Malazan Book Of The Fallen

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
The series does kind of make me wish I had a laptop or tablet handy just to look up names while I read. I read at night on my kindle in bed, my desktop may as well be on the moon.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
I read all the books the old fashioned way, but I'm mainly an audiobook guy these days. Audible has the first four, but they seem to have stopped there for some reason.
Too long, ran out of disk space
wink.png

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
I attempted to do a full reread leading up to The Crippled God, but I lost the will during Reapers Gale and skipped the rest in between. The highlight of the series for me was Kalam vs the Claw in the Bonehunters
I've read and reread both Erikson and Esslemont's Malazan work. A few months ago, I was talking with a buddy who I'd convinced to read the series. He had just finished The Crippled God, and we were talking about:

Gesler and Stormy there at the end.

I got nostalgic about the book and decided to reread it. For whatever reason, when I was finished I picked up Dust of Dreams and started reading that again. Now I've worked my way backwards to Midnight Tides. It's silly, reading them backwards, but I'm enjoying it just as much as always when reading Malazan stuff.

I am always surprised by the small details I notice after having read the books before, especially in the little excerpts before chapters.

Tirant

Golden Knight of the Realm
I understood fuckall the first time through. Second time through was the best read of a series I've ever had, I think.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Just knowing Rake's background and what being a Jahgut means changes so much of the narrative from what you experience in the vacuum that is Gardens of the Moon. A great book, sure, but it is much better as a reread when you know about Whiskeyjack's past, just how powerful Quickben is, and how Rake participating is just him railing against the apathy his people have acquired. Oh, and Raest becoming the fucking Azath's doorman is hilarious in it's own sake, and it is great to see his arrogance prior to his predetermined fate.

Gardens is a great book, but it is substantially better once you understand some of the background during a re-read.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
For some reason it is my favorite book of the series and most people write it off and retcon the whole book.
It's a fine book. It's dense to start and I have no issues with anyone having that complaint.

However, it's very obvious it was meant as a stand alone novel. And the "retcon" that exists is Erikson tacking it on to a series that should have started with Deadhouse Gates.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I'mass got nerfed into the ground yo. And I don't think Raast's mind control was ever seen again. (closest thing was the mass pacification thing certain Forkrul could do?) Tyrants just became the rare Jahgut that actually wanted to form a society and conquer others.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Re-reading sounds delightful, but I'll probably never do it.

I honestly might never re-read a book again. I've got like 200 books on my nook waiting to be read, many of which I am very much looking forward to starting. Makes the idea of delving in to 10,000 pages of book I've already read feel like a chore, even if it's a series I like and will get more out of.

Except maybe Discworld, best books ever to read in between big heavy books.

WASDA

Molten Core Raider
That new Assail book was such a letdown...... The place is hyped up so hard throughout the series, so you would expect some sicko convergence and badass fights..... Fucking Esselmont !

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
That new Assail book was such a letdown...... The place is hyped up so hard throughout the series, so you would expect some sicko convergence and badass fights..... Fucking Esselmont !
Really struggling to even continue it at the moment. It seemed Esselmont was actually improving but this is just terrible. When is the next Kharkanas book, next year??

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Same problems as Blood and Bone? Completely useless plots, underutilized character, and a boring convergence?