Marriage and the Power of Divorce

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
We as humans never know what might happen, some people struggle with trying to make things work because they are afraid of failure or feeling like a quitter. Others move on entirely too soon because they don't feel like dealing with what might be a hassle. There are people here that have experienced both sides of that. The fact that sometimes it isn't worth fighting for because nothing is wrong with either of you, you just aren't right for each other, seems to offend you.
Its just that you jump directly into "well you guys aren't right for each other, pull the plug" based on almost nothing. Its not that drastic, the guy's not out shopping for moissanite rings or anything, he has time to figure her out for now.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Its just that you jump directly into "well you guys aren't right for each other, pull the plug" based on almost nothing. Its not that drastic, the guy's not out shopping for moissanite rings or anything, he has time to figure her out for now.
Well, it seems to me he's asking if he should stay or if he should go. I'm giving my opinion. And I'm not saying "pull the plug". I'm saying, objectively, it sounds like the two of your are just different when it comes to how much time you want to spend together. That's a fundamental difference in personality. No amount of time or compromise is going to change that. It will always circle back around and lead to an argument, or at the very least a difference of opinion.

We are all weighing in based on the same amount of information by the way. That's what we do here. We jump to goddamn conclusions.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Getting better advice from the engineer that mayos his wife's butt than you, Opiate. Step it up.
I'll say it again, if you want to have this level anxiety every time you need to have a serious conversation with this woman for fear of her "flipping her shit" that is your prerogative. Plenty of guys have made that compromise in favor of the other positive traits the woman might have. If it were me, I would just have the conversation straight up and if she did flip her shit I'd take that as my sign to move on because I wouldn't want to go through my life like that. That isn't for me.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Yea, I tend toward opiate's perspective. If I run into a situation where it's a deal-breaker I just pull the trigger. Of course I haven't had a long-term relationship ever, and that's undoubtedly a significant factor. I'd like one, I'm just not willing to compromise much.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yea, I tend toward opiate's perspective. If I run into a situation where it's a deal-breaker I just pull the trigger. Of course I haven't had a long-term relationship ever, and that's undoubtedly a significant factor. I'd like one, I'm just not willing to compromise much.
You largely covered why opiate's advice is not good with a very candid self assessment here. My impression is that he either has not had or is not into long term commitment, either. Apples and Oranges.

If you are playing the long game, which a lot of us over 30 "betas" are, different rules apply and you learn to let little shit slide, even if its obvious crazy. Women at this stage will ignore farting in bed and public ball scratching for much the same reason. Expecting perfection from other people is just Don Quixote chasing wind mills and the sooner certain narcissistic people realize this the happier they will be. Of course that does not mean you don't throw some feelers out there to check for obvious signs of extra strength crazy, it just means you tough out the minor bouts of it from time to time if the important stuff is all there.

@Khane- Serious question not meant to be insulting, but how long exactly has your longest relationship gone and who dumped who?

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'll say it again, if you want to have this level anxiety every time you need to have a serious conversation with this woman for fear of her "flipping her shit" that is your prerogative. Plenty of guys have made that compromise in favor of the other positive traits the woman might have. If it were me, I would just have the conversation straight up and if she did flip her shit I'd take that as my sign to move on because I wouldn't want to go through my life like that. That isn't for me.
Fair enough. Though I may have done a poor job describing my anxiety level, which isn't THAT high. Nor has she flipped out when I discussed things with her prior. I just wanted to draw on collective experience here for some tips on broaching what could be a sensitive topic. So it sounds less like "fuck off" and more like "you're important, but I also need more time to myself".

EDIT: though you have a point on keeping it simple. So maybe my second quote there is more or less it.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
You largely covered why opiate's advice is not good with a very candid self assessment here. My impression is that he either has not had or is not into long term commitment, either. Apples and Oranges.
Been with the same woman for 10 years, married for 6 this August. Short of nasty name-calling I can have any conversation with her I want without fear of her going lobster rage fist because I used the wrong word.

"you're important, but I also need more time to myself".
Well that is basically what I said to tell her. I mean you don't have to use my EXACT phrasing.
tongue.png
But I think you also shouldn't have to sit there and draft a carefully worded statement either, just talk to her man. Like I said, either way you'll learn something important.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Tells her she is clingy early on. She wigs out. Marries her.
No shit. Noodle defies logic on a lot of levels though and gets away with it. There are just some things you just do not say at all when talking to a woman you are in a relationship unless you want to nuke it right there. "Clingy", "Cunt", "You are just like your mother.", and "Your sister is attractive" are all pretty high on that list of nuclear launch codes.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Fair enough. Though I may have done a poor job describing my anxiety level, which isn't THAT high. Nor has she flipped out when I discussed things with her prior. I just wanted to draw on collective experience here for some tips on broaching what could be a sensitive topic. So it sounds less like "fuck off" and more like "you're important, but I also need more time to myself".
I think we are all just too numbed by dealing with Onoes, where nothing is subtle and it requires a sledge hammer to get points across. We are not used to dude looking for advice about minor concern in this thread anymore.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Haast, new tactic. Tell her "look you clingy cunt, you are acting just like your mother and I need you to be more like your hot sister, ok?" She'll understand.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
No shit. Noodle defies logic on a lot of levels though and gets away with it. There are just some things you just do not say at all when talking to a woman you are in a relationship unless you want to nuke it right there. "Clingy", "Cunt", "You are just like your mother.", and "Your sister is attractive" are all pretty high on that list of nuclear launch codes.
Calling them "crazy" usually amps the crazy to 11. The conclusion of "Haast's Ex-Wife: A Case Study".

Khane

Got something right about marriage

If you are playing the long game, which a lot of us over 30 "betas" are, different rules apply and you learn to let little shit slide, even if its obvious crazy. Women at this stage will ignore farting in bed and public ball scratching for much the same reason. Expecting perfection from other people is just Don Quixote chasing wind mills and the sooner certain narcissistic people realize this the happier they will be. Of course that does not mean you don't throw some feelers out there to check for obvious signs of extra strength crazy, it just means you tough out the minor bouts of it from time to time if the important stuff is all there.

@Khane- Serious question not meant to be insulting, but how long exactly has your longest relationship gone and who dumped who?
Just shy of 4 years, Nobody dumped anyone. It was a mutual agreement that we should go our separate ways. Not sure why either of those things matters.

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
You just need to come up with a 7 point plan on how you want to be married in another 6 months. What your 6 kids names are going to be, and if at all possible have a stuffed Persian cat named Ms. Snoockumpants.

If you do not see her fleeing in terror then you should run instead. But at least you would not be called Mediocre!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You can say your wife is clingy without saying clingy. What I meant is some words are offensive and it's OK to think twice before you say things you'll regret.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I explained to my wife my belief that in a healthy relationship, each person should have outside interests. She agreed. Then I also used her (and every other woman's) trope against her that she 'doesn't want to change me'. We all know it's bullshit, but since she said it, I used it.

Worked out pretty well. I also conceded that she just loves me more than I love her, but that I DO love her.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
When she says she's coming over all you need to say is that you feel like being by yourself today, but I'd love to see you tomorrow/weekend/otherday.