Manila Philippines

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
It was the size of a chicken egg. No feathers or face that I saw. I think they said it was 17 days.

The taste isn't horrible. It's dat texture.

I also chased it with a bottle of Red Horse

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's the idea of beak and claws that's offputting! Ugh.. I have been around the world and tried strange things, but I have to draw the line there!

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
Balut is good, I like vietnam style with mint leaf though.

Red horse what are we a fucking local now?

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
We had an hour and a bit stopover out of Cebu and we went outside the airport to a lechon stand. Just unbelievably tasty.

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
Cebu lechon is supposed to be the best in the world. People overnight that shit to america.

ili_sl

shitlord
drinking tanduay&coke @ 9am on the beach waiting for the liempo to finish cooking on the fire. talking about ignorant foreigners with my inlaws. taking a nap at noon then later going to the sabong, to fight my rooster. that feeling when your rooster wins and you get to make halang halang from the looser for later when your drinking again & playing tongits.. how I wish didn't have 30+ years till i can retire. not a care in the fucking world.

khorum

Murder Apologist
It's been a while for me but street food in Subic/Olongapo had always been my favorite. Do they still sell Taho and Mangang Hilaw (unripe mango with shrimp paste) from street vendors? That. was. the. shit.

Every time I see filipino cuisine in the states or australia it's always the Sinigang or Lechon or the other spanish-inspired stuff that was kinda meh---so it's not surprising it gets a shitty rap---but I literally lived off Taho and Bibinka while I was stationed there and I'm kinda perplexed that their street food like sisig etc aren't what they put forward.

ili_sl

shitlord
Yep. Nothing really changes in the Philippines or it happens at a very very slow pace. The shrimp paste is one of the things I never really liked. I'll eat the salted/dried fish but not the shrimp paste or Durian

I miss the special Bibinka from San Fernando's fiesta, Kinilaw from Misamis Oriental, young buko right from the tree, and the fresh beer delivered to my home from the brewery. Most of the other stuff I can get locally here in NJ.

Man.. I really love the Philippine red hot dogs(pinoy virginia hot dogs.. mmmmm) they are so much better then American hot dogs. My local store imports them, costly but worth it.

khorum

Murder Apologist
They put those fucking hotdogs in spaghetti lol. Actually i remember spaghetti is like some special treat over there. McDonald's had spaghetti haha.

There was a bunch of different kinds of that shrimp paste, the sweetish rust/red type which was awesome and the really shitty purple one made with anchovies which was foul.

I remember they had like a chunky grey/green sauce that was in a jar that they used for lechon. I was never a huge fan of lechon but that grey sauce was fucking AWESOME on steak or porkchops or chicken... we'd barbecue and use that shit on everything.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I thought Filipinos ate Jollibee's every meal
wink.png

I don't know if this sounds strange, but I had the best curry ever in Ph. Place called Ziggurat in Makati. Curry so fresh and tasty that I was able to forgive the massive rat that ran past of me.

ili_sl

shitlord
I thought Filipinos ate Jollibee's every meal
wink.png
Its crazy how many fast food places there are in PH. Seems like half the stores in the malls are fast food places. Plus they have food courts with the local stuff, the restaurants, the snack shops/booths.. etc. The other half of the malls are cell phone shops. The arcades are really nice there too. Never seen so many adults playing games in an arcade before. Some of them have horse/clown racing type gambling games which take 1 peso coins that I like. There is also bingo in a lot of the malls.

I like to sit and watch the college girls (they all wear school uniforms(skirts) play those dance games that are so popular there.
biggrin.png
(they have those newer Kinect Arcade Dance games too) Its so easy to pick up college girls at the arcades. Just start playing one of the dance games then ask one of many girls standing around you to join.. they go up to 4 players. your going to draw a crowd if you do this for longer then 10 mins. lol

Malls are crazy around holidays cause the population is so dense, shoulder to shoulder.. even on a normal fri/weekend night there is usually a line to get inside the malls(they have security checks going in). A lot of malls have grocery stores inside of them.

Max's restaurant has some good curry / food also.

the spaghetti thing = long life. same with the pancit.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Jollibees was kinda terrible. I can't say I missed it lol. Unlike yoshinoya in Japan which I still miss to this day.

Actually there's a jollibee in LA, last I went there... From what I could tell it was pretty popular so it might still be there.

McDonald's in the Philippines was pretty nice tho... They had a very Filipino-ized McDonald's menu like the spaghetti etc.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
How is it that I can find all these wonderfully delicious pork belly dishes all over Phils, but in North America, pork belly (in is non-bacon form) is not very common? Is it because we use it all for bacon? Pork belly has so many other preparation techniques!

Gimme dat bicol express

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
How is it that I can find all these wonderfully delicious pork belly dishes all over Phils, but in North America, pork belly (in is non-bacon form) is not very common? Is it because we use it all for bacon? Pork belly has so many other preparation techniques!

Gimme dat bicol express
Where do you live? The pork belly you're talking about is pretty easy to find in SF.