Marriage and the Power of Divorce

Holy shit this thread is depressing.
Marriages usually are. Honestly the best way to go about things if you aren't influenced heavily by a religion that demands marriage in order to get the nooky is just do the long term dating thing. People change too often over the course of their lives to be purely happy with one partner for the next thirty to fifty years. For the most part, there are exceptions of course.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I'm dating someone right now that went through a bankruptcy this year and lives paycheck-to-paycheck. I have to say that it really acts as a caution sign when ever I think about long term possibilities, especially ones in which our finances get merged.
Get the details. Ironically, neither of these things necessarily means she is bad with finances. She could have had to declare bankruptcy for a number of reasons outside of her control-- medical bills, divorce, underwater mortgage in 2008, or even job loss.. How she is handling her bankruptcy, rebuilding credit, and managing her spending from paycheck to paycheck is actually more telling.. How someone manages their finances when they are in the shitter is actually the best indicator of financial discipline there is.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I don't know about you bros but I don't give a shit how financially disciplined a cashier at McDonald's is. My woman needs to make a respectable wage on top of all that. I don't wanna support myself and another adult.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I don't know about you bros but I don't give a shit how financially disciplined a cashier at McDonald's is. My woman needs to make a respectable wage on top of all that. I don't wanna support myself and another adult.
Well yeah.. Paycheck to Paycheck doesn't mean she works the cash at McDonald's. If she's a full blown adult working at McD's there are probably some intelligence and ambition issues that I would have problems with before I even considered her income. I hear you though, she's got to at least be working at something respectable that doesn't earn minimum wage, but I realized long ago that I have enough rare "must haves" that adding "earns good living" one to the list would literally make finding a relationship impossible. Smart, attractive, not crazy chicks that earns good $$$ marry CEO's and Neurosurgeons.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Back in 2008 my wife and I started to watch "Debt shows" together. These are basically reality shows that focus on folks who have really screwed up there finances and are looking for a real fix. Normally a 3rd party instructor helps the couple, I found watching these shows to be a good indicator on how my now wife was going to spend and it also educated both of us on major pitfalls in the financial world.

To the guys out there with GFs who have money problems, watch a couple of these shows, hope she learns and more importantly hope she cares.

I liked

"till debt do us part"

Til Debt Do Us Part | Watch Online - Full Episodes Videos | slice.ca

"money morons"
"Princess" for non married women who are about to get dumped !

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
So I'm seperated about 6 months and half way to getting divorced. Just have the paper work and mandatory 3 month waiting period in PA to go through, also have to sell a rental property etc.

Saturday night I was flirting with a girl at a local pub. Cute red head that seems to have her shit together, great perky attitude and was clearly interested. First time I've actively tried to flirt other than a one night stand a couple months ago which was clearly a one night only thing. Feels good man. I feel like I'm fucking alive again.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
We enjoy those feedthepig commercials (not sure if nationwide or just MA?) where the one couple says they're about to buy the house and the other one doesn't know why they don't have any money as they're eating lobsters and flying in a hotair balloon. It makes us realize we're a lot better off than most people.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
So I'm seperated about 6 months and half way to getting divorced. Just have the paper work and mandatory 3 month waiting period in PA to go through, also have to sell a rental property etc.

Saturday night I was flirting with a girl at a local pub. Cute red head that seems to have her shit together, great perky attitude and was clearly interested. First time I've actively tried to flirt other than a one night stand a couple months ago which was clearly a one night only thing. Feels good man. I feel like I'm fucking alive again.
My advice? Marry that redhead asap, you have to lock that shit down. Also, that way you can keep participating in this thread for years to come!

Random offshoot question. I was reading that most divorced men remarry within 2 years. I never plan on remarrying, and I didn't even have a terrible marriage or anything, I just feel like I've learned enough about myself to know thats not something I want again. I'm joking about Julian's post, and more power to you man, I plan on getting back into dating at some point, but I really don't have any intention of getting into anything serious, maybe ever.

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
My advice? Marry that redhead asap, you have to lock that shit down. Also, that way you can keep participating in this thread for years to come!

Random offshoot question. I was reading that most divorced men remarry within 2 years. I never plan on remarrying, and I didn't even have a terrible marriage or anything, I just feel like I've learned enough about myself to know thats not something I want again. I'm joking about Julian's post, and more power to you man, I plan on getting back into dating at some point, but I really don't have any intention of getting into anything serious, maybe ever.
I've been drinking but did I miss the question?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You've been through it once.. I'd just not date and instead just fuck.

My boss at my old job was around 45ish and divorced. He wound up banging the hottest 21 year old at our work consistently and exclusively for years. She really wants a ring but he's told her no way he's ever getting married again. She still sticks around and fucks him.

When I am talking hottest 21 year old, I am talking 11/10. Wish I had pics.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
You've been through it once.. I'd just not date and instead just fuck.

My boss at my old job was around 45ish and divorced. He wound up banging the hottest 21 year old at our work consistently and exclusively for years. She really wants a ring but he's told her no way he's ever getting married again. She still sticks around and fucks him.

When I am talking hottest 21 year old, I am talking 11/10. Wish I had pics.
It's stories like these that make me think it's alright to stay single forever, and dying alone is ok because the day before I croak I stuck my grandpa dick into some 21 year old.

Daelos

Guarding the guardians
Fucking thinking about dating is tough. I'm way to INTJ for this shit.
INTJs make for good dates. Played correctly, we can distance ourselves from the fear of failing (we're above that shit, who cares how it goes down), we can do an intelligent conversation if we concentrate, and once it moves into relationship-status we make good partners.
Our foibles tend to be the social anxiety, and inability to keep up inane chatter for any length of time.

Daelos

Guarding the guardians
I guess I was just curious how other divorced guys on here felt about it.
Divorced 3 years here, after a 12 year relationship (with 2 kids).

I'm in a new relationship. It's pretty serious. Ref the last post I made, I'm fairly introverted in that I prefer alone-time. But I still enjoy company, and I've found that a steady partner gives me just the right amount of company. It makes life better.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Holy shit this thread is depressing.
I dunno, if anything it makes me feel awesome about the state of my relationship! The most contentious issue right now is that she wants a dog. At a wedding over the weekend that shit kept coming up, because a couple of my friends just got puppies. We agreed that if she behaves herself, we will get a dog in 4 years. I started at 10. Marriage has never even come up, at least from her. Basically every single one of my friends at the wedding were like "your woman is awesome, don't fuck this up. Why aren't you marrying her?" My response was generally some variation of "she's going back to school this spring, so that's out for at least another 2-3 years."

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Yea, she's not quite an adult yet. He's teaching her how to be a proper woman. She's actually "going back to school" at driver's ed.