Marriage and the Power of Divorce

wantonsoup_sl

shitlord
Even if she's not up to counseling, you should still go yourself. If you're serious about wanting to work on the relationship put the work into it for a bit, if there's no trying from her it will tell you what you need to do.

If sex means nothing to her she won't mind you fucking someone else then!

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I've had sex with my wife when I wasn't fully in the mood (It was enjoyable, I was just not in the right state of mind--but she wanted to, and it made me happy to make her happy.)...And my wife has also done that for me. Relationships are built off these things, it's not all about what YOU get out of the act--if you love your partner, part of it must be about what THEY get out of the act. If she can no longer find it in her to derive happiness from helping you? Then something is wrong.
I would think in a healthy marriage this is a pretty regular occurrence, and there is a nice bonus that even when you are the one not in the mood I rarely regret "giving in" to make the other happy. Someone you love shouldn't have to face rejection from their sole partner other than in rare circumstances.

I have never gone more than a week and that was because of traveling I really don't know how you have kept a healthy relationship without that intimacy. Friend of my wife and I who has also been married for 20+ years recently told us she doesn't have sex any more because she doesn't think it's something older people do and she is only 48, I do think women can go through some odd hormonal changes and sexual desire can really get odd.

My wife often tells me she doesn't feel a strong urge for sex until she starts doing it, says it just doesn't enter her mind but her interest piques quickly with any kind of fooling around. If men go into the mode of waiting till she shows interest often find themselves sitting there a long time. How does your wife respond to a woody poking her butt while spooning in bed? Does it annoy her?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Thanks for the replies, even the non-serious ones; I needed a laugh.

She is 45 and I am almost 43, so maybe there are also female hormones at work here too. I am starting to realize this is probably NOT about me, even though it impacts me in a huge way. I am going to try and have another discussion today, about the marriage in general, and she is she'll agree to conseling.
Counseling wont help bro. you cannot negotiate desire. No matter what you say and no matter what doctor/therapist you go to and they say, you just cannot negotiate your wife wanting your cock. You need to take care of yourself first and foremost. Get your shit together, as they say go monk mode for a while working on you. And then play some dread games. Go to gym, lose some weight, go out with your buddies and take care of you. And once that dread starts creeping in her head that maybe youre looking good getting in shape, getting strange or getting ready to get some strange and checking out, well shit might turn around.

Welcome to the real world bluepillprofessor

The 12 Step Plan of Dread: Book excerpt from my work in progress: A Man's Guide To Turning Around a Low Sex Marriage (X-Post from TRP) : marriedredpill

Larnix

Blackwing Lair Raider
If sex means nothing to her she won't mind you fucking someone else then!
I basically had this conversation with my wife a few weeks ago. We were on a vacation in San Francisco for her sisters wedding. It was the first time in almost 4 years that we would have more than just one night without little people. Surely I should be getting laid ever day for the 7 days we are out there.

We get checked into our hotel and unpack a few things and I go for it and get shut down. There is just so much to see and do we need to get moving. Then we get out of our hotel room and she wants to know where do I want to go and what do I want to see. I sort of lose it and call bs on the no sex.

Without going into great detail I told her I didn't think it was fair that she got to regulate my sexual well being. That I could find a fwb type of thing and I wouldn't bother her for sex. A win win right?! She called it cheating and I countered that it wasn't If one person wasn't interested.

We walked around in silence for the next hour and suddenly she couldn't keep her hands off me. I told her I would pass on the pity sex and it took all my might to keep that up. I blew off all of her advances for the evening. We finally had sex the next morning and she apologized saying that she never realized how much it hurt to be turned down repeatedly for sex.

We ended up having quite a bit of sex that entire week and it's so far kept up in the weeks since we got back. It's only been about 3 weeks since this happened so who knows how long it will last but it's been nice and my wife admitted that having more sex has made her crave it even more.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Arinath, your wife already asked if you were going to rape her, I honestly think that telling her you're gonna fuck someone else at this juncture wouldn't be a big deal. She is checked out physically. If she gets mad about it then she's a liar about not wanting it in the first place.

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Her absolute refusal is concerning which makes me think there are likely several underlying issues but I don't jump to the idea she is having an affair...more in the realms of hormonal shifts, depression, loss of her own sense of sexiness, lack of other forms of intimacy in your relationship (yes, there other forms), maybe something else happened to her and she has convinced herself that she cannot share it with you, she has in her head she is past the age she "has to"....so many possibilities. Discussing about it in as blameless a manner as possible is the only way you will discover the whys.

You wrote in your post words that expressed clearly how you feel....you shared that you started your relationship on line with words to one another. Have you considered hand-writing her a letter? Let her know first and foremost that you are concerned for her, the shift that your eyes have observed. But it is apparent to me how pained you were by her reaction, words used like rape and divorce as well as what seems to be apathy towards you as her loving partner....if she can't face you to hear it, perhaps her reading it in her own private space at her own pace, can open up her heart?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Wow, that, for me, is a big red flag. If she's essentially stating the only thing that's going to get her back in bed is rape, her mind is really afield. No one in a marriage, who really loves the other person, should be so against compromise that they feel the only way they will do something is essentially forced by violence. Marriage is about intimacy, and even if she's not super excited about sex itself, she SHOULD be excited about making you happy. And that's the big thing; if she can no longer engage in something, even if its just for her partners happiness, because her partners happiness means so little to her? That is the issue.

I've had sex with my wife when I wasn't fully in the mood (It was enjoyable, I was just not in the right state of mind--but she wanted to, and it made me happy to make her happy.)...And my wife has also done that for me. Relationships are built off these things, it's not all about what YOU get out of the act--if you love your partner, part of it must be about what THEY get out of the act. If she can no longer find it in her to derive happiness from helping you? Then something is wrong.

I would ask her to talk to a doctor honestly...if you had a healthy sex life before, and things went off a cliff, it might be medical. So, rule that out before you push her on the emotional aspect of it.
Yea, seems like she's checked out.

Arinath, I don't mean to lack empathy, but are you sure she didn't just consider you a support unit before? The actions by her alone make it seem that way but combine with the fact that she needed a father for her kids and all that... Just sucks either way.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
My position is this.

When i entered into my marraige i agreed to save sex with one person for the rest of my life. I take that very seriously. But you know what, that vow has a second part to it, if i can not fuck anyone else, i get to fuck you....lets be clear, i am not saying "on demand" or when i say so. But in the general terms, this "only have sex with you thing' only works if i actualy get to have sex with you. If you are not willing to be part of the "I only get to have sex with" you equation, then the whole thing falls apart.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I am a highly sexual person, and believe intimacy is crucial in marriage. I am perfectly happy with my wife in all other respects. So I decided to see what would happen if I tried to "tough it out."
First of all, I don't think you can have an open marriage. I believe you're the type of person who would fall in love with the strange on the side. Second, she needs to realize it's not enough to love your partner, you need to let them know in the language they speak. I've mentioned the bookThe 5 Love Languagesa few times in this thread, but I think it would help you and your wife so I'll mention it again. It helped me tremendously in understanding the people around me (not just my wife) and how to improve the relationships I wanted to improve.

My position is this.

When i entered into my marraige i agreed to save sex with one person for the rest of my life. I take that very seriously. But you know what, that vow has a second part to it, if i can not fuck anyone else, i get to fuck you....lets be clear, i am not saying "on demand" or when i say so. But in the general terms, this "only have sex with you thing' only works if i actualy get to have sex with you. If you are not willing to be part of the "I only get to have sex with" you equation, then the whole thing falls apart.
You signed a sole source provider contract for pussy. If she's not providing, she's in breech of contract and you have to seek other sources. My wife and I have used similar words. In fact, it was originally her analogy in explaining why she gives it up even when she's not in the mood.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
If there's one take away from all this, I think everyone is in agreement not to blame yourself in this circumstance.

Also, you should probably rape your wife. She threw that shit on the table, not you. Let's see what she's made of.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Make sure to record it so you can relive the magic over and over again. Preferably every year on your anniversary.

Arinath

Trakanon Raider
An update:

First, thanks to everyone who replied with helpful/insightful comments. I really appreciated it and it reminded me of why I have been a lurker here and at Fires of Heaven for 13 years.

So, after some serious soul-searching I decided to have another talk with the missus last night. The funny thing is, right after she got home from work she initiated the conversation. We have been planning a trip for December and she said "should we book these tickets if we're going to divorce?" So the talk I had planned for after dinner happened right away.

Basically I came at things in a less aggressive way, trying to see past my own hurt and feelings of rejection and see things from her side. Usually I am very good at this but I admit no sex and its associated physical intimacy had me very bitter and the first conversation from Monday was probably more hostile than I thought it was. Turns out she had been feeling disconnected for a while AND hormonal and cornered after my confronting her on Monday morning. We had the best talk we've had in years about our relationship - I manned up on a few issues I'd been avoiding and she came to understand how badly I was taking her physical rejection.

It will take time, but we agreed we want to stay together and get back to where we were in the past. This includes the physical aspect. I don't expect her to jump me in the next few days but I can tell the "no sex" thing will soon be over.

This didn't happen overnight and won't be fixed overnight. I am glad I followed some of the great advice here and that it turned out in about the best possible way. I am a lot wiser now about needing to speak up more often and look at things from more than one (or even two or three) angles.

To anyone else having marital troubles, talk to your spouse. I was dreading the talk all day, thinking I was heading for divorce. Then, about mid-afternoon, I realized that was ridiculous - I have been best friends with this person for the past 18 years. And that if she wouldn't talk to me and be receptive I'd have my answer. So I was relaxed and honest and non-confrontational and it paid off.

Its going to be a bit of a rough road turning the ship around, but I am confident it will happen. Thanks again for listening.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Good to hear my man.

I'm a little worried that she keeps initiating conversations with "so are we getting divorced?"

Arinath

Trakanon Raider
There were some issues with one of the kids, and yes, being involved in her interests more. I know, it sounds incredibly cliche, but I have been a bit of a vacant husband in too many areas. The ironic thing is, a large part of that over the past 18 months was because I wasn't getting laid. Cause and effect.....and a vicious cycle. We talked about that too.

SHE was very upset about a potential divorce, maybe feeling worse about it then I was, which is why she led with that last night. Details: We both make very good money so it wasn't a "I can't survive without him" situation. She just didn't want to split, like me.

She DID say no anal after telling me getting laid regularly would start happening again in the very near future. So I guess you can't have everything.....but then, we hadn't done anal in 10 years so I wasn't expecting it anyway.

Basically, this was as huge communication breakdown and both of us being a bit ass-holish. Believe me, I'm not keeping quiet about major problems anymore.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
She DID say no anal after telling me getting laid regularly would start happening again in the very near future. So I guess you can't have everything.....
Don't give up on your dreams so easily. It's never too late.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I really enjoy your wife's bluntness. So you're gonna rape me? Should we buy these tickets since we're getting divorced? Fine, I'll fuck you, but no anal.

I feel like she's always 30 steps ahead of you, and thinks you're some sort of predatory monster apparently.