Marriage and the Power of Divorce

iannis

Musty Nester
They both send young men in white shirts out to my house to ask me if I've heard the good news about the Lord Jesus Christ.

That's enough for me. Of course, to be fair. The Witnesses around here are black and the mormons are white. So that's different.

I'm sure they're way different. I lump them both into the "mostly crazy but mostly harmless God fearing folk who I would not want to go to church with" group!

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
They are cult like enough to shun family during a pregnancy, and they are kinda alright?

Start splashing them with holy water and see if they smoke. If not you can just play it off as trying to save them or some shit.

I mean my family is a bunch of assholes, but they are my damn assholes. Some jumped up elder is gonna tell me to disavow them? They had better at least bring some cookies as a bribe or something.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Jehovah's witnesses do what is called Disfellowshiping. Family and friends cut all contact until the disfellowshipped person is "reinstated". This takes a random amount of time based on the person church attendance. Every three or so months the "Elders" (which each congregation has about 10 or so of) meet and discuss if god has forgiven the persons sins or whatever. Im sure they prey and make some shit up.

She's a JW or mormon? Someone asked how your mormon wife was doing and you didn't correct them. I'ts easier for me to believe JWs can forgive a shunning without the behaviour changing than mormons.

Also, JW is an unfortunate name. I think they get some overflow jew hate.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
She's JayDubs

Even patents of sinner Mormons wouldn't pass up the opportunity to attend the birth of their bastard grandchildren

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Being a german midwesterner, shunning family comes easily. It freaks my wife out though. My mom and I did not speak a word and I did not visit or call for nearly three years over an argument, which blew my wife's mind. To me, it was like: I have nothing more to say and holidays are a lot more relaxing with just us. There is also a big fued over my grandmother's death and my aunt being a giant crazy cunt over it where we basically collectively told them to all fuck off and now only our immediate family communicates. So much better for stress when you are willing to cut the cord like that.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I cut my mom off when she attempted suicide for the 800th time and my wife couldn't fathom why I cut her off in her time of need

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
The bad thing about JW's is that their faith requires them to be increasingly selfish the older they get.

They are told that if they follow the rules they will gain everlasting life in the "New System".

Since the main tenet's of be a JW keep you poor and isolated, later in life all you have to hope for is death and resurrection to everlasting life in the "New System"

So if they don't cling to doing what's right in the faith then they risk wasting there whole life on nothing if they die sinful.

They are nice enough people day to day. But can be insanely selfish.

Dioblaire

And now my Watch has ended...
<Donor>
Being a german midwesterner, shunning family comes easily. It freaks my wife out though. My mom and I did not speak a word and I did not visit or call for nearly three years over an argument, which blew my wife's mind. To me, it was like: I have nothing more to say and holidays are a lot more relaxing with just us. There is also a big fued over my grandmother's death and my aunt being a giant crazy cunt over it where we basically collectively told them to all fuck off and now only our immediate family communicates. So much better for stress when you are willing to cut the cord like that.

I cut my mom off when she attempted suicide for the 800th time and my wife couldn't fathom why I cut her off in her time of need

Count me in the same boat. It's been around five years now. Got tired of talking to someone on the phone that was drunk or high on pills every damn time. Not to mention all she ever did was complain about stupid shit, or try to guilt trip me for one thing or another.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Wife decided she was gonna start cleaning out the office today

What that means is there is shit EVERYWHERE and she will give up tomorrow or just never pick it back up. Urge to kill rising.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
You've got a lot of patience about that. My place is never super clean, but it's always tidy. Having shit just strewn about the furniture and floor would drive me mad.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
If I take my eyes off my four year old for more than 10 minutes he'll have the living room dismantled into it's fundamental fort-building components.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You've got a lot of patience about that. My place is never super clean, but it's always tidy. Having shit just strewn about the furniture and floor would drive me mad.
It's gotten to the point that I do what I need and that's it. When people come over I don't clean up shit she leaves around. Since it's usually her family they shame her pretty bad. Right now I'm waiting for her to finally figure this shit out.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>

What that means is there is shit EVERYWHERE and she will give up tomorrow or just never pick it back up. Urge to kill rising.

My wife likes to take on projects. The issue is, she always takes on projects with elements she can't do herself, and will need me to do. When she starts one of these projects, I like to say to her, "Oh, good. I was looking to take something else on." She gets bitchy for a bit, and then sheepishly asks for help.

Some day I'll say no, probably. Guess we'll see what that brings.

iannis

Musty Nester

raw.gif

• 1Like

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
My wife likes to take on projects. The issue is, she always takes on projects with elements she can't do herself, and will need me to do. When she starts one of these projects, I like to say to her, "Oh, good. I was looking to take something else on." She gets bitchy for a bit, and then sheepishly asks for help.

Some day I'll say no, probably. Guess we'll see what that brings.
No balls.

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
I'm not saying put the actual fear of God in her, but I feel like this applies to a lot of different dudes who all do the shit of internalizing what drives them nuts

Have you tried getting into a huge argument about it?

Like I mean. I don't know if you're so avoidant of conflict because of you or if it's because she's the type to absolutely have a meltdown if you treat her like a hostile witness

But clearly shaming and bottling up isn't changing shit all. She's only going to get worse once the second kid comes and as she gets older.

Some of the best things I could have heard about my shitty habits were screamed at me in the middle of hysterical throw down arguments. Shit sucked and you never want to go through it again, but...It makes an impression? Not for the screaming and freaking out aspect so much as- it breaks her out of her comfortable fuck it mode. Shows you actually do got some passion in you about shit, even its regarding all the stuff she does that is shitty and not okay.