Marriage and the Power of Divorce

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
What did I do now?! :D

I'm like the living ideal for a great divorce. I proposed that I keep the house, as I was the only one who could afford it, but that I would also keep all debt (around $20,000), I also gave her about $4,000 to put a first/last months rent on a place, buy whatever she needs etc, and she walked away with her car (8 years old), and anything she wanted from the house. We would split the kids 50/50, and in AZ the child support calc said I should be paying her $330 a month total (7 years later its $475, we revisit it every 2 years, I get raises, she does not) which was way less than I would have guessed.

She got to walk away and start over with a car, furniture, and whatever else, plus a couple thousand in the bank. I got to keep a house but had to pay off debt and rebuy anything I needed. We were both sad about it, and the first couple of years were slightly tricky to figure out. We both got pissed, had disagreements, etc, but we always talked it through, and compromised when we had to. We definitely had a few times where it could have gone sideways and bad - like, when I started dating my current wife, she told me that she didn't agree with how fast our relationship was going, and she can't forbid me from dating or anything, but she can tell me that she doesn't want my girlfriend coming up to her house when I pick up the kids. I was like "You do not want to go down this road. If you want to set that ultimatum then my recourse will be that you no longer come up to my house, you can sit in your car outside my property and call when you get there. That's just the starting point. We both came from families with bad divorces, we both agreed we weren't going to let that happen. This is you starting that process, I don't want that, you don't want that, I'm asking you to reconsider the long term consequences this is going to create." And she backed down fast.

A couple of years later she is at my wedding, doing my current wife's hair and makeup while they both cry and hug and laugh together. We are all three in a Facebook messenger chat that is just them talking to each other 90% of the time. They don't hang out together or anything, but get along super well, to the degree that if something were to happen to me, I think they would continue co-parenting the kids.

But yeah, I can't remember if I said anything in here, but a couple of months ago I planned a weeklong trip on the East Coast, and I invited my ex-wife to come along (I felt bad she hit a money issue and her summer plans with the kids got cancelled). So, I paid for everything, and me, my current wife, my ex-wife, and our 2 boys flew to NC, and spent a week driving around Virginia, hitting tourist spots, and hanging out at the beach. She paid for all her own food and even pitched in for some of the places we went to. It all went really well, though by the end of it I knew I wasn't ever doing that again haha. It really highlighted so many of the little reasons I wasn't happy in that relationship, she would just sigh or make a face about some random thing, and I would remember what it was like to have to deal with that all the time. My new wife smiles, laughs, and gives me blowjobs, and if she's unhappy about something talks to me about it lol. Way better. (Haha, I was was typing this my wife just text me a big thankful lovey message randomly, feels good)

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is that it is possible to have a fucking great divorce. I still think the biggest factor was quitting the marriage before we hated each other. We were together 11 years, but by 6-7 I knew we were both unhappy and just trying to make it work BECAUSE. 5 years of marriage counseling, ups and down, and just a lot of sadness and wasted time later we called it quits. I think if we had tried to make it work much longer it would have started to get ugly, it was already starting really.

Anyway, I know the popular theory around here is that I'm a (likeable?) idiot who just has everything randomly work out and fall in my lap, but I promise it takes work to make things happen, and lots of stuff doesn't work out, I just generally keep moving and focus on the positive, unless its some huge disaster like the car thing. I don't advocate that everyone should get a divorce immediately for everything, but if you can't sit down and look at yourself and your life and genuinely feel like you are happy more than you are unhappy, yeah, maybe its time to make some hard calls and big changes and see where the future takes you.
Nah that's what I meant, your story should be an inspiration (but definitely not an example :p) for anyone in the thread imo

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Onoes is leaving out a lot of details. His story is not inspirational at all. The fucking guy didn't know how to get health insurance for his kids.

Like they say, ignorance is bliss...

• 2Like
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I remember the time Onoes went on a car buying adventure that was catastrophic in ways I didn't know buying a car could be.

• 6Worf
  • 3Like
Reactions: 8 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Onoes was a disaster right before and immediately following the divorce but he turned it around. I'm happy for the dude.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
What did I do now?! :D

I'm like the living ideal for a great divorce. I proposed that I keep the house, as I was the only one who could afford it, but that I would also keep all debt (around $20,000), I also gave her about $4,000 to put a first/last months rent on a place, buy whatever she needs etc, and she walked away with her car (8 years old), and anything she wanted from the house. We would split the kids 50/50, and in AZ the child support calc said I should be paying her $330 a month total (7 years later its $475, we revisit it every 2 years, I get raises, she does not) which was way less than I would have guessed.

She got to walk away and start over with a car, furniture, and whatever else, plus a couple thousand in the bank. I got to keep a house but had to pay off debt and rebuy anything I needed. We were both sad about it, and the first couple of years were slightly tricky to figure out. We both got pissed, had disagreements, etc, but we always talked it through, and compromised when we had to. We definitely had a few times where it could have gone sideways and bad - like, when I started dating my current wife, she told me that she didn't agree with how fast our relationship was going, and she can't forbid me from dating or anything, but she can tell me that she doesn't want my girlfriend coming up to her house when I pick up the kids. I was like "You do not want to go down this road. If you want to set that ultimatum then my recourse will be that you no longer come up to my house, you can sit in your car outside my property and call when you get there. That's just the starting point. We both came from families with bad divorces, we both agreed we weren't going to let that happen. This is you starting that process, I don't want that, you don't want that, I'm asking you to reconsider the long term consequences this is going to create." And she backed down fast.

A couple of years later she is at my wedding, doing my current wife's hair and makeup while they both cry and hug and laugh together. We are all three in a Facebook messenger chat that is just them talking to each other 90% of the time. They don't hang out together or anything, but get along super well, to the degree that if something were to happen to me, I think they would continue co-parenting the kids.

But yeah, I can't remember if I said anything in here, but a couple of months ago I planned a weeklong trip on the East Coast, and I invited my ex-wife to come along (I felt bad she hit a money issue and her summer plans with the kids got cancelled). So, I paid for everything, and me, my current wife, my ex-wife, and our 2 boys flew to NC, and spent a week driving around Virginia, hitting tourist spots, and hanging out at the beach. She paid for all her own food and even pitched in for some of the places we went to. It all went really well, though by the end of it I knew I wasn't ever doing that again haha. It really highlighted so many of the little reasons I wasn't happy in that relationship, she would just sigh or make a face about some random thing, and I would remember what it was like to have to deal with that all the time. My new wife smiles, laughs, and gives me blowjobs, and if she's unhappy about something talks to me about it lol. Way better. (Haha, I was was typing this my wife just text me a big thankful lovey message randomly, feels good)

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is that it is possible to have a fucking great divorce. I still think the biggest factor was quitting the marriage before we hated each other. We were together 11 years, but by 6-7 I knew we were both unhappy and just trying to make it work BECAUSE. 5 years of marriage counseling, ups and down, and just a lot of sadness and wasted time later we called it quits. I think if we had tried to make it work much longer it would have started to get ugly, it was already starting really.

Anyway, I know the popular theory around here is that I'm a (likeable?) idiot who just has everything randomly work out and fall in my lap, but I promise it takes work to make things happen, and lots of stuff doesn't work out, I just generally keep moving and focus on the positive, unless its some huge disaster like the car thing. I don't advocate that everyone should get a divorce immediately for everything, but if you can't sit down and look at yourself and your life and genuinely feel like you are happy more than you are unhappy, yeah, maybe its time to make some hard calls and big changes and see where the future takes you.
Didn’t read all of this but you three sound realll close. Are you guys swinging together? 🤔

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Only thing I remember about Onoes is the horn hair.
And the car thing.
And the Jurassic Park truck.
And going down on the sweaty bushcow at a Ren Faire.
And something about giving his kids not normal names? Or not normal middle names?

Either way I agree with Alex. So many laughs but glad he seems to have a happy life!

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
And the car thing.
And something about giving his kids not normal names? Or not normal middle names?

Either way I agree with Alex. So many laughs but glad he seems to have a happy life!
Yeah, all that is accurate.

And no, no swinging with the Ex-wife at all, 0 interest from either side. We're totally cool to chat on a surface level, but I'm basically happy on the daily basis that we aren't together. When we were married I constantly felt rejected, like I was a burden to her, like she was putting up with me. My wife now makes me feel like I'm her world, and she's the luckiest girl alive to be with me. It's just night and day. So no, not currently, or ever again, fucking my ex wife.

• 8Like

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
Don't know if true but interesting plan. Collect off your Ex's social security.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
And the car thing.

Oh I forgot that he was super annoyingly straight edge in his younger days too!

Goatface

don't know if this fits here, as mostly 2nd hand info, but sorta nuts. this happened over course of about a year.

one of my friends' daughter married this sketchy guy and had a kid. i end up at the kid's 1st birthday party, but he isn't there. later that day, he told the girl he was done with the marriage and went on a bender that end up with him getting arrested with coke. he some how got out of that. they got lawyers, separated, she got custody of the kid and he got visitation.
daughter moved back into friend's house. drama happened at the 1st visitation at the house. friend told him, he could come pick the kid up at his house whenever, but if was going to come and stay at the house for the visit. would have to talk to him first. dude took it as friend wouldn't going to let him see the kid and got into argument. dude ended up leaving. called his lawyer and they explained to him he didn't have a right to hang out at the house. pretty sure he just didn't want to have to take the kid out.
A few days after that, friend see the guy drive by his house several times. come to find out, he had been drinking at one his friends places, drove by the house a few times, saw the girl's car wasn't there, then went to another friends, got drunk. he then left, got into a hit and run, ran from the cops, wrecked again. got arrested and they found a firearm in the car.
he is out, waiting on trial. the girl moved into her own place. he hasn't asked to see the kid in months.

• 3WTF
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 3 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Don't know if true but interesting plan. Collect off your Ex's social security.

I suspect the answer is no but if you can collect on your spouses social security does that apply both ways? Sign up for hers. If not that discover that you've been a woman this whole time and then sign up.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
don't know if this fits here, as mostly 2nd hand info, but sorta nuts. this happened over course of about a year.

one of my friends' daughter married this sketchy guy and had a kid. i end up at the kid's 1st birthday party, but he isn't there. later that day, he told the girl he was done with the marriage and went on a bender that end up with him getting arrested with coke. he some how got out of that. they got lawyers, separated, she got custody of the kid and he got visitation.
daughter moved back into friend's house. drama happened at the 1st visitation at the house. friend told him, he could come pick the kid up at his house whenever, but if was going to come and stay at the house for the visit. would have to talk to him first. dude took it as friend wouldn't going to let him see the kid and got into argument. dude ended up leaving. called his lawyer and they explained to him he didn't have a right to hang out at the house. pretty sure he just didn't want to have to take the kid out.
A few days after that, friend see the guy drive by his house several times. come to find out, he had been drinking at one his friends places, drove by the house a few times, saw the girl's car wasn't there, then went to another friends, got drunk. he then left, got into a hit and run, ran from the cops, wrecked again. got arrested and they found a firearm in the car.
he is out, waiting on trial. the girl moved into her own place. he hasn't asked to see the kid in months.

Hmmmmm.

Well, I hope you don't have to drive anywhere today either.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Aazrael

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Might as well air my new found issues in this place. While not married I am engaged and have been for 2 years. Found out today by reading a messege to her mother on her computer that she wants to move out etc.

While the last year has not been the greatest I still enjoy coming home from work and seeing her. She have had mental health problems the last 3 years and they have been getting worse I believe, she does not share all that much and probing does not yield much information. Last month her economy fell apart and she basically gets her sick leave salary going directly to the state for paying off her loans she has not been keeping up with.

So as of right now I'm basically paying for everything in the house and everything associciated with that (animals/cars/insurance). Confronted her after I noticed the messege and asked what the reason for her wanting to leave was and I get the "i dont feel like I can get back on my feet in this house". That she was overwhelmed by chores (dishes/washing?) all the while I've been working 6 days a week for a while due to huge workload.

Looking at the house right now all the "issues" she cant cope with is her own hobbies thats taking over, aquarium and plants mainly. Yet I got some blame that I don't help out enough, which I haven't because I saw that she was home 24/7 and I was working and thought she could find time for dishes. But then again I have never had mental health problems so kinda unsure how that messes things up.

I don't really want to seperate so like a good boy I told her I could help more at home with the stuff she is having isssues with. But I think the ship has sailed. If you are considering moving out I don't think theres much one can do to stop it, at least thats how I view it.

She has no economy and I have paid for basically everything besides a few furnitures so most will be left here, like the car, house and tvs etc.

The sad part is we have animals together and she will 100% take the dogs with her at the least. Which will suck but 2 of the 3 were hers before we met. I get to keep the cats though I think she said.

Not sure how much I should fight for this, I tend to see stuff in a logical sense most of the time. If she does not want to live here then it might be better for both if she moves, but in the end I'll be really sad anyway. Without her plants that consume tons of electricity and all the other costs of animals etc I'll get a much better economy myself living here alone.

Not sure if I need advice but wanted to blow off some thoughts anyway.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
You must be European or something, not how an English speaker would use the word economy but I like it. "This poor sap has no economy!"

It's not a great sign that you don't have the communication in your relationship to discuss problems well before a partner considering leaving. We sometimes cling to things we shouldn't but without growth it doesn't sound like you guys are on the right path for a productive long term relationship IMO. On the positive side you are discovering this prior to marriage and/or kids.

• 6Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 6 users

Aazrael

You must be European or something, not how an English speaker would use the word economy but I like it. "This poor sap has no economy!"

It's not a great sign that you don't have the communication in your relationship to discuss problems well before a partner considering leaving. We sometimes cling to things we shouldn't but without growth it doesn't sound like you guys are on the right path for a productive long term relationship IMO. On the positive side you are discovering this prior to marriage and/or kids.
Yea I'm from Sweden and probably use the wrong terms sometimes.

It's been known from the start that she does not share her problems with those closest to her. Her online friends probably knows of issues before me or even her mother. I'm probably doing badly by not asking the right questions either, but never thought I was perfect.

And you are correct, by looking back it's been stagnating since the pandemic and probably a little before that. She has not worked for almost 3 years now I believe and it does not seem it's an issue that will solve itself any time soon.

I have been single most of my life and finally found someone that made me happy but as of now it seems it's not to be. If she's ready to move on I think I will have to come to terms with that. Can't say the last few months have been very happy but I always think "it will get better next week".

Kids gave not been a topic as of yet but I'm not getting kids and not being able to support them, maybe that's something gnawing on her but I have no idea. I grew up poor and don't want to do the same if I have any kids.

Omi43221

Trakanon Raider
Yea I'm from Sweden and probably use the wrong terms sometimes.

It's been known from the start that she does not share her problems with those closest to her. Her online friends probably knows of issues before me or even her mother. I'm probably doing badly by not asking the right questions either, but never thought I was perfect.

And you are correct, by looking back it's been stagnating since the pandemic and probably a little before that. She has not worked for almost 3 years now I believe and it does not seem it's an issue that will solve itself any time soon.

I have been single most of my life and finally found someone that made me happy but as of now it seems it's not to be. If she's ready to move on I think I will have to come to terms with that. Can't say the last few months have been very happy but I always think "it will get better next week".

Kids gave not been a topic as of yet but I'm not getting kids and not being able to support them, maybe that's something gnawing on her but I have no idea. I grew up poor and don't want to do the same if I have any kids.
Dude your post is blazin with red flags. (Pun intended) I'll cut to the end of the chase, if you think marriage will fix this or any of these issues are going away you are sorely mistaken. Get out!

So despite her having a bad economy she seems to have no appreciation that you are providing for her. I'll bet that feels great. She has mental health issues but YOU aren't giving her the space to work on them. I'll bet that feels incredible. Oh and her communication level is that she expects you to be a mind reader. Get Out!

• 8Like

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
I once spent about 3 years engaged to a woman who, early in our relationship, spent a month in an inpatient mental health facility.

You mentioned mental health issues. I've learned to trust the professionals on these things. Neurotypical women are crazy enough, maintaining a functional relationship with a woman who's actually been diagnosed? I don't think its actually possible.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Dude your post is blazin with red flags. (Pun intended) I'll cut to the end of the chase, if you think marriage will fix this or any of these issues are going away you are sorely mistaken. Get out!

So despite her having a bad economy she seems to have no appreciation that you are providing for her. I'll bet that feels great. She has mental health issues but YOU aren't giving her the space to work on them. I'll bet that feels incredible. Oh and her communication level is that she expects you to be a mind reader. Get Out!
This. Aazrael Aazrael You're relationship is dead. With her lack of respect for you and the lack of communication its never going anywhere good.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Aazrael

This. Aazrael Aazrael You're relationship is dead. With her lack of respect for you and the lack of communication its never going anywhere good.
The economic part is fairly recent but yea I don't disagree with you all. The little she opened up today the explanation was she felt bad that I had to support her etc.

But yea I see what you all are saying. The thing that really made me come terms with it all was that she said she felt trapped in the house (which isn't the best house by any standard but hard to live any cheaper) and hindering her growth of maybe moving/traveling... yea when you work full time again that's a topic to consider but with 0 dollars in it just felt like a stupid thing to mention.

I don't have a goal that I need to be married or having kids, if it happens it happens but I don't think thus is the relationship to fix. Right now I'm mostly sad not being able to have the dogs close by but I guess that will pass, not like it's kids that need supporting.

Will see how this pans out, she's been in contact with her mother and will probably move out shortly, still hasn't come and talked even though I offered it.

In the end and thinking back, it will probably be for the best to go separate ways.

• 5Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Tough break, but yeah best you can do is let her go figure it out (or not).

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users