Marvel Heroes 20xx

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
A little behind on this game, can it legitimately be played without paying for anything or is it balls-crushing if you don't?
You will have, at minimum, 3 characters if you beat it with your first. But there aren't any pay2win mechanics in the game.

Well unless you get fuckscrewed and get the same character off the quest rewards.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Morefin, I saw your message in game. Every time I try to respond or friend you I get an error message.

Scyfi

N00b
Scyfi in game, just started on Scarlet Which. Will see what I end up with and possibly buy some other characters. Hit me up in game still low level.

Goatface

A little behind on this game, can it legitimately be played without paying for anything or is it balls-crushing if you don't?
the biggest issue as a freebie is storage space. shared inventory and bank for all toons unless you buy upgrades

edit - who the hell patches in the middle of night on a Friday

The Marvel Heroes servers will be going offline for a small game update tonight at 12:00AM PDT

6/7: 12:00AM Maintenance
Hey all,
We're going to be bringing down the servers tonight for some quick maintenance and a small patch. Expected downtime is up to two hours and patch notes are coming soon.
Thanks for your patience,
Ryolnir

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
Heroes and Costumes do drop as loot also, I got a Capt America costume a bit ago. the stat "% to special item find" helps with those drops.

the biggest issue as a freebie is storage space. shared inventory and bank for all toons unless you buy upgrades
Don't bother combining/saving the crafting mats. You get more than you could ever use late game. Just sell em to the store or donate for xp. Even though they just sell for 5 credits/xp each no matter the level. I have a lot more money after not combining them.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
So I'm level 12 now...

Every time I play this game I'm logged in for about an hour before I realize I am bored out of my fucking mind and I have no idea wtf I am even doing. Oh, and my wrists feel the pain of a thousand tiny wolverines slashing my tendons.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Just beat Doom and I am only 21 ... seems a bit early. I guess this doesn't have different difficulty modes like Diablo 3?

MsBehavn_sl

has an outie
The way people talk it doesn't; which is odd since I've heard so many people complain the PVE ends at lvl 28-30... which is exactly where D3 ended story-wise.

Lenwen

Silver Squire
I consider the terminals in each hubs as the higher difficulty, with the avengers terminal being nightmare, xavier terminal being hell, and the shield terminal being inferno.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
So I am bugged, cannot invite to my group ot add a friend. I was about to drop some cash on this game, but fuck them until they can figure this out. Just DL'd POE, will be playing that until they resolve my issue.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
So I put a decent amount of time in it last night, playing Hawkeye, and the gameplay just feels bland. I mean, I know there is a story there but it just feels like mindless clicking and button mashing with no point. There is nothing exciting about the drops, even when it's rare (outside of costumes, is there anything that physically changes the way your character looks?). I'm just running around, doing quests and killing roaming bad guys. Lack of customization means there are a ton of the same character running around which ruins immersion. At least in DC Universe there is ways to change your look but I'm not seeing that here. I also agree with some others, the boss fights are uninspiring, at least at the lower levels.

At this point it just feels like generic diablo clone with marvel characters and not that great of a clone to begin with.

ETA: How the hell do you patch in this game? It won't let me log in because it says I need the latest patch but Steam says the game is up to date.

So I put a decent amount of time in it last night, playing Hawkeye, and the gameplay just feels bland. I mean, I know there is a story there but it just feels like mindless clicking and button mashing with no point. There is nothing exciting about the drops, even when it's rare (outside of costumes, is there anything that physically changes the way your character looks?). I'm just running around, doing quests and killing roaming bad guys. Lack of customization means there are a ton of the same character running around which ruins immersion. At least in DC Universe there is ways to change your look but I'm not seeing that here. I also agree with some others, the boss fights are uninspiring, at least at the lower levels.

At this point it just feels like generic diablo clone with marvel characters and not that great of a clone to begin with.
Pretty much agree.. Its fun for a while to beat stuff up with a marvel hero, but they could have done better with the arpg side of teh whole thing, they brought nothing new to the Arpg table.Poe still wins that battle.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The size of these "minor" patches is getting pretty lame.

I've gotten Colossus up to 23, and the majority of his skills are useless and low damage. Running around outside Fort Striker I can round up a pretty big pack of mobs and it will take all my Spirit to kill them with the AoE foot stomp skill. I'd kill them faster just by using the last basic attack (Osmium Punch...which is great since it regens Armor). He has two skills that would appear to be badass, if you can believe the tooltip damage, both are 3x as strong as anything else, but they have a very short range (even for melee), and most of the time it seems they do no or very little dmg (but sometimes they one shot mobs). Just seems very inconsistent. Its odd when I've been fighting mobs that use a Fire attack, for some reason I recall Colossus not being affected by Fire/Heat in a bad way....like it would be a bad idea for someone to try and harm him with such an attack.

The game would be a lot more fun (I think) if it had an engine like DCUO / CoH.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider

I've gotten Colossus up to 23, and the majority of his skills are useless and low damage. Running around outside Fort Striker I can round up a pretty big pack of mobs and it will take all my Spirit to kill them with the AoE foot stomp skill. I'd kill them faster just by using the last basic attack (Osmium Punch...which is great since it regens Armor). He has two skills that would appear to be badass, if you can believe the tooltip damage, both are 3x as strong as anything else, but they have a very short range (even for melee), and most of the time it seems they do no or very little dmg (but sometimes they one shot mobs). Just seems very inconsistent. Its odd when I've been fighting mobs that use a Fire attack, for some reason I recall Colossus not being affected by Fire/Heat in a bad way....like it would be a bad idea for someone to try and harm him with such an attack.

I agree and I see now why there was a lot of disappointment when it was announced the game was going to be top down (I think very early on this was supposed to be more like DCUO). Not that a game like this can't be good, but I can't see anything that makes it stand out. The devs are obviously hoping the license is the pull but I think you need to at least make it more interesting than what's there.

Celebrindal

Golden Squire

I'm a complete noob to this game, I just started yesterday, but would it be worth investing gearing your Colossus with spirit? and upping them with crafting?

Goatface

melees seem to pretty much suck vs boss. very sad when rocket raccoon tops the hulk etc. guess they want people to think he is a badass for the movie or something.

as a MUA game it is pretty good as a mmo arpg is blows. it is missing stuff that has been mmo/rpg norms for like a decade.

as far as i can tell the only custom upgrades to looks you can do is add a particle effects. may have sparked nerd rage but they should have at least about ability to change colors of the basic costume. doesn't mater where i go, there are 5 purple hawkeyes standing around.
not read any numbers, but seems to come out of the gate soft. hardly seen any press for it other than sites talking about the downtime.
i still enjoy punching shit in the face for free, so i will keep playing it for a while long. just want to see what their content plans are other than adding more toons.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
It's supposed to be a superhero MMO/Diablo hybrid and yet is missing the two vital aspects of those type of games:

Superhero MMO - Customization (extremely limited)
Diablo clone - Loot and gearing (very vanilla, boring in most aspects)

Hate to say it, but this is an example of why you shouldn't have already established heroes (spiderman, hawkeye, etc) as playable characters because obviously there is only so many ways you can customize. It may work in a single player game like Ultimate Alliance, but in an MMO where you have 25 Things and Storms, it gets watered down.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
just make costumes that grant 1 unique ability? loot and customization problem solved?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I just played a Hawkeye up to level 10 and had some fun.

a_skeleton_03 is the user name if you people want to add me as a friend.

I want Deadpool but I think he will suck as melee.