Marvel TV series coming to Netflix

Braen

<Medals Crew>
Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Jessica Jones TV Series Coming to Netflix; Leading Into The Defenders Miniseries - IGN

From the Article_sl said:
Marvel is going big on the TV show front. Really big. The company has signed a deal with Netflix to produce four separate new live-action TV series - Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist and Jessica Jones. The four shows will then lead into a team-up miniseries, The Defenders.

Daredevil will come first in 2015, followed by Jessica Jones, Iron Fist and Luke Cage. Netflix notes "the epic will unfold over multiple years of original programming," and that it will take "taking Netflix members deep into the gritty world of heroes and villains of Hell's Kitchen, New York," indicating the series will be very interconnected (Hell's Kitchen is of course Dardevil's traditional home in the comics). Each series has a minimum commitment of 13 episodes each. The Defenders is described as "a dream team of self-sacrificing, heroic characters."

Marvel Television in association with ABC Television Studios will produce the series.

"This deal is unparalleled in its scope and size, and reinforces our commitment to deliver Marvel's brand, content and characters across all platforms of storytelling. Netflix offers an incredible platform for the kind of rich storytelling that is Marvel's specialty," said Alan Fine, President of Marvel Entertainment. "This serialized epic expands the narrative possibilities of on-demand television and gives fans the flexibility to immerse themselves how and when they want in what's sure to be a thrilling and engaging adventure."

"Marvel's movies, such as Iron Man and Marvel's The Avengers, are huge favorites on our service around the world. Like Disney, Marvel is a known and loved brand that travels," said Netflix Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos. "With House of Cards and our other original series, we have pioneered new approaches to storytelling and to global distribution and we're thrilled to be working with Disney and Marvel to take our brand of television to new levels with a creative project of this magnitude."

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Man. While this is definitely good news, particularly the Netflix part (meaning we'll get all the episodes instead of a pilot and "see how the ratings are" model), but at some point something they put out has to be awful, doesn't it? I know some of you aren't thrilled with Agents of SHIELD, but it is entertaining enough, and gaining steam I think. But they can't keep putting out stuff worth watching forever, can they? A terrible director, or an unlikable main actor, or just a terrible story has to pop up at some point.

Still, I'd rather they keep pushing forward and trying to make shows instead of just sitting back and letting their movies do all the storytelling. Maybe they are better at this than I realize.

I had no idea who Jessica Jones was, and would have vastly preferred Jessica Drew, but from reading her background it obviously makes sense that they'd go with Jones for this series of shows. I'd be particularly impressed if they could somehow work in the part where she's in the hospital as a girl and the Fantastic Four are fighting Galactus outside her window, but I'm guessing licensing probably wouldn't even allow Galactus to fight anyone Marvel owns.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Never a fan of those characters but absolutely love the news.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Not a huge fan of the characters--rather I'm more excited at the steady death of the normal media industry thanks to producers now actually turning to internet release sources more. Hopefully in 30 years our grand kids will be asking what a "TV channel" is. Can't happen soon enough, the stranglehold on this industry has killed so many quality shows that should have gotten made, and turned countless others into shit thanks to some idiot who controls broadcasting being able affect the people with talent who actually make shows.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I want season 5 of Heroes and Season 4 of Deadwood. MAKE IT HAPPEN, NETFLIX!

Also, let's throw in something silly for good measure. Um... Quincy M.E. (The Golden Years). It's probably way too far along to must call it Season 9.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Excellent news indeed, that line-up makes up the majority of the list of Marvel characters that I like as well as DC. Please let the Jessica Jones series be at least inspired by Alias MAX, and have nothing whatsoever to do with the utter shit it became after moving off MAX and being renamed The Pulse.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I feel they only threw Jessica Jones in there cuz she's a chick and they needed someone. I'd rather they used someone like She-Hulk instead.

Column_sl

shitlord
Shes tied in with Luke Cage... its not random person they picked out of a hat.

It's obvious they are going for the Alias storyline with her.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Shes tied in with Luke Cage... its not random person they picked out of a hat.

It's obvious they are going for the Alias storyline with her.
Which is awesome, though so much will rest on who they cast for her. Too bad they won't be able to include her crush on Peter Parker, or this awesome scene with him.

tumblr_m4nzltp0YF1qlfih8.jpg

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
Man. While this is definitely good news, particularly the Netflix part (meaning we'll get all the episodes instead of a pilot and "see how the ratings are" model), but at some point something they put out has to be awful, doesn't it?
I'm hoping Netflix got that out of their system with that vampire series or whatever...Hemlock Grove. That was some horrible TV right there...And after googling to remember its name I find out it has a second season coming.
frown.png

Netflix is going balls to the wall, folks.