Marriage and the Power of Divorce

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Serious? How about: poorly fit, cheap material... "dad jeans". I suck at clothes and I can recognize the difference between shit jeans, decent jeans, and "damn that guy looks good" jeans. If you think this statement is douchey, you probably suck at clothes too but instead of looking at it as an avenue to improve in you just write it all off and assume its irrelevant.

Hint: many cool women really do respect and appreciate a man who can find his way into a nicer clothes, jeans included.
This makes me weep, cause I wear Express jeans (not the finest jeans but it aint the fucking GAP or Old Navy, etc.) and my quads have exploded over the past few months and my waist has shrunk to the point that a 32 fits correct in the butt and waist area, but my quads don't fit. A 34 fits my quads pretty snug but decent enough, but the 34 waist makes it look like I have a shit in my pants. And don't even bother with a god damn 36.

I need to tailor my jeans. Do we have a tailoring thread? LF 500/500 Tailor PST.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Generally people with bulky legs size their jeans for the thighs then take the jeans to a tailor to take in the waist. Generally costs around $15-20. I probably wouldn't do it for really expensive denim but it'll work for mall brand jeans.

Also Express jeans are no better than Old Navy. GAP is actually probably better depending on the model. You can get fairly inexpensive GAP jeans made from Japanese selvage. Obviously not made in Japan but it is out of Japanese fabric.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Itlan, same issue here. I'm holding off for another month while I cut but having some serious issue with leg size. The huge majority of pants are not made for a man that picks heavy things up. I'll probably take measurements then PM Tenks for his wise denim advice.

It's somewhat ironic; I remember a decade ago when I was 18... 6'1 165lbs and struggled to find pants that fit due to having practically zero muscle.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Aren't you the guy who let his wife take care of the stripper/ex-con shakedown over a used car? I can't imagine why you would want to wear a costume all the time??????
If by "let" you mean "her and her sister went and made the exchange without my knowledge while I was at work" then yeah, that was me. She had suggested it, and I was firmly against the idea. When she went, the stripper showed up in a car full of guys. I highly suspect I would have been killed, or at least spent time in a hospital, if I had been there, which is why I was against it. My ex-wife called the lady and told her she was a friend of mine who heard about it and wanted to help me out. So yeah, that happened, but I didn't orchestrate it.

Onoes seems like the obnoxious person who never shuts the fuck up that I try to avoid at all costs.
You on the other hand seem like a treasure, and no doubt a joy to be around.

Not to get ultra personal here, but almost every story you write begins with "I went out for a drink".

How often do you drink?
One to two nights a week. Typically I go out Saturday night, but every other week I don't have my kids on Thursday, so sometimes I go out that night as well. As far as every story starting that way... yeah? I mean... I really don't even know how else it would start? Where else do you go to meet new people? Friday nights I play D&D with a group of friends, no stories of any interest to this forum come from that. Sunday's I typically host Board games at my house, again, it's pretty much always the same pool of people coming to those. Probably once a month I take a trip out of town to either Prescott, Phoenix, of San Diego to visit friends. Mon-Thursday I get back to town from work about 7pm, and usually I'm either taking care of my children, or handling the stuff I need to get done during the week (laundry, cleaning, shopping, etc.)

So yeah, pretty much all of my stories that involve meeting people or sex are going to start with "I went to some location where there was alcohol".

Guy in early 30s (?), drinks all the time, insists ridiculously flamboyant hair-cut is necessary.

You're exactly like the guy that wears nothing but wolf t-shirts and insists its "his thing". The dumbass horns haircut is your reluctance to integrate into actual well-dressed and groomed society, because then people will actually judge you against other attractive men and you'll actually lose and have to get better at it. Right now you're a non-compete.

If I wore nothing but mustard-stained wife-beaters, no one would expect too much of me either.
I'm 35 now, don't drink that much, and I just think my haircut is fun/attracts attention. I've been a member of well dressed society for the last 10 years, didn't much care for it. And yes, you're right on the "If I looked like everyone else I would have to compete on that level" thing, I agree, and I'm not much interested in competing with yoga guy, or throws all his money around guy, or even just good looking guy. I'm fine being different guy, as I've said before, I typically have no problem dealing with people once conversation has been initiated, I'm charming and likeable (outside of this forum apparently), my issue is that initial contact. When I'm just another face in the crowd, competing against other people, I lose confidence, and I'm sure that shows, and then I get depressed about it. When I'm in costume as it were, I walk in like I own the place, I know I look ridiculous, and maybe that's part of the appeal for me. I don't know, I just know that I feel good about it, I have fun, and I'm happy.

Also your analogy is bad. Mustard stained wifebeater's and people not expecting much of you? A better analogy would have been "If I wore an elaborate costume everywhere I went people would talk to me too, doesn't mean I'm worth talking to" or something along those lines. Assuming you were trying to be accurate and insulting. I don't belive I look like shit and give people the impression I just rolled out of bed like your analogy would suggest.

When I see a chick at a bar who is all dolled up and wearing some skimpy dress, all systems in my body are in full agreement and I think of how awesome it would be to bang her. The next thought I have is " she would probably be an absolute nightmare to date." On the other hand, when I see an attractive girl but one with less makeup and not wearing a dress that is pushes all my evolutionary buttons, she doesn't draw my attention as quickly, but when I consider her I think she might have potential.

I'm not interested in the dolled up girl (to be clear, she isn't in me either, but that's not the point) because if she needs all that attention from strangers at a bar, she's probably either narcissistic or incredibly shallow.

You are the dolled up girl. YES you clearly get more attention and have more fun. So does the dolled up girl. But she's also dating bros or dudes with tons of money who will eventually cheat on her with a younger version of herself because she has publicly tied her worth to her looks. I feel sorry for those girls because they're doomed. It's the grounded girl who stands out less that has a far better chance of creating a meaningful relationship.

You've been told this explanation 100 different ways. Your claim that you mey crazier girls without the horns is either bullshit, a consequemce of the fact that you were probably crazier yourself, mentally, that close to your divorce, or random
Now that's a spot on analogy! And while I'm sure there are woman who would be a delight to date, who have taken one look at me and thought "Not dating material", there have also been lots who have approached me. The biggest thing I hear is besides "is that really your hair? How long does that take? What do you use?" is "You're not at all how I was expecting you to be." Stuff along those lines. In a positive way. I'm very personable. I've basically made my entire career not knowing what I'm doing, but just by being the guy that everyone likes all the time.

So, while your analogy is fundamentally true, the amount of people I convert to "Ohh what a cool guy." once we meet, is so much higher than the amount of people who ever give me a chance outside of pretty girl costume. So, it stays a win-win for me.

Onoes, I think you might be gay.

I'm not even trolling. Think about it.
Never been at all interested in men, no. I don't even have all that many male friends, as I tend not to have much in common with them, and so they end up not having much to offer me in terms of "why would I rather be hanging out with you vs anything else right now?".

That being said, I'm definitely not manly in any way shape or form. I don't like or understand sports, I'm not into cars, I don't even know what guys are into past that, hunting maybe? My male friends are dudes who want to go to comiccon. Basically, if you aren't into nerdy shit, I have very little to talk to you about, and I don't want to have sex with you, so I probably don't hang out with you. I rarely have much of anything in common with women either, but I do want to have sex with them, and so can be perfectly entertained listening to her talk about horses or whatever for 4 hours.

So yeah, while I'm not a macho guy by any imagination, I think the fact that I have almost no desire to spend time with men, and a stupid overwhelming desire to spend time with woman, pretty much rules me out of the gay club. Sorry Itlan, but you'll find the guy for you, it's just not me. <3 XOXO

It's really kind of sad how much the attention of others matters to you Onoes.
Yeah? I guess. It's not an intentional choice, its just how I am. I tend not to focus on the sad aspects, I'm a glass half full kind of guy, I choose to be happy about how great all that attention feels vs. the depressing feeling of not having it. But fair point. We all have our issue's.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
It's really kind of sad how much the attention of others matters to you Onoes.
This was my takeaway as well. Assuming you (Onoes) are going out with friends (which I believe you are), why does it matter that you connect with a ton of people every time? Isn't connecting with your friends enough? For the vast majority of people, it isn't important to have constant attention from strangers when you go out, especially if you're already out with people you know and with whom you're already interacting.

This excerpt

I know you are all very excited to have me cut the horns off and... I don't know? Not have stories because I stop going out and meeting people because I'm constantly upset by the failed attempts to connect with another human being? In the first 6 months after my wife left, before I had the hair, how many times did I go out hoping to meet people? I'd wager, somewhere near 50-60 times. Never made a connection with anyone.
definitely makes it sound like you're seriously lacking in the confidence/personality department and using your unique hairstyle as a social crutch to meet people. It might work short term, but for the long term I think you'd be better off losing the horns and focusing on fixing whatever confidence/personality issues 1) make it difficult for you to meet and interact with new people; 2) cause you to become frustrated when you don't get that interaction with new people.

*Edit* Onoes posted while I was writing my response. You added this:

When I'm just another face in the crowd, competing against other people, I lose confidence, and I'm sure that shows, and then I get depressed about it.
Which just seems to confirm what I said about using the horns as a crutch (which, admittedly, you acknowledge). However, it seems way healthier to focus on fixing your confidence and depression issues rather than avoiding them by using your uniqueness of appearance.

Tenks

I can only speak for myself personally and not for Onoes but when I struggled with self confidence I dressed far, far flashier than I do now. I wore far brighter colors and unique stuff just to stand out. I look back and cringe these days.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Onoes,

I'm sure you're a fun and personable guy -- I wouldn't mind knocking back a beer with you. To be honest, I haven't seen you actually discuss your goals in this thread. If you're just trying to get easy pussy then, yea whatever... you and I have such divergent goals that I can't comment whatsoever. I'm just doubtful that I could ever actually pull women that I'd be proud of either sleeping with or dating if I was rocking a hair-cut that would have been ridiculous in high-school.

If I were 35 and dating, I would be trying to emulate this guy:
rrr_img_88048.jpg

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, I do kind of picture you like Steve Carrell in that pic.

Tenks

"If you want to meet women be impossibly good looking and follow Hollywood standards of how to attract and maintain and impossibly high standard of relationship"

Good advice. If you look towards fiction for advice about relationships you're only going to be left disappointed.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, I do kind of picture you like Steve Carrell in that pic.
I'm turning 30 in a few months. If I were to magically end up single, I'm sure I'd spend some time in that "stage" of "learning how to date in the 30s". Whatevs. And yea, Tenks, if you're an ugly little manlet then just hide away in a basement somewhere and don't strive for self-improvement.

Jk, look... I said "attempt to emulate". Dress well, groom oneself well, be in excellent shape. I didn't say "be Ryan Gosling". If you ever look at yourself in the mirror and say ("Good enough") then you're either too overworked elsewhere or you're now on the downward spiral to complacency.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
As an addendum, I'm pretty sure that a year spent EFFICIENTLY in the gym and a session or two with some type of fashion consultant would elevate most "normal men" to movie-star level of attractiveness. I live in fucking GA and I'm pretty sure that I could hire someone to take me through a couple stores and show me how to dress like a real man easily enough.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
I was debating coming down next weekend actually. I'll let you know.

Still need to go visit StupidMonkey in Phoenix, I didn't forget man, just haven't made a trip up there in forever!