Marriage and the Power of Divorce

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
So after reading all of your opinions on the situation this morning, you've given me a different perspective. I've known that I haven't been pulling my weight, financially, but at the very least, I am an excellent father. My wife has told me as much. Anyway, I have a few interviews today and tomorrow, which is good.

My wife had work last night. She's a nurse that works three 12-hour shifts from 7p-7a every week. I got my daughter to bed at a very reasonable hour last night (7:30p) because we were up until almost 11p the day before for 4th of July fun. She slept until 8a when I finally woke her up. The day started good enough. I made eggs for breakfast. I'm a master at breakfast, so I CAN cook. It's just that I don't have the finesse to make things always taste as good as my wife does. She inherently knows which seasonings to put in things, where as I need to read the instructions over and over again, and even then, things are acceptable but not great. As such, I don't really try with anything except breakfast. Maybe I should.

Anyway, after breakfast, my wife arrived home from work. I had made her eggs as well, so she ate them before taking a shower. I took my daughter to school and then went in to town because I needed gas. I got home around an hour after dropping her off, and to my surprise, my wife was still awake. She was sad. A few tears here and there, but holding a tissue. My first thought was "Oh no, something happened to her grandfather." Mainly because when we talked yesterday, she didn't cry. It was very matter of fact. And her grandfather is getting very old, and has been in and out of hospitals a lot lately. He's 92. But she said she was thinking about Natsumi and I all night, and she was really sad that she wanted to end it. She said that she did love me, and sees that I am trying, but she's under a lot of stress. I told her that I had made this post on the message board trying to detail the entire story of our lives together. The community here had given me a change of opinion, while also reinforcing the opinion that I was a piece of shit (in so many words). I told her that no matter what happens, I want her to be happy. Well, and our daughter also. And if mom's happiness comes with me not being around, that is what it is. I will accept it without a fight and get a job doing Resident Management where they provide me with a free place to live on premise of whatever building I would be taking care of.

She cried a bit more, and said that she no longer wants a divorce. I'm also in tears at this point. She wants to keep having all of the happy family moments that we always have, just wants more of them. Less computer/TV time, and more board games/family togetherness time. We don't even have any board games here, so I need to pick some up. She said that she still loves me, and it might be the pregnancy that is causing these emotions, and that she is unsure of herself because of it. But I've always been her strength.

We kissed, and she went to bed. It was a long night at work, and she is exhausted. I'm looking forward to my interviews today.

• 9Like
Reactions: 8 users

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Reason 1,643 that I don't have birds and chickens.

• 4Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Take it as your wake up call. You will likely not get another chance.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Not for nothing, but I put a lot more weight on what MG says than anyone else in this thread. She at least puts out the female perspective. As guys, the rest of us always miss shit that female insight picks up on.

In regards to both Cad and MG, yes. I DO have Multiple Sclerosis. I also have Rheumatoid Arthritis. (won the unlucky lottery there). Back in PA, they were terrible, but all of my symptoms are virtually non-existent out here. My neurologist back in PA said that might be the case before I moved down here, because being closer to the equator has major beneficial effects on problems such as mine. Even going from PA down to Florida or Texas is helpful. He has patients that have crippling diseases that have moved to Texas and are doing fantastic. And there's almost zero chance that the children will ever develop MS as a result. Hawaii is just a little more so. I'm actually on the same latitude as the middle of Cuba. As a result, I've been off of all of my medications for both ailments for a year now, and I feel fantastic. Hawaii is great for my condition. That's another reason why I'm not interested in going back to PA full time.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

edko

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well, my place up here is a rented place.

The complication comes from our animals, specifically our birds and chickens...Can't have those in an apt.

Ship the chickens to Xarpolis Xarpolis for practice.

Happy to be a problem solver.

And Xarpolis, good luck bro. And take a look at Serious Eats, it's a good place to learn some techniques and try some recipes used by real humans (read: not chefs). When in doubt, salt.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I picked up a book not long ago called Ratio about a month ago. It has to do with cooking, telling you the proper ratio of ingredients to use for almost any dish to have it turn out tasting decent. To be honest, I still haven't even looked at it outside of a second ago to read the cover. I'll have to make dinner tonight.

LulzSect

Well-Known Memer
<Banned>
Man, you are just rough to deal with some times. Look at my quote. Now look at your quote. Notice where I reference double time and you reference overtime. Now stop talking because you're in over your head, yet again.

The money makes a big difference. OT and DT add up quick. We also work a more or less non mental capacity job. You can do quite a bit when you're not burning thru brainpower doing it and it just becomes physical stamina.

It's also the price you pay for not going to college (or in the case of many of our guys, getting a worthless degree). It's not unheard of for guys to pull down 100k. That's only 4-5 guys though, the rest of the "normal" workaholic guys can pull 70-80k no problem though, and that's not fucking bad at all for a HS diploma.

Furthermore, it's not as bad as it sounds. The summer of my rookie year was all 16's. I left the house before midnight and walked in the door at 4pm, and did that 4 days a week all summer. By the end of the summer I had managed to move up far enough to get a job where I was only working 4-12's. Over the years, they've fluctuated between extra days and daily OT. Sometimes it's 4-15's, sometimes it's just working 7-10's or 12's. Depends on staffing and how things are structured. Also, we have a busy season and an off season, and OT dries up in the off season.

Also, I came in after the REALLY bad times. There are plenty of guys with stories of working 60-90 days in a row with no scheduled days off, and plenty of guys who worked 20-22 hour days too. It's a hard living for awhile, but like I said, you move up the chain quick when you're burning out guys that quickly. If you can stick around, you've got a pretty comfortable job on pretty comfortable days on a pretty comfortable shift and don't really have to do anything. You just need to work to get there, just like anything else in life. I'm on first shift now and do literally 1/4 of the work I used to do, so I don't consider that a bad trade at all.

Sanitation? My boy works those kind of hours but rakes in the OT dough.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
If they had 100 hours of work for me to do a week I would gladly do it. I'd be able to retire in like 2 years.

Instead I play WoW all day because they barely have 10 hours of work a week for me to do.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Well, my place up here is a rented place.

The complication comes from our animals, specifically our birds and chickens...Can't have those in an apt.

So uhh... I'd put family time before birds and chickens, man. If thats all thats holding you up.

• 1Worf

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Not for nothing, but I put a lot more weight on what MG says than anyone else in this thread. She at least puts out the female perspective. As guys, the rest of us always miss shit that female insight picks up on.

In regards to both Cad and MG, yes. I DO have Multiple Sclerosis. I also have Rheumatoid Arthritis. (won the unlucky lottery there). Back in PA, they were terrible, but all of my symptoms are virtually non-existent out here. My neurologist back in PA said that might be the case before I moved down here, because being closer to the equator has major beneficial effects on problems such as mine. Even going from PA down to Florida or Texas is helpful. He has patients that have crippling diseases that have moved to Texas and are doing fantastic. And there's almost zero chance that the children will ever develop MS as a result. Hawaii is just a little more so. I'm actually on the same latitude as the middle of Cuba. As a result, I've been off of all of my medications for both ailments for a year now, and I feel fantastic. Hawaii is great for my condition. That's another reason why I'm not interested in going back to PA full time.

Thats good news, sorry I wasn't trying to be a fuckhead with that I was just wondering if you were leaving out part of the story.

Is part of the pressure for her to make you be successful coming from her family?

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
I think the guys make some of the same points I do, but being who I am, I may round the edges a bit more than they.
With your emotions being raw, it can take a while to sift through all of the suggestions. From what I have read (and choose to believe based on consistency of reporting throughout threads and years and also that the self-reports are not always "see how great I am" but rather "damn, I did this but this is how I resolved it") there are some high quality spouses here. So sift through, pay attention to detail see who is consistent and seemingly honest and also note the men who say the best things about their wives. That also is telling.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I think the guys make some of the same points I do, but being who I am, I may round the edges a bit more than they.
With your emotions being raw, it can take a while to sift through all of the suggestions. From what I have read (and choose to believe based on consistency of reporting throughout threads and years and also that the self-reports are not always "see how great I am" but rather "damn, I did this but this is how I resolved it") there are some high quality spouses here. So sift through, pay attention to detail see who is consistent and seemingly honest and also note the men who say the best things about their wives. That also is telling.

I say nice things about my wife and they call me a liar :(

LulzSect

Well-Known Memer
<Banned>
IMG_0241.GIF

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
I say nice things about my wife and they call me a liar :(
Some of them may but I don't, why would I? You also have made mention about the things she does that may be slightly annoying sometime. The nice always outweighs the others. G was like that...the things he wrote about me good or not so good were true. Why wouldn't I give the same weight to your statements?
Your behavior in posting and reporting is consistent as well so either it is true or you are top tier troll.
I go with true.

Omi43221

Trakanon Raider
... I also have Rheumatoid Arthritis. (won the unlucky lottery there). Back in PA, they were terrible, but all of my symptoms are virtually non-existent out here. My neurologist back in PA said that might be the case before I moved down here, because being closer to the equator has major beneficial effects on problems such as mine. Even going from PA down to Florida or Texas is helpful. He has patients that have crippling diseases that have moved to Texas and are doing fantastic. And there's almost zero chance that the children will ever develop MS as a result. Hawaii is just a little more so. I'm actually on the same latitude as the middle of Cuba. As a result, I've been off of all of my medications for both ailments for a year now, and I feel fantastic. Hawaii is great for my condition. That's another reason why I'm not interested in going back to PA full time.

Okay..and I didn't realize that when I said move where the money is, you are literally in needing 24/7 medication for pain if you move to far north. Just keep your options open.
Watch this perhaps it will be some inspiration.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Xarpolis Xarpolis - good to hear she's wanting to work it out, just be prepared for more ups and downs especially with her being pregnant.

I'm pretty sure I've said it before - know what both of you want. Know how you're going to get there. Screw making the other party figure it out, and to hell with just letting shit happen. There is nothing magical about marriage, it's a monumental task to have a good one.

After almost a quarter century of being married, I assure you the time to make what you want happen is now.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
One thing that bothered me - at this point no job should be beneath you.

Additionally If you ever need a resume critique you can take out your name and people can look at it here.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users