Marriage and the Power of Divorce

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I can add some angst in for good measure.

On Saturday I told my wife I’m not sure I want to be married anymore. We’ve been together for 10 years, married for 4 and have a 1 year old son.

Until I said it out loud I was confident. As soon as I said it I started to doubt myself and what my motives are.

In the past 18 months I have set up my own business which is doing well but honestly takes up all of my attention and brain space 99% of the time. Money has also been very tight. We’ve survived but we’ve lost all spare money for holidays etc due to me giving up a well paid job to pursue my dream. My Grandma, who was a huge influence on me and lived to 93 years old, passed away, my son was born 12 hours after she died. I have struggled a lot with the feeling of injustice that my son didn’t get to meet my grandma, particularly as it was so close.

My wife is very ‘safe’. We rarely argue and it is only ever about tiny things. My major feeling is that our relationship is gone. I still care about her deeply as a person and don’t want to see her hurt, I also think she deserves to be treated better. When I look at her I’m not attracted to her anymore, I’m struggling with the fact I often have no motivation to be at home and would rather be at work. I neglect her and it feels like it’s by choice.

I am trying to figure out my thoughts but have many things conflicting and conflating. I own a gym which is doing well and has a real community. Our members love coming to the gym. They rave about it being their special place. I’m realising that I’ve put everything into it and that ultimately these people go home to their lives and families and I’m left with an empty building.

For months the ‘single life’ has been on my mind. Not necessarily other women, although I’ll mention that in a second, but living alone and having freedom. Since speaking to my wife I have started feeling an overwhelming sense of dread and fear about being alone. I don’t know if that is what’s motivating me to doubt everything I felt before or if I just hadn’t really thought about it.

For the last month I have been texting a girl from my gym. She is a member so it is stupid of me. I fear I’ve been the stereotypical mid 30s man. I’m 33, she’s 23. She’s absolutely stunning. We flirted for a while in person then started messaging and she got very flirty and then sexual over the weeks. I asked her on a date and we went out. I was aware she’d been dumped by her last boyfriend and he didn’t explain why he just left and she had been damaged by that. Our date was fantastic, seriously great. 5 hours of non stop eye contact. I felt no guilt about being out with another woman and when we kissed a couple of times towards the end of the night I felt nothing but excitement. We agreed to go out again. I had told her my marriage was over and lied that I’d told my wife months ago.

When I asked her out for a second date the next day she said we needed to talk. On Monday we spoke and she told me she had an amazing time and shares my feelings about it but can’t get her head straight about being with someone and thinks it’s to do with her ex. I know she’d been on a date in January with a guy and the date hadn’t been great but she told me that she’d had the same thoughts then and thought our date was so good that it would help her move past them.

I can’t lie, I’m gutted. I haven’t fully processed it yet but I’m sure it’s a mixture of the fact our date and connection were so good, she’s so attractive, it was giving me a new vine to swing from immediately and it was new and exciting and I felt alive again. I also feel like I need to change her mind and seeing her each time she comes into the gym is all I’ve focused on since. That feels naive though and having been in a relationship for 10 years all these feelings are alien to me again.

I also wonder if my date on Friday is what motivated me to speak to my wife on Saturday. And then whether this girl doing this is what’s motivating my doubts and fears of being alone. I have decided not to tell my wife as I think it would only hurt her.

I also think I have struggled with being a dad. Before my son was born I felt strongly about being around as much as possible. Now I think about ways I can not be around. I have a lovely relationship with him but I worry I don’t feel what everyone else feels. The prospect of being a part time dad somewhat appeals to me and that makes me feel awful.

When I told my wife she said she had been feeling similar things - that she’s been unhappy with how I’ve been for a while. That she’s known I’m unhappy in life and struggling. She isn’t sure what she wants but she knows she needs me to change. I don’t know if I’m capable of it and actually if I even want to. The reason my business is doing so well is because I’m putting so much into it.

I have asked my wife if we can take some weeks and maybe months to just keep talking. Keep speaking about how we feel and what’s best. My mum says we should stay together for my son but I feel like that would be wrong as he would see me grow into an even bigger dark cloud over the home and I think my wife and I could be that rare example of friends who co-parent.

I am a highly stressed person and with all the stuff gone on in the last 18 months I fear it’s all piled up on me and I’m not thinking straight. I’m also quite a self destructive person and get restless and make impulsive decisions.

I have decided to speak to a counsellor - I’ve found talking to a few close people to me has helped. Not to come to a decision but the weight feels lighter. I am hopeful that speaking to a counsellor will give me some insight and clarity.

Am I truly unhappy, am I just afraid of the commitments I’ve made, am I afraid of being alone and that’s making me doubt it. Many questions to try and answer.

If I’m honest it all feels very unfair to my wife.

How many chicks did you bang before you got married?

I can relate to this post, but I'd have to flashback like 5 years to really understand this head space. This reads to me like somebody who got married too soon and had a child too early. The problem now is you've got a kiddo to take care of, and regardless of where you and your missus stand, the kid is the only priority that matters in these deals - even at the expense of you or your wife's happiness.

• 4Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Aren't you asian? Yall are the loudest mother fuckers on earth, you're one to talk! :p

I get it tho. Noise level and activity level after coming home from work used to be rough. It gets better as kids grow older though.

Nowadays my boys are going on 10 and 12, i know i look forward to get home. I had some rough days when they were much younger for the reason you just described though.

That was never an excuse to get a strange piece of ass tho, to put it back into the context of the original thread :p
I'm Italian and my wife is Filipino. Kids loud as fuck. I'll survive.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

fris

Vyemm Raider
#divoreddad chiming in. 50/50 custody. I cant quantity how much I would give up to have full custody. Coming home to an empty quiet house aucks. I spend the first day without them cleaning their rooms and doing their laundry. The day before I get them back, I spend most of my free time cleaning, grocery store, etc, preparing to get them back. Makes 7 days without them feel like 5 as 2 of those 7 are dedicated to them despite their absence. And you bet your ass I'm at their school for every party and volunteer opp

• 4Solidarity
  • 3Like
Reactions: 6 users

matsb84

Silver Knight of the Realm
Being a part time dad appeals to you? I mean what in the fuck. It should make you feel awful.

Sorry but that just irritates the fuck out of me. Some of the divorced guys on here like me? We didn’t have a choice in becoming a part time dad. We adjusted and I am at my best when I am dad. But it was never something that appealed to me. Ever.

Yeah, the whole post sucks. Marriage/kids is not something for him. To effectively abandon your wife and 1 year old is quite a thing. And then to go on date with a hot piece of ass because he's checked out of his marriage, while his wife is at home with their kid, unaware. Astounding. Not only that, but he didnt communicate any of these feelings until after said hot piece of ass rejected him. Which by the way, good for her. She probably told her friends he was married and they probably advised her to stay the fuck away. Guys a real piece of shit. No amount of counseling will fix that. He should get a divorce, give up parental rights, and pay child support. Let the wife find someone that would actually give a fuck about her cause it aint him.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'm gonna need some FoH sleuthing and confirmation this isn't a copypasta from some subreddit called "saddads" before I jump in the dog pile

You can't know if abandoning your wife and child for a 23 year old at the gym is right until you have children of your own, sorry.

• 9Worf
Reactions: 8 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Should have just banged the 23 year old got it out of your system and stopped talking to her mate.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Oh yeah. Ok adjust fire and bang a hooker and then feel better about your relationship or something.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
If he sticks around I think telling his wife about the date would be a mistake. He needs to live with that guilt, telling her is just going to unburden him and dump it on her. She doesn't need that. I think people say they want to know about that stuff, but once they find out they wish they hadn't. Perhaps keeping that guilt will be the driving force/motivation for him to get his shit together. Time to get off the pity pot and man up.

Also, I think Khane Khane is right (don't let it go to your head). My Bullshit Radar was sounding off as I read the post, feels like a copy pasta.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hosix

All labs matter!
#divoreddad chiming in. 50/50 custody. I cant quantity how much I would give up to have full custody. Coming home to an empty quiet house aucks. I spend the first day without them cleaning their rooms and doing their laundry. The day before I get them back, I spend most of my free time cleaning, grocery store, etc, preparing to get them back. Makes 7 days without them feel like 5 as 2 of those 7 are dedicated to them despite their absence. And you bet your ass I'm at their school for every party and volunteer opp

This guy gets it.

Tilluin

Molten Core Raider
I completely understand and deserve the ire.

Perhaps I didn’t explain my thoughts/feelings perfectly but I understand a lot of them are disappointing and very unbecoming. My wife has been dedicated to me for our entire relationship and deserves better. But giving her better requires me to make changes I’m not sure I have the capacity to make.

I definitely got married young and I have a very restless personality, always thinking there is something better I should be seeking. I struggle to understand the feeling of contentment. I’m aware that is entitles and bullshit of me but I can’t find it. I have built a business that people rave about and frequently proclaim I must be so proud of yet I don’t feel it. I have a son who I genuinely adore and yet I hear people talk about their feelings for their children and I find myself coming up short.

The part time Dad part stems from the fact I see my son in very definite moments right now. I have him all day on a Friday, Wednesday mornings and all sundays. The rest of the time I am at work as I finish so late each night. I feel I would be passionate about maintaining these times but I guess means I feel like a part time Dad now. My wife is a natural mother and a fantastic one at that so I have always felt slightly unneccesary

I believe I have a ‘tick the box’ personality. Always thinking the next box is what needs to be done. Get married. Get a house. Have a child. Create a business.

The concept that I have no idea what I’m feeling and what is motivating my actions is what worries me the most as I have no idea which is for the best of everyone. For me it goes without saying that my son is the priority and I fear if I carry on this path I will become a dark cloud over our household. That is why I am making contact with local counsellors to discuss everything and start the process of hopefully figuring out what the fuck I’m doing and why.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
It took me longer than that. It's still an ongoing process if I'm being honest. It probably doesn't help that he has speech impediment. It really helped once he wanted to play some of the same games that I want to.

No, I'm not letting him play PoE at 6.

• 2Worf

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole

Perhaps I didn’t explain my thoughts/feelings perfectly but I understand a lot of them are disappointing and very unbecoming. My wife has been dedicated to me for our entire relationship and deserves better. But giving her better requires me to make changes I’m not sure I have the capacity to make.

I definitely got married young and I have a very restless personality, always thinking there is something better I should be seeking. I struggle to understand the feeling of contentment. I’m aware that is entitles and bullshit of me but I can’t find it. I have built a business that people rave about and frequently proclaim I must be so proud of yet I don’t feel it. I have a son who I genuinely adore and yet I hear people talk about their feelings for their children and I find myself coming up short.

The part time Dad part stems from the fact I see my son in very definite moments right now. I have him all day on a Friday, Wednesday mornings and all sundays. The rest of the time I am at work as I finish so late each night. I feel I would be passionate about maintaining these times but I guess means I feel like a part time Dad now. My wife is a natural mother and a fantastic one at that so I have always felt slightly unneccesary

I believe I have a ‘tick the box’ personality. Always thinking the next box is what needs to be done. Get married. Get a house. Have a child. Create a business.

The concept that I have no idea what I’m feeling and what is motivating my actions is what worries me the most as I have no idea which is for the best of everyone. For me it goes without saying that my son is the priority and I fear if I carry on this path I will become a dark cloud over our household. That is why I am making contact with local counsellors to discuss everything and start the process of hopefully figuring out what the fuck I’m doing and why.

Gutted? lol. Your wife isn't the only person in your life who deserves better than you.

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I dunno. It's one of those "You don't know what you got until it's gone". As a most-definitely full time dad, there are many evenings I wish I was a part-time one. I'm sure if I literally had to give up half the time with our kids, I'd think different, but when the noise-level is just non-fucking-stop after a stressful day at work...I get it.
I think this is normal. I have fucking 3, and they're all girls, they fight all the time, and the oldest is getting to the bitchy mean girls-esque middle school era. There are a lot of times when I just want to be anywhere except where they are and feel guilty for not handling things the best way, or feel like I would handle them better if I only saw them part time. But you know, moments pass, then you get a new thing to feel guilty over, shit never ends. Guess I'll go bang a 23 year old and see how the dice land.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>

What you should do depends on what kind of person you are. If you are actually a good person, blowing up your family over this will probably be the biggest regret of your life.

If you are a piece of shit though, you should blow that shit up and just try to fuck as many gym thots as you can. You'll be much happier.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like