Marriage and the Power of Divorce

Denaut

Trump's Staff
With women or you mean my friends?

Your friends (and family if that is relevant). Just sort of doing a differential to try and help.

I understand feeling lonely and I have absolutely no issues with prostitution or gay relationships, but from what you've mentioned I get the impression that you are spending your time pursuing short-term payoffs when what you have a more long-term goal. I don't really have enough information to know for certain though.

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Family is pretty dysfunctional: literally texted my mom to tell her “Fuck you” and “you wonder why I want to move out of state” on Christmas Day

The vast majority of my friends got married and started families and moved out of state

Denaut

Trump's Staff
What do you do for fun, how do you spend your free time? Also, what does your social interaction look like during a typical week?

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
No time for much socializing: job is overloaded with OT

Basically work, come home, Internet, sleep repeat

Denaut

Trump's Staff
It sounds to me like you've diagnosed your immediate issue, but there is definitely more going on underneath that you need to work on.

While not a perfect law of the universe, you generally get out of something what you put into it. If you are putting zero effort into cultivating relationships with people than it is expected you won't have them, romantic or otherwise. This is an important causal concept to understand, and you should manage your expectations accordingly.

There is nothing wrong with de-prioritizing social relationships if it suits you, but it doesn't sound like that is what you want. Your loneliness stems from more general social isolation than simply not having a girlfriend. You have to ask yourself some difficult questions about what you really want in life, you are just floating through it on autopilot. That path leads nowhere, and certainly not to fulfillment.

You also need to reflect on your feelings, actions, and how those affect your relationships. Feeling like a third wheel among friends and texting your mother those words indicates you aren't of right resolve (not to get too Buddhist). Why did you say those things? What purpose did it serve? If your mother is someone not worth having in your life, then don't have her in your life. Why do you feel like a third wheel among good friends? Is it all in your head, or are they not people worth being friends with? Stop blowing time and mental energy on people and relationships that don't bring meaning to your life.

Not being able to find a girlfriend is only a symptom and in your current state, even if you managed to find one, I fear you would choose poorly. You really should start counseling again, even if it didn't do much before it is worth pursuing. If you need to shop around until you find someone you connect with.

KurganAU

<Gold Donor>
Nozz, you mentioned engaging in self harm because you don't believe your life has meaning or value. Would I be right in thinking you would never do the same harm to another person you care about?
Think about how you would treat someone you were responsible for helping and notice how different that is to how you treat yourself. You deserve that same level of treatment you would give others.

Regarding your self worth, until you can ask yourself in your mind "Am I a loser?" and respond to that question with an honest answer of "No I'm not" then the search for a significant other is attaching your meaning and value to a person. There are 2 issues with that. 1.) That's a hell of an expectation to lay at someones feet and 2.) Meaning and value is specific to each person. You have to discern your own answer for meaning to have any truth. Some people find meaning in adopting responsibility but ultimately it's up to you.

Please note that this isn't me calling you a loser, it's about asking that question of yourself and whether you believe it or not. If you do, then you know you need to work on yourself first. Incremental changes, such as what is one thing I could do today to make my life suck a little less? Compare your progress to yesterday, not other people. If you don't believe it then you are one step closer to liking who you are and that will show through in your social interactions.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Crossfit gym.
People who do crossfit, fucking love hanging out and talking about crossfit non stop. They also go to competitions and stuff where 1 guy competes, does horrible, but everyone has a great time screaming obscenities at the judges.

Last edited:
  • 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
50% of the guys I know are currently single, almost all because they want women who are way more attractive than them

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
I don’t think my standards are that high

Most women I’ve tried to date in the past several years fall solidly in the heavier than average category , which is probably where I would put myself

I weigh 212 at 6’2” I don’t want to date a woman that’s 225 at 5’6”

The hottest woman I ever dated was easily plus sized but she was very beautiful to me

iannis

Musty Nester
reasonably attractive (a solid 5 or 6) and emotionally fragile?

Like a woman just a bit past 30 who's still thinking that if she can just get that one big break... deploy the dennis system!

It's an ugly spot. But step #1 is to change that internal perception. External follows internal for positive change. Negative change can go either way.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
reasonably attractive (a solid 5 or 6) and emotionally fragile?

Like a woman just a bit past 30 who's still thinking that if she can just get that one big break... deploy the dennis system!

It's an ugly spot. But step #1 is to change that internal perception. External follows internal for positive change. Negative change can go either way.
My wife and I are both comfortable identifying ourselves as solid 6’s that can go up or down based on level of effort and fitness. Every guy has experienced the phenomenon of becoming more attracted to a mediocre or even ugly chick simply by being around her frequently and becoming more familiar with her. Not sure if chicks experience the same thing, but I assume they do.

TheNozz TheNozz I guess what I’m saying is, if you find a chick that seems agreeable enough but not exactly brag-worthy in the looks department, give it 3-4 dates before you decide it’s untenable.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

iannis

Musty Nester
just getting to know a person makes them more attractive. honestly. and familiarity also helps.

I mean there's powerful ugly that no matter how well you get to know them will remain powerful ugly. But attractiveness is so much more than the contour of bones and flesh.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Anyone who says fuck you to their mother on Christmas probably has a few kinks to work out in their life

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Anyone who says fuck you to their mother on Christmas probably has a few kinks to work out in their life
source.gif

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Every guy has experienced the phenomenon of becoming more attracted to a mediocre or even ugly chick simply by being around her frequently and becoming more familiar with her. Not sure if chicks experience the same thing, but I assume they do.

They absolutely do. I've definitely pulled chicks above my attractive level due to that. Sometimes friend zones barriers can be broken.

• 2Solidarity