Not Willing was freaking awesome. So much better than what was going on in Forge of Darkness. Erikson just knows how to write strange soldier characters and other fringe players and mains. He just didn't have the rhythm in Forge. This felt great though and hated for it to end.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
I really liked Forge of Darkness. No, there weren’t any soldiers bantering through the whole book, but I thought it was great world building. Fall of Light really dropped the ball, though.

• 1Like

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
re-read of the main 10 ongoing. Just started the book 9 and the snake doesn't get any better the second time.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Meant to bump this when the presale went live today but have been on a conference call for two hours. Hopefully anyone got in that was interested!

• 1Like