Marriage and the Power of Divorce

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Contracts don't mean shit for child support either and prenuptial agreements are ineffective. The family court will render child support in the best interests of the child, your agreements mean shit.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
This shit is so depressing to read. It's a lose-lose situation no matter what. You can't even attempt to cover your bases.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
First, it doesn't matter what sort or agreement you had, she takes you to court and your support will be decided by their own set of guidelines and in most cases, she can tag you for back child support. All that money you paid her that wasn't through the system? Doesn't matter and it's not counted. I told you this month's ago and was told "No bro, we're cool" and like I said then, you're never cool.

Payments don't change depending on the child's age however they can go up due to cost of living, which happens almost every year.

You guys can get an agreement where she will only demand 50% of the max and at anytime she can go back and go for max. The difference here is though she can't soak you for back child support because it was agreed upon in family Court.

FYI, whoever has the kids 51% of the time is who receives the support money.

You're screwed bro, much like I said you would be months ago. This headache and worry could have been solved months ago.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Write on a piece of paper: "Black Jack, no trade back." and get that notarized as well. That should protect you.

IANAL

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Post 998, 999 and 1081, from Onoes:

Damn this is confusing.

I've been working on this for around 5 hours, and I'm still a little lost. I've got all the initial paperwork filled out at this point, or as filled out as I can get it (Every page asks for my case number... which I don't have, because I haven't filed yet. Also, every page asks for her address, which she doesn't have, because she hasn't moved out yet. She took tomorrow off work and is going to be out searching with her mom all day, so hopefully she will be moving towards her own place asap.)

If I'm understanding this correctly, I take all 12 multiple page forms, make a copy for me, a copy for her, and then give the court the originals. At that point I have to serve her. She needs to sign an acknowledgement form in front of a notary and submit that to the court, basically saying she knows what is going on.

Here's where it gets confusing.

She has 20 days to contest it, which she currently has no interest in doing. If she doesn't contest it, I can fill out some more papers to basically run the show without her having the ability to participate in the case from that point on, but I can't see anywhere for her to file an "I agree to the terms" kind of thing, which I would think would be an option?

I also don't see where I'm supposed to attach childcare plans and all the extra stuff, like day care and health insurance. I don't know if I'm just supposed to type stuff up in word and attach it with the initial papers or what. There is also some mention of us going to a co parenting class and receiving our certificates before the case can proceed.

I think what I'm saying is... as much as I was hoping to not even go to a lawyer about any of this for fear it would panic her and cause a ton of issues... I'm now thinking I'm going to have to just to make sure I don't fuck any aspect of this up.

So, you guys kind of win! Plus, I'm pretty sure I can explain to her why I need to go to a lawyer without worrying her. I guess we will talk about it tomorrow. Thanks for all the help/advice by the way, and sorry to all the guys who have said that you are in the same situation.. I know it's not any fun. It's lonely when you are all alone jerking off because you haven't connected with anyone in forever, but it sure seems worse to me to be in the same situation when you are laying right next to someone who claims to love you, but who hasn't reciprocated anything in months.

Anyway, thanks again dudes. When this is all over I'm expecting to get active in the home improvement thread! Who needs a guest room when you could have an indoor hottub or something insane right?!
Ohh I forgot, unless I'm doing this wrong, and I don't think I am, I'm going to be paying fuck all in child support. I need to verify my salary with work in the morning, and verify her's, but its looking like the total per month is going to be about $265. I will have to pay half of day care as well ($720 total, so $360), and probably another $150ish for health and dental insurance on the kids.

So, a total of $775 a month for the next few years while the kids need day care, and a whopping $400 past that is all I will be out. And she still has to pay half of Day care and health insurance, which will be $510 for her. So she will basically see no money from me, but her bills will only be $245 +living expenses.

I'll be honest, part of me is really relived that it doesn't look like I'll be fucked at all, but part of me feels really bad for her. After she pays all her bills in a month she is probably going to be left with $300-400 extra for whatever she needs, saving, etc.

I think I'm going to have like... $1500 extra per month after I pay bills. It's seeming very likely to me that my quality of living/disposable income is actually going to go up after all this.
I'm not sure. Honestly, the first few years of the relationship I was annoyed at how much she wanted to screw. Multiple times a day, every day, for years. It's not as fun as it sounds. It gradually slowed down, but we were still regular, a few times a week, up to the birth of my first son. When she got pregnant with the second, she was so sick and miserable the whole time we just totally stopped. After he was born.. it just never started back up. I made a thousand efforts, and I don't think I'm far off saying there were hundreds of times I was confident it was happening, only to get to bed and have her say "is it alright if we just cuddle tonight?". Eventually I mostly stopped going to bed with her, I would go tuck her in, lay with her for 10 minutes or so, give her a kiss, and go sit on the computer. And for the most part, thats what our relationship has been the last year or so.

So yeah, it wasn't really an overnight thing, it just kind of happened.

On another note, I'm filing the divorce paperwork tomorrow. We got married on a Friday the 13th, so it's kind of fitting. We are still very co-operative, and fine with each other. We went to my sons daycare concert last night together, then went to dinner, and went to bed together. I got home today and she proposed something very risky for herself. The child support is supposed to be $247 according to the courts calculator, and so the plan was that I would just pay $250 until my first son was 18, and $125 for the second. Well, she was looking at health insurance, and a couple of things today, and everything wants her income + child support income, and unfortunately, with the $3k increase, she is actually pushed into a higher bracket, where things cost more/are unavailable. For example, she was looking at some really nice apartments, but it turns out that they have a max income clause, due to benefits they receive for housing people with lower incomes. With child support she makes too much, without it, she's in. So, her question was, could we file with no child support requested, and in exchange, I pay $250 worth of kids expenses per month. So yeah. To some degree it's gaming the system I'm sure, but on the other hand, it's super risky for her, because as far as the courts were concerned, I would owe nothing, and there would be nothing but my word to her causing me to pay. Also, it's way nicer than any place she has looked at, and right in the center of town.

So yeah, I know everyones' worried about her screwing me, but seriously, we are still just functioning like really good friends. Knock on wood, but I'm really optimistic.
(spoilered for length)

It looks to me like he went through the court process. There is hope after all, unless I'm misreading.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Pay to get in, and pray/pay to get out. Why do dudes get married again? Color me cynical-- tainted by three childhood divorces and this heartwarming cautionary-tale of a thread, but I just don't see the ROI when there's a 50% chance your wife will take your kids and fuck your life. The poor slob a few offices down from me just got divorced-- pays $2500/month in child support for his two kids, has to live in butt-fuck super suburbia because that's where his ex lives and he needs to be able to see his kids, and is now going back to court because his kids are being dressed in WalMart clothes while his wife blows the support cash on Prada purses. Supposedly there is no legal requirement whatsoever that the ex-wife account for how the child support is spent.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Pay to get in, and pray/pay to get out. Why do dudes get married again? Color me cynical-- tainted by three childhood divorces and this heartwarming cautionary-tale of a thread, but I just don't see the ROI when there's a 50% chance your wife will take your kids and fuck your life.
rrr_img_76873.jpg

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I am hoping that Onoes' situation is really nothing and his wife was just making a passing remark and he misinterpreted it or something. If not, man, I am sorry bro but you're about to ride the pain train. Start saving up cash or something.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I assume child support amounts change depending on the age of the kids too? For example a 6 month old is going to require way less money to take care of than a 12 year old. Does the amount you pay change over time or do you need to go back to court to change it?
Age has zero to do with it, it all has to do with income of both parents as well if there are any other kids.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Post 998, 999 and 1081, from Onoes:

(spoilered for length)

It looks to me like he went through the court process. There is hope after all, unless I'm misreading.
Did you read your third quote? They went to Court and got a divorce, but they did some sort of handshake under the table deal on the support payments. Doesn't sound to me like any child support agreement was officially entered into in the eyes of the law.

I got home today and she proposed something very risky for herself. The child support is supposed to be $247 according to the courts calculator, and so the plan was that I would just pay $250 until my first son was 18, and $125 for the second. Well, she was looking at health insurance, and a couple of things today, and everything wants her income + child support income, and unfortunately, with the $3k increase, she is actually pushed into a higher bracket, where things cost more/are unavailable. For example, she was looking at some really nice apartments, but it turns out that they have a max income clause, due to benefits they receive for housing people with lower incomes. With child support she makes too much, without it, she's in. So, her question was, could we file with no child support requested, and in exchange, I pay $250 worth of kids expenses per month. So yeah. To some degree it's gaming the system I'm sure, but on the other hand,it's super risky for her, because as far as the courts were concerned, I would owe nothing, and there would be nothing but my word to her causing me to pay.Also, it's way nicer than any place she has looked at, and right in the center of town.

So yeah, I know everyones' worried about her screwing me, but seriously, we are still just functioning like really good friends. Knock on wood, but I'm really optimistic.
Uh, right, that bolded part? He thought that no support claim in the initial settlement meant there was nothing forcing him to pay. But there's also nothing specifiying that's he's paying what he should or that he's even paying anything at all on the record. And she can probably go back and request it now.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Did you read your third quote? They went to Court and got a divorce, but they did some sort of handshake under the table deal on the support payments. Doesn't sound to me like any child support agreement was officially entered into in the eyes of the law.

Uh, right, that bolded part? He thought that no support claim in the initial settlement meant there was nothing forcing him to pay. But there's also nothing specifiying that's he's paying what he should or that he's even paying anything at all on the record. And she can probably go back and request it now.
He could proactivly apply for full custody and child support from her. THat would of course mean he has some evidence of her being an inadequate parent. Sure its a little heavy but so is the world we live in.

Either that or start hiding money bro!

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
Anecdotal here, but going back to court is pretty risky for both parties honestly.

My folks split because my mom found out dad was cheating (he later married this woman)...it nearly killed her. My dad's a pretty damn good lawyer and actually came out ahead.

When things started going south at my dads (drama with the new wife, and how she was treating us), my mom took him back to court and ended up losing, bad. He ended up getting more time, and paying a lot less.

Basically, if she isnt careful, she could get fucked here, but still probably a good idea to talk to a lawyer and have a "what if" session with him. Or maybe my dad is just that good at what he does. Best of luck to you dude
frown.png

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
sorry I'm out of town right now, and I've been drinking most of the night, wine with friends, and I'm typing this on my cell phone. So cut me some slack for the probably shitty text response here.

okay so yeah, the agreement that we had, what's on the books with the court and everything, is that we both split the children's school expenses, and that I cover all other expenses. She waved her right to any child support, and she's responsible for providing health insurance to the kids. So that was our agreement on the books. in actuality, the kids have no health insurance, I've just paid for any and all trips to doctors. I have been splitting school cost, actually I've been paying slightly more than her. In addition, I have been depositing money into her account every month for child support, 250dollars, when we filled out the child support payment spreadsheet it said I should pay 247, so even though I'm not mandated to pay anything, I've been paying slightly more than what I technically should be. We both have the kids exactly 50% of the time, and in all actuality, I probably have them slightly more.the reason I'm paying her off the books, it's because if I pay her child support, she have to claim it on her taxes. This way, she doesn't have to do that. Now I'm not completely dumb, I haven't been giving her cash or anything, I've been transferring the money into her account with a note saying something like, child support September 2014. so if she does try to take me back to court for child support, I can prove that I've been paying her all along. I can also prove that she hasn't paid for any of the Children's Medical expenses. So I'm pretty sure I have a leg up in that aspect. The whole reason for this setup, was because she was saying she was going to try to go to school, as well as trying to find housing based on her lower income.

so yeah, I really think that if she tried to take me back to court, she would be royally fucked for trying to get around all these governmental restrictions. I mean I could be wrong, but the whole reason I did it this way was to help her potentially get into some government programs. I can always deny that I had any knowledgethat that's what she was doing, and say that I thought we just had an agreement that seems fair.

again, I'm currently drunk off of a couple of bottle of wine, and I'm dictating all of this to my phone, so I'm pretty sure it's fucking terrible, grammar wise Exedra.

but hopefully I answer whatever questions people had?

all in all, I'm not too concerned, she doesn't have money to hire a lawyer or anything, she still working her full time job at 13.00 hour or whatever, and when I have the kids she's doing a couple of other jobs on the side at night. She functioning ok, she just doesn't have a lot of excess cash. I'm pretty sure its driving her crazy seeing me going on trips every couple months, always going out of town and stuff. I don't know. anyway, like I said, I don't think she's going to be taking me back to court or anything. I think her thought line was but maybe if she told me, but I would just offer to give her more money or something. That's not going to happen, in fact she owes me like 500$ for paying off your credit card a couple months ago. So yeah, I'm probably rambling at this point I don't even know. Having a great time in Prescott Arizona with super awesome friends, who went to bed, leaving me to talk to you guys!

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Pay to get in, and pray/pay to get out. Why do dudes get married again? Color me cynical-- tainted by three childhood divorces and this heartwarming cautionary-tale of a thread, but I just don't see the ROI when there's a 50% chance your wife will take your kids and fuck your life. The poor slob a few offices down from me just got divorced-- pays $2500/month in child support for his two kids, has to live in butt-fuck super suburbia because that's where his ex lives and he needs to be able to see his kids, and is now going back to court because his kids are being dressed in WalMart clothes while his wife blows the support cash on Prada purses. Supposedly there is no legal requirement whatsoever that the ex-wife account for how the child support is spent.
There simply isnt in this day and age.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider

There IS something specifying he's paying what he should (which is nothing, officially): the LEGAL AGREEMENT that says no support is needed due to equal custody and their current income situation. Which the court approved.

She could say there's been a change to the situation and now she needs support going forward. But unless she is going to argue coercion or some other mitigating condition, then she's SOL to this point. The previous agreement can't be invalidated because feels. There would have to be a legal reason it is invalid and request back support.

EDIT: whoops, I see Onoes already covered this.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
You don't get anything for child support come tax time and even though she waived her right to child support, she can still go back at any time and file for it, and get it. This is what you need to understand.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
You don't get anything for child support come tax time and even though she waived her right to child support, she can still go back at any time and file for it, and get it. This is what you need to understand.
Assuming they calculated support properly, she goes back, demands support and.... officially gets the ~$250/month that he's already paying her? OH THE HUMANITY!