Marriage and the Power of Divorce

Khane

Got something right about marriage
From a practical standpoint he is right. When you are intertwining the possible feelings of multiple parties the communication has to be excellent and above board to avoid misunderstandings, hurt feelings, and the like. If your "main" partner brings home someone as an option you don't like you need to be able to tell them in a fashion that makes it clear you aren't for integrating them in to your triangle, square, whatever. Otherwise resentment and worse starts building as you passively allow the situation to grow. I'd assume acceptance would be important as well, but communication would seem to be key. I mean it's number one in a monogamous relationship. I would imagine it would be only more important when you have multiple people's emotions involved.
This seems logical but in practice it isn't. Communication when it involves almost nothing but "I don't approve" is not communication. Which is why I emphasized acceptance over communication. Trust me, communicating "I don't agree with you" over and over again doesn't get you anywhere.

This seems logical but in practice it isn't. Communication when it involves almost nothing but "I don't approve" is not communication. Which is why I emphasized acceptance over communication. Trust me, communicating "I don't agree with you" over and over again doesn't get you anywhere.
well, I'm posting from my kindle so was trying to be short and succinct. The example was probably simplistic though. I mean the ability to be able to get across your feelings and issues with your partner in a concise and fair way would be paramount in an open relationship. Just too many avenues for misunderstandings and escalation if you can't adequately get your point across when multiple people are involved. But yes I think acceptance is the first hurdle to overcome in regards to having an open relationship of any type.

Khane

well, I'm posting from my kindle so was trying to be short and succinct. The example was probably simplistic though. I mean the ability to be able to get across your feelings and issues with your partner in a concise and fair way would be paramount in an open relationship. Just too many avenues for misunderstandings and escalation if you can't adequately get your point across when multiple people are involved. But yes I think acceptance is the first hurdle to overcome in regards to having an open relationship of any type.
Again, that's acceptance. Not "communication". You can "communicate" until you're blue in the face. If your partner doesn't accept your point of view it's a moot point.

I know plenty of couples that scream at each other. They have no problem "communicating" their views and beliefs. But they don't agree or accept their partner's views or beliefs. Anyone who tells you "communication is the key" is a blow hard with no clue about what drives human relationships.

The Master

Bronze Squire
Communication is how let your partner know that you are accepting of certain things (and not of others). You cannot have acceptance without communication. You cannot have emotional intimacy without communication. You cannot really understand what is going on with yourself or with the other person without communication. Communication isn't more or less important than anything else for an open relationship (or any relationship), it is a component so basic that without it there is nothing. You have to understand what it is you are accepting before you accept it, which involves communication. Or you run into situations like the guy who thought his wife would "settle down." Did she communicate that? Doubtful, he assumed it and "accepted" it without communication as to the reality and now his unhappy. If you aren't communicating, nothing else matters, and if you are communicating, either everything can be worked out, or you can come to an understanding that it isn't ever going to work. A lot of relationships where people are unhappy fall into the latter category but people don't know that because they didn't, or don't know how to, communicate. So if I seem like I constantly harp on the importance of communication, there is a good reason, I think it is essential to everything else even being a reality.

EDIT: Yelling is not communication. If you think that is what I am talking about then I can understand your confusion.

Khane

Communication is how let your partner know that you are accepting of certain things (and not of others). You cannot have acceptance without communication. You cannot have emotional intimacy without communication. You cannot really understand what is going on with yourself or with the other person without communication. Communication isn't more or less important than anything else for an open relationship (or any relationship), it is a component so basic that without it there is nothing. You have to understand what it is you are accepting before you accept it, which involves communication. Or you run into situations like the guy who thought his wife would "settle down." Did she communicate that? Doubtful, he assumed it and "accepted" it without communication as to the reality and now his unhappy. If you aren't communicating, nothing else matters, and if you are communicating, either everything can be worked out, or you can come to an understanding that it isn't ever going to work. A lot of relationships where people are unhappy fall into the latter category but people don't know that because they didn't, or don't know how to, communicate. So if I seem like I constantly harp on the importance of communication, there is a good reason, I think it is essential to everything else even being a reality.
You are more full of shit than Ayn fucking Rand.

You are literally saying "If you don't talk, nothing can be said".

Thanks Columbo.

Khane

I don't get what he is saying that is so controversial.
He isn't saying anything controversial. He's saying nothing of substance. He's regurgitating sentence after sentence of words that mean nothing.

His entire quoted diatribe is akin to saying "The color green is green because that's what everyone says is green"

Khane

That would be because Khane isn't communicating his objection very well, ironically. Though I understand what he is saying, unfortunately the reverse isn't true. Ah well.
I'm communicating my objection in perfect iambic pentameter. You aren't nearly as smart as you like to pretend. Go dance it off.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I don't agree with The Master on much with regards to his lifestyle (that's probably not the right wording, I just know I myself wouldn't be able to live it.) but he's right here. Communication is key in all aspects of relationships, open relations aren't any different and would in my opinion, require even more than usual.

Also Khane, chill with the hostilities please. Thank you.

Khane

Eh I can't help it. I'm not actually being hostile, I'm just from Long Island.I don't agree with The Master and I think "communication" as the key to relationships is a bullshit copout that doesn't actually mean anything. Honestly, do any of you who have been divorced or had failed relatinships think "communication" was the problem? Most people communicate. They just don't see eye to eye. No amount of communication can fix that.

Well obviously the reason may have been they cheated, lied, whatever. But why did they do those things? Sure some can be the result of just natural changes as they age and to what they want. But if the issue is a conflict in your relationship and you can't talk to your partner about it then how can it be resolved? Sure just because you can communicate the issues doesn't mean the situation will be fixed, but it has a much better chance if you actually can communicate with your partner. If you can't then things just fester until they become insurmountable and it's relationship over. This is why most people, in my opinion, value communication as being of utmost importance in a relationship. You can't even have acceptance of a person's thoughts or feelings if you don't even know what they are.

In ameraves situation in which his wife won't talk things out or express her issues to him it leads to his current situation. Sure if she had sad something a couple years ago about having issues with their relationship he wouldn't have liked it and they may have split up then. However he most likely would have been much less hurt if the texts and breaches of trust didn't happen because they figured things out earlier. Or they may have still been together and in a better place then they are now because they got her issues sorted out once they had been broached.

Khane

You're proving my point.

If you can accept each other's point of view it will work, if you can't then it won't.

It's about acceptance, not communication.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Fucking Long Island pricks. I happen to disagree with you slightly though, Khane. Communication has helped my marriage survive some VERY rough spots. We might not agree, but we're open to the others ideas for the most part.

Edit: We all pull from our personal experiences when discussing things like this, and I can see your point, Khane. And I think acceptance is very important, but you can't dismiss communication, because most of the time that's how you arrive at acceptance.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Eh I can't help it. I'm not actually being hostile, I'm just from Long Island.I don't agree with The Master and I think "communication" as the key to relationships is a bullshit copout that doesn't actually mean anything. Honestly, do any of you who have been divorced or had failed relatinships think "communication" was the problem? Most people communicate. They just don't see eye to eye. No amount of communication can fix that.
LoL, that's the best excuse I've heard I think so I'll allow it.
tongue.png

And people see eye to eye about things through communication or learn to accept things through communication. Everything stems from it. I mean say you want an open relationship. Do you just go out and fuck some people without first talking and communicating with your partner about it?

Saying "no amount of communication can't fix not seeing eye to eye" on something seems more of a cop out to me. Most people do communicate yes, but not everyone.

Khane

Fucking Long Island pricks. I happen to disagree with you slightly though, Khane. Communication has helped my marriage survive some VERY rough spots. We might not agree, but we're open to the others ideas for the most part.

Edit: We all pull from our personal experiences when discussing things like this, and I can see your point, Khane. And I think acceptance is very important, but you can't dismiss communication, because most of the time that's how you arrive at acceptance.
So you agree, acceptance is the key.

What most of you seem to be missing is everyone communicates. Literally everyone. 5 year olds communicate. Information is always being relayed.

Some of us have just never grown up and still stick our fingers in our ears and scream "lalalala I can't hear you" or "I'm fucking smarter than you, retard, go to hell".

Communication doesn't mean shit if the other person isn't listening.

Khane

Then it isn't communication.

Both sides listening style communication is what makes relationships work.
That's called acceptance. Which is my point.

You can communicate with your enemies. You can SOEmote your fucking enemies. You can pretend you're gonna let your enemies have this week's Vex Thal. It doesn't mean shit.

So you agree, acceptance is the key.

What most of you seem to be missing is everyone communicates. Literally everyone. 5 year olds communicate. Information is always being relayed.

Some of us have just never grown up and still stick our fingers in our ears and scream "lalalala I can't hear you" or "I'm fucking smarter than you, retard, go to hell".

Communication doesn't mean shit if the other person isn't listening.
Sure if you are reducing communication to its most basic idea, then yes it means nothing. I think in the context of relationships communication just isn't about information transfer. It also encompasses how you handle said information, whether you are open to it or not, and many other things. It just isn't simply talking or yelling.

Khane

Sure if you are reducing communication to its most basic idea, then yes it means nothing. I think in the context of relationships communication just isn't about information transfer. It also encompasses how you handle said information, whether you are open to it or not, and many other things. It just isn't simply talking or yelling.
AKA, acceptance.

Jesus christ why are you people arguing with me and against me at the same time? Do you even realize that's what going on?