Marriage and the Power of Divorce

Being fat is no fun. Was just above three hundred pounds a little over two years ago. Currently at two hundred and five. Now I'm 6'2 and still don't think I look super thin at this weight. Not sure how a 5'9 guy at 200 plus lbs doesn't Look a bit flabby unless they are a lot of muscle.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Sure, so why don't you be concerned with your own health and stop worry about everyone else's?
For the same reason there are so many anti-smoking campaigns. It indirectly effects me via costs but also having a healthy and productive country is better than a lazy, obese, gluttonous country.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I think it has more to do with a desire to feel superior than any genuine concern about the nation's productivity (lol). And as I said above, from a purely economic standpoint, the ideal situation is for people to die immediately after retirement and as such people who are healthy are a much bigger drain on the system than those who are not. I'm not saying that I want anyone (including myself) to be unhealthy, just that the "this affects me!" argument is bullshit.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I think it has more to do with a desire to feel superior than any genuine concern about the nation's productivity (lol). And as I said above, from a purely economic standpoint, the ideal situation is for people to die immediately after retirement and as such people who are healthy are a much bigger drain on the system than those who are not. I'm not saying that I want anyone (including myself) to be unhealthy, just that the "this affects me!" argument is bullshit.
You can go to almost any internet forum and or twitter and see overweight people constantly going to the doctor with mythical diseases and when the doctor tells them "lose weight" they take to the social media sphere saying they're getting fat-shamed by their doctor and he won't give them a true diagnosis. Tell me it doesn't matter to me. Tell me these fat asses aren't clogging up the medical works by constantly going to the doctor with their WebMD diagnosis of rare diseases when if they just lost 40 pounds their problems would go away.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Here's the first result from google.

Smokers and the obese cheaper to care for, study shows - The New York Times

It's obvious if you've ever watched someone get old. My grandmother is 90 and she is in and out of the hospital constantly despite having no diabetes/heart related issues. She costs more in health care on a monthly basis than I have in the last 10 years.
Study was done in a country with a different healthcare system and utilized data from 03 and was published in 08.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Here's the first result from google.

Smokers and the obese cheaper to care for, study shows - The New York Times

It's obvious if you've ever watched someone get old. My grandmother is 90 and she is in and out of the hospital constantly despite having no diabetes/heart related issues. She costs more in health care on a monthly basis than I have in the last 10 years.
The study, paid for by the Dutch Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sports, did not take into account other potential costs of obesity and smoking, such as lost economic productivity or social costs.
Also, thats not in America. Netherlands don't have the same level of fatties we do, nor the same health care costs.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I think there could probably be a case made for what Brutul is saying though not for the reasons he is presenting.

Because of our privatized healthcare system and the business involved behind said healthcare it's perfectly reasonable to expect some level of fraud from doctors and hospitals. After all, it's not exactly a hard sell to say a 90 year old woman needs a battery of tests that she really doesn't need every time she comes in for a visit that can then be charged for.

My mother had a heart problem that her primary doctor "couldn't figure out". My parents had diamond level insurance at the time. He ordered all kinds of tests to be done on her over the course of several months and nothing they did worked, my father and I are convinced he was milking the insurance for everything he could get. They finally got a second opinion and within 15 minutes the new doctor had figured out the problem. A very obvious problem that he explained should have been the very first thing she was asked about and tested on. She was on Thyroid medication and one of the very well known side effects of said medication was her heart condition. They took her off it and she was fine.

The older someone gets the less they and their family question such obviously fraudulent activity because "hey, they're old".

iannis

Musty Nester
This thread was much better when everyone sat around circle jerking over linds folding some socks.
Please tell me more about these sock folding pics you have.

Are they good socks, or those crappy white tube socks? Argyle? Ankle Cut? What material are these alleged socks made from?

Izo

Tranny Chaser
rrr_img_91909.png

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Uh oh, now you got foot fetish Iannis all up in here.

And Brutul - desire to feel superiority? Really dude? If anyone could wake up tomorrow and miraculously be in shape, they would. Has nothing to do with feeling superior.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Sure, so why don't you be concerned with your own health and stop worry about everyone else's?
Brutal, I don't have children yet but I plan to. I'm concerned about the example adults set for our children. I don't particularly relish having to explain to my kids why I'm right and everyone in our family is wrong. We all have a great deal of respect for one another and everyone's achievements; my grandfather brute-forced via hellish work hours our family from blue to white collar. I just wish that they'd set the example they ought to regarding health for their kids and my future kids.

I think the particular distinction I make to drug addicts is that they tend to do their shit in private; if Uncle Dennis was visiting and shooting up in the living room he wouldn't be invited back. But we (my family and society in general) tend to just turn a blind eye. Ridiculous overeating with no thought given to how devastating this influence is upon children. Last time I visited family, I watched my niece (10 years old) pound down a 1k calorie breakfast and start bargaining for more crap before noon. If the adults don't have the discipline to take care of themselves, they sure as fuck are going to run into the age-old problem of ("Do as I say, not as I do.")

If your stance is: ("I'm totally fine with raising the next generation to be even more obese / morbidly obese than the current.") then we obviously are at an impasse. But acting like you exist and operate in a vacuum, and that your actions don't inform more impressionable minds... well, that's naive.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I think there could probably be a case made for what Brutul is saying though not for the reasons he is presenting.

Because of our privatized healthcare system and the business involved behind said healthcare it's perfectly reasonable to expect some level of fraud from doctors and hospitals. After all, it's not exactly a hard sell to say a 90 year old woman needs a battery of tests that she really doesn't need every time she comes in for a visit that can then be charged for.

My mother had a heart problem that her primary doctor "couldn't figure out". My parents had diamond level insurance at the time. He ordered all kinds of tests to be done on her over the course of several months and nothing they did worked, my father and I are convinced he was milking the insurance for everything he could get. They finally got a second opinion and within 15 minutes the new doctor had figured out the problem. A very obvious problem that he explained should have been the very first thing she was asked about and tested on. She was on Thyroid medication and one of the very well known side effects of said medication was her heart condition. They took her off it and she was fine.

The older someone gets the less they and their family question such obviously fraudulent activity because "hey, they're old".
I'm not talking about "tests". She has had both knees, both shoulders, and a hip replaced. That shit is expensive, and it happens to almost everyone once you get beyond a certain age.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Uh oh, now you got foot fetish Iannis all up in here.

And Brutul - desire to feel superiority? Really dude? If anyone could wake up tomorrow and miraculously be in shape, they would. Has nothing to do with feeling superior.
Of course they would, but that doesn't mean that anyone else needs to get involved with it. Whether a stranger on the internet is or is not overweight does not concern you in the least.