[Manga] Naruto (warning: spoilers up to current chapter)

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
I don't get it, why would anyone bother watching filler episodes. You already know it's not cannon and there is no character progression.
Some filler episodes/arcs are wonderful. One piece episode 384 stands out, as one of the best filler ever. It's entirely character development, showing what each of the crew do in an average day on the seas as a new member tries to fit in.

The G8 filler arc in One Piece was better than half of the cannon arcs.

I'm sure you could find more in other series.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
I don't know if it qualifies as "filler" but some of the character focused epsiodes of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex were highlights of the series for me and the story didn't have any progression at all.

This is filler:

Column_sl

shitlord
The Dragonball Z movies are pretty much all filler, and they were better then the series.

So it is possible to make good filler, but in Naruto's case that didn't happen pre Shipuuden.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I think you just get in a rhythm where once a week you watch a show and even if that show will probably be shit you're still going to watch it.

My problem with filler is that they always seemed to be too slow. I get why when you make an 22 minute anime out of a 20 page comic you need a lot of slow pacing but if you're doing filler you should go nuts, but everything seemed to drag on and on.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The slower the filler is the less you have to come up with? Hell if I know. Anyway, I ended up skipping to Shippuden. On Ep 24 atm, and I gotta say I think Deidara is the dumbest character they've ever introduced. My special power is infusing my chakra into plastic explosive. Fucking stupid.

Sasori is pretty badass, and his story is creepy as fuck too. Too bad I know he dies and Deidara doesn't.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The slower the filler is the less you have to come up with? Hell if I know. Anyway, I ended up skipping to Shippuden. On Ep 24 atm, and I gotta say I think Deidara is the dumbest character they've ever introduced. My special power is infusing my chakra into plastic explosive. Fucking stupid.

Sasori is pretty badass, and his story is creepy as fuck too. Too bad I know he dies and Deidara doesn't.
wow that arc has my favorite fight scene, surprisingly its with sakura.
sakura being a mindless puppet for an old timer chiyu (i'm guessing she had to have been kage level) to control is the best sakura ever, she doesn't fail b/c of saskae, she doesn't emo b/c of saskae, she's not regulated to being a worthless healing bitch that throws one punch, epic fails and is told to stand back and heal injuries.

Kaio

Bronze Knight of the Realm
From your tone it almost implies you think that was filler...it wasn't. I think it was also before shippuden began to slow to a crawl. I think I stopped at episode 50-60 of Shippuden and downloaded a few recommended episodes here and there.

Ghost in the Shell and Cowboy Bebop were anime originals so it's not the same as Naruto fillers. I can understand that fillers can be entertaining but I'm just not huge on them. Back in the DBZ years (almost 17-18 years years ago lol) I actually bought subtitled tapes imported from china, haha. Never got around to watching anything outside of movie 2.

I did think one of the Shippuden movies were good though a few years back. It was also the only one I watched.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
About fucking time he showed back up! I just wonder if he's here to save the day or what.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
"EVERYONE LOOK AT THE GENJUTSU MOON! NOW!" -Kiba, future hokage

"I got this!" - Roshi

Moon1.jpg

how-much-power-does-it-take-to-destroy-the-moon-13867.jpg