Marriage and the Power of Divorce

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
My sister's getting divorced. One year after marrying a guy she already has an 8 year old with.

What a fucking shit show :D
So was she like, "Ok, now that we're married, I'm going to finally change those things I didn't like for the last decade!"

Or did someone cheat?

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
So was she like, "Ok, now that we're married, I'm going to finally change those things I didn't like for the last decade!"

Or did someone cheat?

That’s how my first marriage ended. Together 8 years, has two kids. We got married and she was pregnant with twins from her affair 6 months after we tied the knot.

fris

Vyemm Raider
Isn't divorce only reeeeally needed if you want to get re-married?

My ex and I are currently working through our separation agreement. I'm going to keep the house and pay her out half of what it's current value is (minus mortgage of course). She's keeping the Honda Pilot, I keep the Honda Civic ... I get a little back from that deal, since the Pilot is pristine. Now working on the kids schedule - which is 50/50.

starting the process myself and this is likely what we'll be doing. we don't have much in savings, so whoever moves out really can't until we sell/buyout. are you going to buyout/refinance before the divorce is final? is there any reason you need to do one before the other?

Ryoz

<Donor>
Sex life probs. Last summer my wife and I started IVF and during the process sex was pretty much off the table - doctor's orders. Before that our sex life was fairly active, at the very least once a week but usually 2 - 3 times a week. I'd say my appetite was usually higher than hers but barely. After three months she got pregnant (huzzah!). For some reason I always thought pregnant women were super horny and so we were going to be having a ton of sex - spoiler alert, she wasn't one of those women. To make things worse early into the pregnancy the doctors prohibited sex due to high risk (in our 30s, ivf, twins). I was gutted but she was bearing the burden of this process so I didn't see the benefit of complaining. Fast forward to today and the twins are now 3 months old, thriving, finally starting to sleep over 6 hours a night. They were 6 weeks premature and spent some time in the NICU so at the start our days were incredibly exhausting. I have been like a ravenous beast, so thirsty for sex, and she's not been in the mood for it at all. She says her hormones feel all out of whack and she's so busy worrying about the babies and stressing about money and going back to work that she just isn't aroused and sex isn't appealing to her at all. I do understand where she's coming from, but at the same time sex is on my mind so much and not having it is really messing with my ego and my head. Anyone else experience a drought like this and what did you do?

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
starting the process myself and this is likely what we'll be doing. we don't have much in savings, so whoever moves out really can't until we sell/buyout. are you going to buyout/refinance before the divorce is final? is there any reason you need to do one before the other?

I had a separation agreement signed and notarized before any money is exchanged. She's getting her half of the house later this week.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm sure you guys have experienced this so looking for advice.

Tldr: my wife is complaining about my gaming.

Here's the thing. During most of the year I don't really game EXCEPT I raid two nights a week. Ive been doing this for about 4 years now. FoH was a little more casual whereas new guild is a little more competitive.

Starting about a year ago she started making comments about it, and my 'second family'. The new expansion launched a couple weeks ago so I've been playing more, but usually after she goes to bed. She talks shit now incessantly. At first I thought it she was joking but there's definitely malice in her tone.

First things first - if it came down to it I'd choose my wife over a game. I'm just having a hard time figuring out why she is being quite frankly a huge bitch about it.

1. I always make sure I play after kids go to bed.
2. I try to keep it at a minimum schedule.
3. I never let it get in the way of important events or family.

The constant negative comments are driving me insane. I've had some real bad thoughts that I can't publicly write here and it stems from this. Also this is deja Vu or I wrote this post before.

Yes bros, im a 34 year old loser playing wow, I know it sounds stupid but it's one of my two hobbies in my life (other is guitar). At the end of my rope.

My only thought is for years I spent nearly all day every day with her and she doesn't like me doing my own thing. I've tried to get her into hobbies but she has no friends. Thinking about seeing if her mom will go out to eat with her once a week.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>

Here's the thing. During most of the year I don't really game EXCEPT I raid two nights a week. Ive been doing this for about 4 years now. FoH was a little more casual whereas new guild is a little more competitive.

Starting about a year ago she started making comments about it, and my 'second family'. The new expansion launched a couple weeks ago so I've been playing more, but usually after she goes to bed. She talks shit now incessantly. At first I thought it she was joking but there's definitely malice in her tone.

First things first - if it came down to it I'd choose my wife over a game. I'm just having a hard time figuring out why she is being quite frankly a huge bitch about it.

The constant negative comments are driving me insane. I've had some real bad thoughts that I can't publicly write here and it stems from this. Also this is deja Vu or I wrote this post before.

Yes bros, im a 34 year old loser playing wow, I know it sounds stupid but it's one of my two hobbies in my life (other is guitar). At the end of my rope.

My only thought is for years I spent nearly all day every day with her and she doesn't like me doing my own thing. I've tried to get her into hobbies but she has no friends. Thinking about seeing if her mom will go out to eat with her once a week.

It doesn't sound to me like you're being unreasonable about this. It sounds more like she's being unreasonable. Have you confronted her? Ask her point blank "I game after the kids are in bed, a few nights a week, and it never has an impact on family events. Why is this a problem?"

Give her a chance to explain what the issue is. If you can't do that, then there's not a lot of chance to have any kind of productive conversation.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Ryoz

<Donor>

I don’t think you need to justify gaming as a hobby here.

I think you probably need to bite the bullet and ask her what the issue is next time she makes a negative comment. It’s not helping anyone to just keep ignoring the issue since you both seem to be getting increasingly annoyed and upset by it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I have asked her what the deal is and she always mentions I spend more time in there than with her. It's a patently false statement on her part. I raid on a set schedule of 9:30PM to 1:30AM on Tues/Thursday. With her going to bed at 11:00 I'm roughly robbing her of 3 hours a week. Granted, a new expansion dropped and I told her beforehand I needed to play a lot more for a few weeks to be ready and then the schedule would dip again.

It wouldn't bother me if it wasn't constant. Literally every time I go in there she say something nasty and it grates on me. I don't think I'm being unreasonable here at all, but maybe I am. Maybe I'm supposed to just sit there watching crap TV talking about my day for 7 hours a night.

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>

Are you acting like you want to spend more time with the game instead of her? This is regardless of whether you're properly controlling your gaming time or not.

Are you happier when you're gaming than with her? Do you spend more time thinking about WoW instead of her? These can manifest in your behavior and though subtle, she can pick up on them.

You could be right and that she just needs some hobbies. Or something to drain her time. For years, my gaming habits used to annoy my wife. She wanted to spend time together when I wanted to game, even if just for a bit. Essentially, what she wanted was not what I wanted. At that time, she wasn't working a demanding job and we didn't have a kid. Both of those have changed and now the complaints are pretty much gone. We get done with work, dinner, putting the kid to bed and she's exhausted. The things she used to do earlier in the day(watch some TV and crochet) were now things she wants to do during few remaining hours left in the day.

The dynamic has even reversed a bit and now there are times where I want to spend time with her(instead of gaming/crashing) and she just feels like spending some time to herself. Experience has taught me that this is normal and to give her this most of the time as long as it's reasonable.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Are you acting like you want to spend more time with the game instead of her? This is regardless of whether you're properly controlling your gaming time or not.

I don't think so. For instance, last night I told her that later in the night I'd probably go on for a little bit after we spent some time together (close to her bed time). When I came home from work we all hung out, cooked and ate food, did kids baths and bedtime routine, watched a couple of shows, worked out. Then as soon as I stood up she went "oh, running off to your second family" in a really nasty tone. Actually this made me really angry, but I kept that internal. I felt like I did nothing to provoke the reaction I received. I don't talk about the game anymore, I don't play while the kids are awake, I don't post on the forums at night, I don't involve her in anything with the game because she mocks all of it. My focus is entirely on my family.

Are you happier when you're gaming than with her? Do you spend more time thinking about WoW instead of her? These can manifest in your behavior and though subtle, she can pick up on them.

Happier is tough to answer. Lately? Yes. The reason I say this is just how nasty she's become over it. I'd rather be by myself lately. When we're just relaxing at night it's fine, but she's also been nitpicking just about everything I do lately - I stay up too late, I didn't put something away correctly, I'm not working out enough, I don't care about my health, I care about WoW more than her, I have too many hobbies and too little time for her, I didn't do the dishes to her liking, etc. The mood in the room can go from everything is fine to I want to murder my wife in about 3 seconds, and it happens CONSTANTLY.

I don't really think about WoW outside of "I have to be online for 9:30PM tonight." I'm not obsessed by any stretch of imagination, it's just something I do a couple nights a week. When I was a kid I played 7 days a week, I just don't do that now.

BTW, something I've noticed. Her mother does this to her father, except they now spend 0 time together. I guess that's what my wife is subconsciously pushing for because most times she's just making me angry. It's been a long time since you guys got some quality Noodleface complaining.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
It wouldn't bother me if it wasn't constant. Literally every time I go in there she say something nasty and it grates on me. I don't think I'm being unreasonable here at all, but maybe I am. Maybe I'm supposed to just sit there watching crap TV talking about my day for 7 hours a night.

Given any thought to putting a TV either in your gaming room or your computer in a room with a TV? I've dated plenty of women who did the same thing your wife is doing if I wanted to play games though it never happened until we were either living together or spending a lot of nights together. They were never actually mad about the gaming itself, they were mad they couldn't talk to me while I was doing it. And that always meant the same thing, me sitting there watching their shitty reality television shows with them. I never gave it enough thought to try alleviating the issue because I'm a punk and would just tell them too bad, but over the years I've come to believe that just having the computer in the same room as a couch and a TV would have solved it. The same thing happens to most of my married friends who have any hobbies that keep them away from their wives during "TV time." And none of them are gamers.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
My 70 yr old parents have this exact same dynamic. My dad plays ARMA at night and he can spend the entire day with my mom but the moment he goes down to play it bothers her.

I think it's rooted in a jealously of one partner having a hobby they really enjoy where the other does not. It's why it will never work to say , "what do you want to do instead?" Your wife is upset because you are happy playing. This likely means there are important issues you need to deal with in regards to her fulfillment. I would not try to "fix" this problem by adjusting your gaming or giving it up, it will simply manifest itself with whatever you would choose to do if you had something you liked and looked forward to doing that didn't involve your partner.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Given any thought to putting a TV either in your gaming room or your computer in a room with a TV? I've dated plenty of women who did the same thing your wife is doing if I wanted to play games though it never happened until we were either living together or spending a lot of nights together. They were never actually mad about the gaming itself, they were mad they couldn't talk to me while I was doing it. And that always meant the same thing, me sitting there watching their shitty reality television shows with them. I never gave it enough thought to try alleviating the issue because I'm a punk and would just tell them too bad, but over the years I've come to believe that just having the computer in the same room as a couch and a TV would have solved it. The same thing happens to most of my married friends who have any hobbies that keep them away from their wives during "TV time." And none of them are gamers.
Both are impossible. Can't put the PC in the living room because of the small kids, can't use the TV in my office because previously documented evidence of my office being destroyed by her.

• 1Worf

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Is she still leaving the house completely fucked up? Is she still a stay at home mom? If the answer to both of those questions is yes, then you could drop the old "This is how I deal with living in a filthy house with a lazy wife." and get exiled to the couch for a while, thus expanding your raiding time (pro-tip: Wait for new content to come out to pull this one) or just accept that you are stuck being miserable and quit gaming cold turkey to avoid future conflict. Problem is Blazin is right. She is most likely unhappy and pissed that you are not unhappy, so her fucking warped ape brain reaction is to shit on that which makes you happy. Changing out gaming for something else will just mean she will bitch about whatever gives you joy in life that she can observe you doing. She won't be "happy" until you are constantly miserable in her presence.

Oddly enough, the simple act of going to a friend's house to game (assuming she allows you to have friends) and not doing it where she can see and nag you might solve the problem. Basically, she is perceiving your happiness and subconsciously deciding to shit on it, just like Blazin said. So either accept being miserable, or nip this shit in the bud right now. You solved another problem recently by going alpha ape on her little princess butt, this situation calls for the same sort of solution.

• 1Like

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
You know I love you Noodle, but based on your posting history here, I cannot stand your wife. I wish I could give you helpful advice, but I would simply never put up with someone who is so petty about shit, so my solution to your problems is not one you're likely going to use. I can only hope my opinion is just skewed from you sharing more of the bad than the good.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users