Marriage and the Power of Divorce

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah smoking is my vice. I've never taken a hit of any drug, not even pot. I occasionally drink, but I've been drunk less than 20 times in my life (and I even think it's less than 10). I don't judge those who do, it's just something that never appealed to me. But for whatever reason I just upped and decided to take up smoking when I was 18. All my other friends were doing it, there was a certain level of rebellion to it, and I was a fucking dumbass (biggest reason). I beg my children every day to not be stupid like I was and pick it up as they will regret it fully 10 years down the line. I vape now. Primarily because it's way cheaper. Not sure if it's any healthier or not, but I just cannot muster the will power to stay away for any amount of time. Tried the patch and lozenges, and even went to Chantix until the crazy bad acid trip fever dreams were the only thing I got out of it (did not help stem the urge at all).

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I have a friend who was a hardcore smoker and Chantix worked wonders for him. Pretty much quit immediately.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
A friend of mine has an uncle who was taking chantix until one day he had, had enough and made his wife pull off the side the road middle of nowhere and he got out the car, lost himself in the woods, and made his way home the following day with a carton of cigarettes and said he's never taking that shit again. Could never view those Chantix commercials the same after that. Doesn't help the people doing them do have a crazy eye to them.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Smoking was the only thing I ever felt truly addicted too. I dipped for a couple of years after I quit smoking and just decided one day that I didn't want to any more and that was that. Never craved it, never missed it. Same with vaping, bought a bunch of shit, tried a whole bunch of different flavors but decided it wasn't my thing and gave all my stuff away to my brother in law.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
I can understand almost every vice except smoking. I don't get it
Man, I miss smoking cigarettes.

I smoked for 10 years give or take. It wasnt the nicotine itself. Honestly, I never liked the headrush feeling nicotine brings. It was the ritual, the deliberate and mindful act of taking a 10 minute break. It was the deliberate, controlled breathing that brought a meditative calm. It was above all the social aspect. How many of my best friends in college and grad school years did I meet over a cigarette? It gave you immediately something in common with the random chick at the bar, an immediate and totally natural opening to conversation. It was an excuse to get out of the noisy bar and have a real conversation.

Aside from the social thing, holy shit is there any better way to start a day than a black coffee and a cigarette?

Fuck I miss smoking. It must suck to be young and going out to bars now, when no one smokes.

Obviously the whole cancer and smelling like shit parts are problematic, and I'm not tempted to take it up again.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Married for 18 years today.

26231713_10155336357672613_2423263051614998531_n.jpg

• 17Like
  • 4Solidarity
Reactions: 20 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Can you also post pics of her friends that you hit on all the time?

• 5Worf
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Congrats. That's a big accomplishment these days. Only made it a fraction of that myself.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So I was thinking, how compatible is monogamy and committed relationships in general with the advent of cellphones and social media?

Basically the way I see it is they have removed any and all barriers when it comes to cheating or acting inappropriately in monogamous relationship. With a cell phone you have your own little world that is locked away from your partner and you can basically do whatever you want(basically ring of gyges idea) without your partner ever knowing unless you are an idiot. That combined with the idea its taboo to go through your partners phone, social media etc. makes cheating as simple as a swipe on your phone with no risk.

Contrast this to 20-30 years ago, internet and cell phones wherent a thing. If you lived with your partner there was a massive risk to giving out your house phone #, as your partner would be very likely to answer it. You couldnt keep track of a partner, there was no texting them asking how long til they are home so they could show up at any time. With no email or cellphones you didnt have any secret for your eyes only way to communicate with a potential side piece. A random unknown number consistently comes up on your caller id your partner is going to be asking questions etc.

Am I just jaded from my ex being a piece of shit in this regard or does anyone else think about this? For example, I browse creepypms and cringepics subs on reddit and at least half the content submitted to it is of some idiot guy propositioning on a woman already in a relationship usually a cringe worthy way. The thing is though, it kinda seems like these women entertain this attention. Instead of just outright telling the guy off and blocking them on whatever platform, they get into arguments and go back and forth with them. Heres a great example;

If say this girl was your partner, would you find it troubling or shitty that she had no problem engaging the guy even though he was pathetically hitting on her? And continued to talk to him even after he called her a whore for saying she has a bf? For me personally, it is unsettling to have a partner who would not immediately shut that down. Or is that thinking out of line?

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
Obviously easy to say the conversation shouldn't have gone on that long, but she was pretty damn quick in mentioning she wasn't available. Was her immediate response supposed to be 'I'm dating someone' and then blocking him? Kind of a cunty way to immediately react to a guy you went to class with. Not exactly sure how else she could've handled that shit 'better', outside of cutting the guy off as soon as he went full psycho.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
So I was thinking, how compatible is monogamy and committed relationships in general with the advent of cellphones and social media?

Basically the way I see it is they have removed any and all barriers when it comes to cheating or acting inappropriately in monogamous relationship. With a cell phone you have your own little world that is locked away from your partner and you can basically do whatever you want(basically ring of gyges idea) without your partner ever knowing unless you are an idiot. That combined with the idea its taboo to go through your partners phone, social media etc. makes cheating as simple as a swipe on your phone with no risk.

Contrast this to 20-30 years ago, internet and cell phones wherent a thing. If you lived with your partner there was a massive risk to giving out your house phone #, as your partner would be very likely to answer it. You couldnt keep track of a partner, there was no texting them asking how long til they are home so they could show up at any time. With no email or cellphones you didnt have any secret for your eyes only way to communicate with a potential side piece. A random unknown number consistently comes up on your caller id your partner is going to be asking questions etc.

Am I just jaded from my ex being a piece of shit in this regard or does anyone else think about this? For example, I browse creepypms and cringepics subs on reddit and at least half the content submitted to it is of some idiot guy propositioning on a woman already in a relationship usually a cringe worthy way. The thing is though, it kinda seems like these women entertain this attention. Instead of just outright telling the guy off and blocking them on whatever platform, they get into arguments and go back and forth with them. Heres a great example;

If say this girl was your partner, would you find it troubling or shitty that she had no problem engaging the guy even though he was pathetically hitting on her? And continued to talk to him even after he called her a whore for saying she has a bf? For me personally, it is unsettling to have a partner who would not immediately shut that down. Or is that thinking out of line?

there's enough guys like that^ out in the world that most women have learned to be on guard 24/7. it's definitely surprising that she entertained the conversation for so long, tho.

you are definitely a little jaded, but i don't blame you.

there are good faithful girls out there, tho. i have one. took me a long string of bad relations before i found her, but it happened eventually.

have you been looking for dates at all? if so, where are you looking?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage
You're gonna drive yourself crazy thinking about that stuff so much.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Yeah there's nothing wrong with that. She didn't even entertain him really. What, whenever a dude talks to her she's supposed to go "I'M IN A RELATIONSHIP PIG!!!"?

Khane

Got something right about marriage
No, she's supposed to never leave the house or talk to anyone who isn't part of her immediate family without my permission. Why was she in a class? Women shouldn't be trying to learn things.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Wouldn't bother me, she's clearly shooting down his advances. Sure she could have just blocked him right away but some people like to have the last word in an argument. Not fussed.

Can't keep a cheater from cheating, that's just the way the world is. It sucks you got burnt by one but it's not something you can 100% prevent.