Marriage and the Power of Divorce

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I prefer to smoke my drug, but the wife likes all types of alcohol. And she's a cheap date, doesn't take more than a couple to get her loosened up, and just a couple more to get her naked and dancing.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
I bought her a stuffed dinosaur a few months back and she's been sleeping with the darn thing since.

She even give me update how it's doing.

rrr_img_69795.jpg

Palum

what Suineg set it to
There is something about the ceremony and finality of it that forges a deeper bond of love and friendship not with just two people but sometimes with two families.
I suppose there's that. I have two weddings to attend late summer, one is my best friend and I guess I'm excited to go but his family is crazy and hers I have no idea about, but from Facebook insight they seem... odd. I'm not looking forward to that aspect at all. The other one is a good friend of mine, who is marrying his best friend's sister, both families are super awesome and I spent a lot of time at holidays, parties, his best friends' wedding, at lake houses and all that over the last 10 years. That wedding will be fantastic and mostly because 90% of the attendees I know are awesome off the bat.

For my part, almost all of my extended family is dead, my parents never had anything resembling a model marriage and my girlfriend's family is... yea. So that part doesn't motivate me at the moment.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Is he a recovering alcoholic?
Or maybe he just isnt arent wired for it? About to be 27 here and ive gotten drunk a grand total of 3, maybe 4 times. Mind altering substances just dont do it for me which is rather surprising since my father was a drink a 12 pack a night kind of guy.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
I have a big Straight Edge tattoo on my back, never planned on messing with anything mind altering, and didn't try a drink until I was 26. At 34, I find I quiet like drinking socially. /shrug, people change.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
But why get married? You can literally do everything you do while married as two single people living together. I guess I just don't understand the drive to sign a contract that really has no benefits but can really fuck you over down the road.
What possible benefit is there to being married in this day and age? There is literally zero upside(aside from "emotional" reasons) and all downsides(hello property division, alimony, child support, child custody etc.).

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
What possible benefit is there to being married in this day and age? There is literally zero upside(aside from "emotional" reasons) and all downsides(hello property division, alimony, child support, child custody etc.).
Child support and child custody are not limited to the context of marriage.

Earlier in life, marriage is just the formalization of your commitment to a matching mate for the purpose of providing stability, security and fidelity to the family unit, with the intent of raising offspring. The mutual fidelity part is important because it means that the resources of the parents will not be diluted by raising offspring with genes of a third party.

That's the basic idea as I see it, at least.

Later in life, I don't see the purpose. I have told my wife that if we were to ever divorce, that would just about do it for me as for as marriage goes. Why do it again in middle age? Status maybe? Lock down a trophy wife who already has met her need to pop out a couple of kids? Habit? Comfort? Fuck if I know, but I really could not see entering intoa second marriage.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It can be beneficial if you find someone who's willing/able to be a good mother andyoureally want to raise kids/have a family. I think a lot of guys end up getting roped into marriage and kids through the desires of their woman though.

iannis

Musty Nester
Getting married, in every day and age, has always been about family. It's the theme that runs through marriage regardless of culture, era, or age. Now we might think that certain customs are completely fucked up and exist to undermine family unity -- but the folks that do/did participate in those traditions disagree. That's why the female strategy of "just waiting until he finally realizes that he needs to ask me to marry him" is not the worst one out there.

So if you ignore that family aspect what benefit could there possibly be? I mean it's kinda like saying, "Well... if you ignore the good parts of (X) then all that's left is bad stuff!"

Well... yeah.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Straight edge tattoos crack me up too. "Yeah I won't have a beer on a night out but I will let someone inject ink into my skin!"

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
So if you ignore that family aspect what benefit could there possibly be? I mean it's kinda like saying, "Well... if you ignore the good parts of (X) then all that's left is bad stuff!"

Well... yeah.
Bingo. From a purely financial standpoint there is no benefit to men, but who gets married for financial reasons?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Bingo. From a purely financial standpoint there is no benefit to men, but who gets married for financial reasons?
It'd be more correct to say, 'From a purely financial standpoint, if someone is financially well off marrying someone who is not financially well off has no financial benefit.'. In which case I think most people would say no shit.

My sister is an architect and one of my female friends is a medical doctor. Their husbands have huge financial benefits to being married.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
My wife was pregnant when we got married and didn't have insurance. From a financial standpoint, we would have been buried without getting married and getting her on my insurance. This is pre-Obamacare, though, and her pregnancy would have been a pre-existing condition. And she was hospitalized during the pregnancy. I know the delivery alone would have been almost 20k, not to mention all the other shit.