Marriage and the Power of Divorce

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
I have never heard of that social norm my entire life. You are way out there on this whole name thing.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
If this was 1850 i would have punched her long time ago and gotten a younger wife, or have a series of mistresses with multiple children.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
Social norm where? You are ESL, correct? Where are you from, do you currently live there, and is your wife from there also?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
If this was 1850 i would have punched her long time ago and gotten a younger wife, or have a series of mistresses with multiple children.
Now you are thinking dude!

Sometimes a person just needs to be punched. The way she is acting, she's practically asking for it.

iannis

Musty Nester
The woman carries it, she ultimately gets to name it should she choose not to share that privilege. In fact, you ARE naming it. And that's non-negotiable. With your last name. The woman does have the weaker position.

This varies culture by culture, and even within families of similar culture.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Don't listen to all this crap. There's no reason your wife should be putting you through this. You might not be perfect but she married you and shouldn't be trying to turn you and your family against each other. And you can't just let her walk all over you with the baby name and the divorce threats and the crazy shit with your family. If you blame yourself this woman will run your life for the next ten years or worse.
From what Lendarios has said, I don't know how you draw this conclusion about the family. It seems like the family, at least her mother, has shit on her multiple times and she hasn't been able to forgive that. Not exactly going out of her way to cause strife. They should definitely move on, but I don't get this cheerleader routine.

You should definitely invite your wife to this forum, Lend. Let's get a full take for our armchair analysis enjoyment.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Its not as big a deal as you would think. I watched all 3 of mine. One by c-section. I even took pictures of the c-section.
Dude, I nearly pass out when channel surfing and I flip through one of those surgical operation shows.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I don't think its a matter of social norm or laws or anything else. If he really feels passionate about the middle name (who gives a fuck about anybody's middle name?) and the wife is basically like "fuck you, I'm naming it what I want." Then that tells you a lot about that wife. No matter what your wife thinks of your mom, your mom is still your mom and you need to tell her to keep her fucking mouth shut around her. And that goes for your mom too.

If the wife just tells you no to everything and you just gladly go along with it, you deserve whatever happens. Take a vacation to your moms house or a friends house for a few weeks and see if she cares. If she doesn't, then you know whats up.

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah, all I really meant is that social norms vary so widely that there isn't really any such thing as a social norm. There's what your parents and grandparents did... and we all sort of pretend that's what everyone does.

For example, I think naming a son Jr, II, III, etc is beyond tasteless and would never do it. And I'm very firmly white and have known plenty of , Jr's and a handful of II's and III's. I mean what the fuck. You don't get a II or III after your name unless you have a King, Duke, Earl, or Emperor in front of it.

The inability to name a child bodes unwell for a marriage. heh.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Because her point of view can be fixed by sitting down with my mom and talking their problems. Whichwe did btw, we sat down and talked to my mom about all the stuff she has done and at that point in time my wife told me that it was ok, she forgave her.Turns out she didn't forgive her.
emphasis added

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
So, did your mom apologize or admit any wrong doing? Did your mom stop doing what the wife didn't like? And vice versa? If not, maybe that's why it's still an ongoing problem. Just talking doesn't always do that much if people feel they didn't get a satisfying resolution.

Or maybe your wife just can't forgive under any circumstances and/or she's being irrational.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
So a ~70 year old man came into work this morning looking for my boss. He was looking for my boss' wife's number because she is a family lawyer and he lost it when he dropped his cell phone "in the commode". I told him he wasn't around and he glances down at my hand and sees a ring on my finger and says something like "You're married?, thats a shame. Don't save any money because if you do once she find out how much you have she's going to divorce you and take everything you have. I've been married 49 years and she's taking everything I own, all my money and my house." Thought you red pillers might enjoy that.

As far as lendarios situation goes, as others have said it sounds like you both are being very childish and unreasonable. It seems naming the child after your mother is very important to you, have you sat down and discussed with her what the name means to you and why it is so important to you or has it always just been "if I can't pick the first name, you pick the first name and I pick the middle name". If the two of you sit down together and have an honest discussion about it maybe you can explain to her why it means so much and if that still isn't enough , well there is nothing really you can do at that point other than know you're stuck in a relationship in which there is no compromise.

Me personally, I think naming YOUR child (your, meaning yours and hers) after your still alive mother is a little strange, but maybe it is a cultural thing. But ask yourself this, would you not have a problem with her naming your first son after her father? Remember its not just your first daughter, its hers also.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
DT... My mother apologized to my wife, and the over all feeling was one of resolution.

So what can I do? when it actually is not true, when she hasn't forgotten / forgiven.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
DT... My mother apologized to my wife, and the over all feeling was one of resolution.

So what can I do? when it actually is not true, when she hasn't forgotten / forgiven.
We've all already told you what to do. You just don't want to listen. You're expecting some kind of magic silver bullet that's going to fix everything for you. This marriage is not worth fixing. Walk away.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
So a ~70 year old man came into work this morning looking for my boss. He was looking for my boss' wife's number because she is a family lawyer and he lost it when he dropped his cell phone "in the commode". I told him he wasn't around and he glances down at my hand and sees a ring on my finger and says something like "You're married?, thats a shame. Don't save any money because if you do once she find out how much you have she's going to divorce you and take everything you have. I've been married 49 years and she's taking everything I own, all my money and my house." Thought you red pillers might enjoy that.

As far as lendarios situation goes, as others have said it sounds like you both are being very childish and unreasonable. It seems naming the child after your mother is very important to you, have you sat down and discussed with her what the name means to you and why it is so important to you or has it always just been "if I can't pick the first name, you pick the first name and I pick the middle name". If the two of you sit down together and have an honest discussion about it maybe you can explain to her why it means so much and if that still isn't enough , well there is nothing really you can do at that point other than know you're stuck in a relationship in which there is no compromise.

Me personally, I think naming YOUR child (your, meaning yours and hers) after your still alive mother is a little strange, but maybe it is a cultural thing. But ask yourself this, would you not have a problem with her naming your first son after her father? Remember its not just your first daughter, its hers also.
I have no issues with any names or gender names she could have picked, for boy or girl.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
We've all already told you what to do. You just don't want to listen. You're expecting some kind of magic silver bullet that's going to fix everything for you. This marriage is not worth fixing. Walk away.
Did you miss the part about the divorce lawyer?

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Don't listen to all this crap. There's no reason your wife should be putting you through this.You might not be perfectbut she married you and shouldn't be trying to turn you and your family against each other. And you can't just let her walk all over you with the baby name and the divorce threats and the crazy shit with your family. If you blame yourself this woman will run your life for the next ten years or worse.
We can conclusively say Lendarios has obvious flaws; he decided she was a good person to marry AND have TWO kids with.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
To switch it up, I present you all with this gem:

Being a Stay-at-Home Parent is a Luxury ??" For Your Spouse
Jimmies are now officially rustled. Though I was initially just annoyed at this lazy bitch's failed logic, the comments have altogether caused me to lose my faith in humanity.

And suddenly, when I read those words, it all made sense. Well, of course, it would be a luxury to the spouse who works out of the home to have a partner who stays at home with the children. Someone who is always there to take care of the inevitable days of sickness, arrange the doctor's appointments, make sure the cupboards are stocked, and heck, to ensure that no one steals the FedEx package off of the porch. And then - goodness! - to have someone to save you the worry of sending your kids into the world, someone to always be there to kiss a scraped knee and take care of the potty training and maybe even have a hot meal waiting for you when you come home?
Tell you what Honey, if you think making doctors' appointments and picking up FedEx packages is a "luxury" for me while I work 50 hours a week so that you can buy those shoes in said package, how about you get a job instead and we can both enjoy this "luxury" while Consuella handles things for $10/hour? After all, I shouldn't be the only one to enjoy "luxury".

From the comments:

Amanda I am so happy to know I am not the only one without children and stays home. I had a job that stressed me out so much that my husband and I fought all the time and it stressed him out too. I got my certification to be a yoga instructor and teach a couple of classes a week. I also feel that my husband benefits from me staying home, I am able to cook, clean and get all the little things done
lol.. rough life. Wait, if staying home creates luxury for your husband, but working was too stressful, does that mean your husband has a luxuriously stressful life?