Malazan Book Of The Fallen

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
It’s not quite that level but it was pretty awesome jumping back into the world with a few familiar characters and veering into some new territory. I flew through it in a few days

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
What Springbok said, he still needs an editor with a choke collar but it's pretty damn good.

I may be biased, this is my favorite series. I imported most of the original 10 from England so I didn't have to wait for US release.

• 1Solidarity

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
Yea I think there were three or four out when I started the series. Imported the rest from England in their weird “big” paper back format.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Yea I think there were three or four out when I started the series. Imported the rest from England in their weird “big” paper back format.
Ditto and the shipping was as much or more than the book.

• 1Solidarity

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
One of my last to-dos on my list after moving is getting my books unpacked and a new bookcase set up for them. This is a corner of my upstairs bonus room that I may turn in to a listening / reading area. This is the first time they've all been lined up.
IMG_3458.jpg

Apparently I missed the notification for another Bauchelian and Broach novel so can't get the signed / numbered edition of Upon a Dark of Evil Overlods. As well as the last two books of Three Body Problem so I only have the 1st in the series singed and numbered. Actually, need to check my damn email and make sure my notifications aren't being sent to spam...

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
Nice collection man! I see those leather bound Sanderson books down there. I wish I had gotten in on the Stormlight leather bound stuff when it started. At this point I don’t know that I want to shell out the money to buy them third party, and I don’t want half a collection. So guess I’m just gonna have to miss out on those bad boys.

Oddly enough, I have all of the malazan books, some of them in hard back, but none of them match the variety of hard backs that you have there, with the portraits on the spines there. Cool that they’re all matching. My collection looks like a dumpster fire, but I have em!

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Nice collection man! I see those leather bound Sanderson books down there. I wish I had gotten in on the Stormlight leather bound stuff when it started. At this point I don’t know that I want to shell out the money to buy them third party, and I don’t want half a collection. So guess I’m just gonna have to miss out on those bad boys.

Oddly enough, I have all of the malazan books, some of them in hard back, but none of them match the variety of hard backs that you have there, with the portraits on the spines there. Cool that they’re all matching. My collection looks like a dumpster fire, but I have em!

Found the Gmail from 2009 when Gardens shipped and I think Dust came out last year? So 12 years. I like that they’re all a matched numbered set, SubPress did a great job making sure people kept their number. Two of the Esselmont books are matched as well, they coordinated with the Euro seller they sourced those from and got me the same.

About to finish Skyward book 3 from Sanderson then will start the new Karsa trilogy.

Tananthalas

<Gold Donor>
I am 50 pages into Gardens of the Moon and I am trying to decide if this needs to be thrown into a fire or not. I am not at all impressed with the writing and I need some assurances that the pain I have so far felt will pay off.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Pathetic

Sterling

El Presidente
I am 50 pages into Gardens of the Moon and I am trying to decide if this needs to be thrown into a fire or not. I am not at all impressed with the writing and I need some assurances that the pain I have so far felt will pay off.
It's hard to say. Gardens is a little different than the rest of the series, but you'll always have the lots of characters and very little exposition thing.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
No one's going to defend that book. As an introduction to a series, it has serious issues. If you like the writing style, essentially a lack of inorganic exposition almost to a fault, keep on reading.

If it helps, each time Tattersail's weight is described, just mentally picture one of Adebisi's girls from his thread.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Tananthalas

<Gold Donor>
It's hard to say. Gardens is a little different than the rest of the series, but you'll always have the lots of characters and very little exposition thing.

Which is fine. Having said that we start off with a kid talking to a soldier and soon to be empress for apparently no fucking reason. Kid becomes a soldier himself, kid just so happens to stumble into the Empress who happens to remember a decade old conversation she overheard and then never saw this kid again in those preceding years. I can't tell if the author takes his own story seriously. It feels like i am 13 years old again playing my first DnD game with a 13 year old DM and neither of us has prior experience. It is such a disjointed experience. I just need to know if the author gives a fuck at all about his own shit.

If it helps, each time Tattersail's weight is described, just mentally picture one of Adebisi's girls from his thread.

Fucking rofl

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Which is fine. Having said that we start off with a kid talking to a soldier and soon to be empress for apparently no fucking reason. Kid becomes a soldier himself, kid just so happens to stumble into the Empress who happens to remember a decade old conversation she overheard and then never saw this kid again in those preceding years. I can't tell if the author takes his own story seriously. It feels like i am 13 years old again playing my first DnD game with a 13 year old DM and neither of us has prior experience. It is such a disjointed experience. I just need to know if the author gives a fuck at all about his own shit.
Ganeos Paran isn’t really a random kid. He’s a part of one of the noble houses who you’ll find out is pretty tied to the empress.

• 2Like

Sterling

El Presidente
Ganeos Paran isn’t really a random kid. He’s a part of one of the noble houses who you’ll find out is pretty tied to the empress.
This as well as it being sort of a critical moment for her as well as the particular soldier involved is not exactly someone random.

• 1Like

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Just finished the new karsa book, awesome. Caused me to drudge up old feelings and start my first reread of malazan since my first ever read of it 5 or so years ago. Shit it’s better than I remember and after reading the karsa book (i’ll call it saltwater book now) I’m somehow much more in tune with the whole setting than I was the first time. About done with book one and I really like it, much better than my first time through. My .02 cents

Honestly, it's the only series that has gotten better the more I've read it. I still love The Black Company series, and a few others, but nothing tops this. Most series go down the more the author writes and while this series has valleys and peaks, nothing comes close to overall quality. I'm still kinda amazed how much I enjoy these books.

• 3Solidarity
  • 3Like
Reactions: 5 users

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I would say gardens has a bit of the sanderson avalanche where it really kicks into gear the last 3rd, most of it is establishing characters

• 2Like

Skinner

Trakanon Raider
Grats Intrinsic Intrinsic on that complete Subterranean Press collection (which is fucking awesome btw and sells for 10K on Ebay).

Your collection got me googling around and I discovered that Erikson has contracted the Subterranean Press to do another similar run. The copies wont be lettered, they wont be numbered, there will be a lot of copies printed in comparison, and there‘s a possibility that the artwork will be different, but the quality of the next run will still match SP’s quality standards. They intend to start with the first two books and if they sell well (they should) they intend to continue with the rest of the main series.

This is a great (and potentially last) opportunity to get a complete matching hardcover set for Books 1-10 that are not second hand. No dates listed yet but rumor has it the preorder page will pop up sometime this year.

News was dropped in July on the SP Readers Facebook group:

If you can’t read it:

William Schafer​

So: I signed contracts today to reprint GARDENS OF THE MOON and DEADHOUSE GATES.
These editions will be signed (though not numbered) and feature the art (where it can be negotiated) from our limited editions.
There will be some differences, as the author has requested some specific binding features and details.
More news as and when…

and Reddit:

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Grats Intrinsic Intrinsic on that complete Subterranean Press collection (which is fucking awesome btw and sells for 10K on Ebay).

Your collection got me googling around and I discovered that Erikson has contracted the Subterranean Press to do another similar run. The copies wont be lettered, they wont be numbered, there will be a lot of copies printed in comparison, and there‘s a possibility that the artwork will be different, but the quality of the next run will still match SP’s quality standards. They intend to start with the first two books and if they sell well (they should) they intend to continue with the rest of the main series.

This is a great (and potentially last) opportunity to get a complete matching hardcover set for Books 1-10 that are not second hand. No dates listed yet but rumor has it the preorder page will pop up sometime this year.

News was dropped in July on the SP Readers Facebook group:

If you can’t read it:

and Reddit:

Umm I never even bothered to check eBay for these… yikes. And that listing isn’t a matched set either. Wonder if he gets any bids. I may be putting those back in their boxes tomorrow morning.

lol three of those were still sealed in the shipping until I put them out haha

Jesus I should have bought the lettered editions…

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Fuck, I saw those back when the first was being released and was going to get it, but forgot about it. After that I didn’t want to get any since I wouldn’t have the set.

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
Thanks for the info on the Sub Press release. I’d like to get matching copies of the books, so I’ll definitely be keeping my eyes peeled for when these go on sale.