Marriage and the Power of Divorce

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Earlier today my wife and took a sauna together. She was feeling very frisky and asked if I was up for fooling around. We have never really fucked in the sauna for obvious heat related reasons, but today I was feeling good and I really try to not decline when my wife initiates. Somehow my wife managed to call our 14 year old on the discord app, I have no idea how she did this.

Anyway fast forward to later this morning when my wife was dropping our boys off at practice and my 14 year old says, "Mom can I talk to you?" He was embarrassed and nervous to tell her, we are not sure what he heard. But he definitely heard "fuck me." The call only lasted a minute and we weren't do anything super kinky or role playing in any way so it can't be that bad other than he knows it isn't always lovey dovey and his Mom says "fuck me." I told my wife don't worry, it isn't as bad as him walking in on us and seeing it. I am not happy it happened, but I am not really upset either. I am sure we will all laugh about it 10years or so.
You wife brings her phone into the sauna? The fuck?

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
You wife brings her phone into the sauna? The fuck?
Lol normally no, she usually sets her timer and leaves it just outside. I think she had it wrapped in her towel and forgot because she was planning on seducing me. Funny how going off routine can really create some unique moments.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I've been debating on saying anything, I think I'm going for the disconnect route and just be the c and e in law only. See ya at Easter and see ya at Christmas. No birthday parties no Thanksgiving, just the key holidays and see ya next year.
Assert dominance here or be ready for them to start filling your wife's head full of disrespectful bullshit. She is already defending this shit as it is. Sack up and let them know that this sort of shit is unacceptable for family. They knew damn well what they were doing because they acted coy when you caught them on it. It will cause some drama short term, but long term you will be a much more happily married man and keep your pride.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
So around May or so the in-laws had a get together. I was talking with the father in law about how all us guys should get together and do a fishing day trip around fathers day.

Fast forward to the day before Fathers day and my brother in law text me, hey what time are you heading up tomorrow, I had no idea what he was talking about and found out that they had planned the fishing trip but I was never invited. He spilled the beans about the trip I wasn't supposed to know about and plain old ignored the subject after asking what time I'd be heading over there.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it but the whole shit soured me a bit. Talked with my wife about it and she was saying oh he just wanted to take his boys with. But they (the in laws) never once in our 16 years together have done anything on fathers day. But in the same year I suggest something to do, they all do it minus me, hard to not take that personally.
My situation is similar but also different. I know my father in-law likes me, but he has an odd way of showing it. For context he never said "I love you" to his kids until I came along 25 years ago. It is obvious he loves his kids, he just struggled to say it because his parents never said it etc. Anyway, about a decade ago there was a car show my father in-law really wanted to go to, but his son couldn't go because of work. I give two shits about cars but I thought I would be nice and offer to go as a fill in for his son. His response "your not my son." My response was "you are right, I will remember that in the future when I try to do something nice for you." We have never talked about it since, but we have also never hung out one on one.

He does shit with his son all the time, and that is fine I honestly do not mind that the lines are drawn where they are. My father in-law comes to all my kids sporting events, science fairs, band concerts etc. He is a good man and he knows I love his daughter and think that is all he needs from me. My mother in-law on the other hand loves me and goes out of her way to do nice things for me and make me feel loved. Overall I am pretty lucky when it comes to in-laws, they have never once told me how to act or live my life.

Wantonsoup, I am sorry you are dealing with this shit. I don't know your personality so this advice comes from how I would do things. I would confront all of them and make them draw clear lines going forward. I wouldn't be super combative, but I also would not accept anything less than a clear and definitive answer.

• 3Like

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
My situation is similar but also different. I know my father in-law likes me, but he has an odd way of showing it. For context he never said "I love you" to his kids until I came along 25 years ago. It is obvious he loves his kids, he just struggled to say it because his parents never said it etc. Anyway, about a decade ago there was a car show my father in-law really wanted to go to, but his son couldn't go because of work. I give two shits about cars but I thought I would be nice and offer to go as a fill in for his son. His response "your not my son." My response was "you are right, I will remember that in the future when I try to do something nice for you." We have never talked about it since, but we have also never hung out one on one.
Have you tried butt-dialing him while you're doing his daughter, just a thought!

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Wantonsoup95

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Talking with my wife about the whole thing, she agrees with how I feel over it. Is ok with me stepping back from going to functions there. By stepping back, I will not prioritize their gatherings, if my family has something I'll be going to that instead. Before this we'd alternate holidays with families.

Thank you all for the advice.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Are you each going to your own family separately on those holidays? Thats a recipe for her family to poison her head with disrespectful shit and resentment. Not saying your wife can't recognize and ignore it, but be on guard for that kind of crap.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Talking with my wife about the whole thing, she agrees with how I feel over it. Is ok with me stepping back from going to functions there. By stepping back, I will not prioritize their gatherings, if my family has something I'll be going to that instead. Before this we'd alternate holidays with families.

Thank you all for the advice.

You should still alternate holidays with the families and you should all show up as a family. You married the daughter, not the dad or brothers; if they have a problem with you then what they want more than anything would be for your family to visit them without you in tow. Don't give them that satisfaction. Also, doing things you don't like for your wife and kids is part of being a stoic adult man. Teach your kids by your example, don't let them be taught by your in-laws' shitty examples.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Wantonsoup95

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Are you each going to your own family separately on those holidays? Thats a recipe for her family to poison her head with disrespectful shit and resentment. Not saying your wife can't recognize and ignore it, but be on guard for that kind of crap.

No, she'll go to which ever one I'm going to.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Wantonsoup95 Wantonsoup95 not counting this recent shitfest, how do your in-laws treat you normally? Has there been tension over the years? Justified or not, from their point of view do they have a reason to dislike you? Does your wife's Dad think she could have done better? How does he treat your children? Is her Dad the ring leader of the dislike or does it come from one of the brothers? Or is it the Mother in-law pulling all the strings? I think some added context would lead to better advice.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like

Wantonsoup95

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's all been good in the past, I've not heard anything bad. No kids to get in the middle of this mess.

I was just sick of sitting around in the living rooms talking doing nothing so I suggested an actual thing to do.

• 2Like

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
It's all been good in the past, I've not heard anything bad. No kids to get in the middle of this mess.

I was just sick of sitting around in the living rooms talking doing nothing so I suggested an actual thing to do.
Well in that case here is my advice, again it is how I would do things based on my personality. I do not shy away from confrontation, so I would confront the father in-law at the very least. I would NOT do it in a shit shitty combative accusatory way, I would calmly ask "why I was excluded?" I would then follow up with clarifying/probing questions. I would not accept any response with out explanation and reasoning.

I would also 1000% make sure your wife is on board with any outcome, because shit like this can go bad quick. Is your wife Ride or Die?

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Well in that case here is my advice, again it is how I would do things based on my personality. I do not shy away from confrontation, so I would confront the father in-law at the very least. I would NOT do it in a shit shitty combative accusatory way, I would calmly ask "why I was excluded?" I would then follow up with clarifying/probing questions. I would not accept any response with out explanation and reasoning.

I would also 1000% make sure your wife is on board with any outcome, because shit like this can go bad quick. Is your wife Ride or Die?

What a waste of time.

He was excluded because he's not his son. Son in law is fine, but father/son shit doesn't need to always extent to marriage. Sometimes it does...a lot of times it doesn't.

The guy doesn't owe you any explanation for not wanting to spend time with you. Doesn't matter the reason. Starting this shit will lead to a gigantic rift and it ain't worth it.

There's literally nothing to be gained from this, and only a shitload of strife that his wife will be in the middle of.

• 9Like
Reactions: 8 users

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
What a waste of time.

He was excluded because he's not his son. Son in law is fine, but father/son shit doesn't need to always extent to marriage. Sometimes it does...a lot of times it doesn't.

The guy doesn't owe you any explanation for not wanting to spend time with you. Doesn't matter the reason. Starting this shit will lead to a gigantic rift and it ain't worth it.

There's literally nothing to be gained from this, and only a shitload of strife that his wife will be in the middle of.
So what is your advice? Do nothing? Say nothing? Fair enough.

I am not built that way, which is why I said it was what I would do. I hate sweeping shit under the rug and I understand that choosing my course of action is a double edged sword. It is also why I said make sure your wife is ride or die.

I would rather not speak to them again versus feel unwanted/disliked in their presence, I couldn't live with myself if I had to be fake in front of them the rest of our lives. Remember it was Wantonsoup95's idea, so I totally understand why being excluded felt personal.

Last edited:

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
So what is your advice? Do nothing? Say nothing? Fair enough.

I am not built that way, which is why I said it was what I would do. I hate sweeping shit under the rug and I understand that choosing my course of action is a double edged sword. It is also why I said make sure your wife is ride or die.

I would rather not speak to them again versus feel unwanted/disliked in their presence, I couldn't live with myself if I had to be fake in front of them the rest of our lives. Remember it was Wantonsoup95's idea, so I totally understand why being excluded felt personal.

My idea is exactly what he's doing. If they don't want to be around you, don't be around them. You're not family. You starting shit with your in-laws affects exactly one person. And what you are saying is that you don't love her enough to override your own self control.

I don't tolerate disrespect either, but let's be fucking real here. Starting shit is going to accomplish nothing. You're never going to change anyone's mind, so why start the conversation? All you're doing is gonna make your wife's life hell for no reason. All because you're "disrespected." That's jogger shit. Being the man means you calmly stand up, walk away, and never bring it up again because you don't interact with them again unless they ask.

*Fixed a pronoun

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
My idea is exactly what he's doing. If they don't want to be around you, don't be around them. You're not family. You starting shit with your in-laws affects exactly one person. And what you are saying is that you don't love her enough to override your own self control.

I don't tolerate disrespect either, but let's be fucking real here. Starting shit is going to accomplish nothing. You're never going to change anyone's mind, so why start the conversation? All you're doing is gonna make your wife's life hell for no reason. All because you're "disrespected." That's jogger shit. Being the man means you calmly stand up, walk away, and never bring it up again because you don't interact with them again unless they ask.

*Fixed a pronoun
Also you don't want to put yourself in the position where your wife has to choose between you and her family, at your provocation. She may well choose you, but at what cost? Do you want to drive a wedge between your wife and her family, which will just be blamed on you?

Much better to keep mouth shut, be her husband when she visits her family (i.e. you just stay out of it completely, stay quiet, let her interact with her family) and if/when they start shit with you, it'll be 100% their fault. Then she will have the opportunity to defend you at her own prompting, which she will not blame you for.

Do the smart thing.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Wantonsoup95

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm 100% fine with people not liking me. I don't control them.

The line is clear where I stand and I intend to waste no effort on that other side of the line from now going forward.

Wife is for sure ride or die with me. The only thing she has said is going to zero events will make things uncomfortable. So compromise is just a reduced priority to making their holidays.

I ain't showing up and avoiding people, it'll just be a give nothing take nothing relationship. Treat the shit like a work party.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm 100% fine with people not liking me. I don't control them.

The line is clear where I stand and I intend to waste no effort on that other side of the line from now going forward.

Wife is for sure ride or die with me. The only thing she has said is going to zero events will make things uncomfortable. So compromise is just a reduced priority to making their holidays.

I ain't showing up and avoiding people, it'll just be a give nothing take nothing relationship. Treat the shit like a work party.
I still think you're overreacting a bit UNLESS this is some sort of pattern or there is more to the story than you've let on. I think the fact that your BIL assumed you were going is even evidence that your in-laws do like you, or at least her brothers do. Next time you see him I would just say something like "hey next time y'all go fishing I'd love to come"

Khane

Got something right about marriage
There's only one thing to do. Facebook post

Me and the boys this weekend!

1691029352910.png

• 5Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 5 users