Manager wanting to change work hours on you -- what to do?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Why do male bosses make stupid decisions?

Edit: And to ShakyJake, what industry you in? My corporate experience was always that IT groups were always shit on.
haha. good one. i meant female bosses make retarded decisions because they are trying to prove how tough and commanding they are compared to men. yeah male bosses do retarded shit too, its because they are retarded, not because they feel the need to prove they have balls

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
These are all too often famous last words man, heh.EVERYONEis replaceable. This attitude is sure to fuck you in the ass...potentially. You should take stock of how good this job is for you and how much your quality of life may change for better or worse if you find yourself getting something different. Probably including how easily you will find something, and obviously taking pay/benefits/schedule into consideration too.
^ This guy gets it.

Business isn't always guided by rationality and companies arent always managed by rational actors. Everyone is replaceable, no matter how good they are and how much work they do. Learned this one from experience a long time ago when I thought I was King Shit (and I really was).

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
This is the worst idea ever, once you pass on another job because they sucked up to you on the previous one means that your current manager will know that you would leave in a heartbeat and will slowly start transferring duties from you and make you less irreplaceable until they ultimately fire you.
^

This guy gets it too. If any of my employees ever threatened to leave, I'd do exactly what Obtenor said. I'd start working out a plan on transferring duties and looking for a replacement the next day.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
^

This guy gets it too. If any of my employees ever threatened to leave, I'd do exactly what Obtenor said. I'd start working out a plan on transferring duties and looking for a replacement the next day.
For reals, you don't ever threaten to quit....you just quit. Only time I ever quit and stayed was when the owner took me aside and gave me a $4 an hour raise because I told them I was going to finish my day then I'm not coming back because I had another job already lined up. Ended up firing me 2 years later though!

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Having owned a business if someone threatened to quit I normally got rid of them that day, or at least put into motion a plan to get rid of them very soon. It's not a great negotiating tactic to me.

You have two options, complain and stay or just quit.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Yeah, I'm not going to threaten to quit. I have more of the attitude at this point of "What are you going to do? Fire me?". Which I know they won't, but then again I really don't want to start any wheels in motion on the topic. So, thanks to the responses here I recognize I need to cool it with the attitude.

A lot of it is just the pure frustration with our business. I have never worked with an organization so disorganized. We're a medical software company whose database software is in quite a few hospitals out there. The projects we work on are various things such as adding support for a single medical device all the way to full-blown, multi-facility, multi-device installations. The data from these point-of-care devices download into our database software. My job entails massaging that data out of our database and into the hospital's lab system. Essentially it's translating the data into a form their system recognizes via VB scripts. I enjoy the job and it's given me the opportunity to write various tools to aid us in making what we do easier. I feel I'm extremely good at recognizing inefficiencies and creating solutions. Like someone said above, I've acquired new skills thanks to this job but I'm not really recognized for it. I mean, they KNOW I've done this stuff and some are impressed, but when it comes to review time these aren't really factored in.

ANYHOO, we have over 1000 active projects right now of various tasks revolving around the above. You know how they're keep tracking of this stuff? With a shared Excel spreadsheet. Yes, 1000+ entries on an Excel spreadsheet where about 20 people are trying to access it simultaneously. Progress is recorded by adding little "comment" fields to various cells. It's laughable and what's frustrating is how they're completely oblivious to the fact that they're being retarded.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
I wouldnt waste money on Sharepoint to manage you tards either. You'd just make a bigger mess out of that.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Start bring the place down from the inside one slightly loosened screw at a time.
I think this is already happening without any help from me. I know the PMs are flipping out to a high degree because work keeps getting piled on. We have way more incoming than outgoing.

I wouldnt waste money on Sharepoint to manage you tards either. You'd just make a bigger mess out of that.
Actually, this is exactly what I'm considering. I've set up a Sharepoint 2013 Foundation server and managed to import the spreadsheet into a List app. It's still cumbersome but at least it's a bit easier to navigate around and see only the stuff applicable to you.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Actually, this is exactly what I'm considering. I've set up a Sharepoint 2013 Foundation server and managed to import the spreadsheet into a List app. It's still cumbersome but at least it's a bit easier to navigate around and see only the stuff applicable to you.
I know, but the real problem is not implementation, its the user commitment to making the project work. Basically, the more people you have on the low end of the totem pole, the less fucks they give, the more likely that this entire endeavour will go awry real fast. Sharepoint is entirely dependent on the commitment of its users to make it a viable system, meaning that as soon as someone stops properly updating tasks and fails to add notes, the system becomes largely worthless. And since you mention customer support/phone support - I assume you got a lot of people at the bottom of the totem pole.

It's like giving a brand new top of the line MacBook Pros to a classroom of inner city "urban" youth thinking that they will transform into honor students when in all likelihood half of them will trade it for a gun next day.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Quite honestly, at this point, I am absolutely confident they need me more than I need them.
This is almost never true. Unless you're independently wealthy or something, even then, they can replace you. Cold hard reality. Doesn't really impact you as long as you're good with it, but unless your company is just mismanaged as fuck, they don't "need" any one person.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
There are basically two things that can happen here. First off, you tell them you can't/won't work said hours, then they can either say "okay, well we won't schedule you then" or they can schedule you then and say "whelp, you are scheduled, show up or it counts as a no-show and you will be fired." Outside of that you won't have much recourse.

As some have mentioned you might be eligible for unemployment from a discharge like that depending on your state.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Also on that note, if you threaten to quit, you can kiss unemployment benefits good bye when they do fire you.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
It would be pretty humorous if she fired you for refusing to work late. You're already doing that work for free by being available after hours, so she's just pmsing at not paying you for it because you don't punch a time clock? If she does fire you, I'd probably have a talk with her boss on the way out the door and make sure they understand what a cunt she is.

OTOH, if they are paying you for overtime when you give after hours support, that's a different issue. Maybe consider offering to take comp time instead of pay since you don't seem to need the money.

iannis

Musty Nester
Comp time is a complete scam. I have never known -anyone- that had a positive experience with that shit. Even if you don't need the money take the money. Asking your boss for comp time is like asking "Is it ok if I work for free? It's legal as long as you call it comp time". You'll be screwed out of the comp time so fucking fast... getting something for your work is better than getting nothing.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
If you get screwed out of comp time, its your own fault for being a bleeding vagina, TBH.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Find new job. My current job just switched my hours to a split weekend, off thursday and sunday. Start my new job in 2 weeks. Fuck that noise.