Marvel Universe stuff

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Belief has been for some time that Inhumans would get shifted, and then pushed to Phase 4, and then fall off the announced schedule and finally get cancelled as part of a shift in plans for what would become Phase 4.

It all just exposes how silly it is to not have the Xmen available in the MCU

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
That's great news. Looking forward to the new Spider-Man movie now. I still haven't seen the latest Spider-Man movie. I heard it was bad so I couldn't bring myself to waste time on it.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
so can someone explain the Marvel/Sony Spiderman deal?

Sony still own the rights.
Sony will finance the next Spiderman film.
Marvel will write it and Spiderman will be part of the MCU.
Sony release it and get the profits?

Xevy

Log Wizard
I THINK Marvel pays for part of the production too. So I think Marvel controls creativity and allows them to merge into their MCU, but Sony retains like all standalone profit. It's basically a great deal. Spiderman juices Marvel's big movies, Sony gets fucking free profit from the money machine that is Feige and his crew.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I think it's some form of licensing deal, basically. Sony owns the rights, Marvel is licensing them from Sony so they can use him in their movies. Part of that deal seems to include what Xevy said above. That type of thing. I'm sure it also includes something about Sony won't make any Spiderman related shit while this deal is ongoing so as to fuck shit up, etc.

Brad2770

Marvel can use him as cameos in their movies. They keep all the money from it. Sony finances their own stand alone movies, Marvel has the creative control, but Sony gets all the profits.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
so can someone explain the Marvel/Sony Spiderman deal?
Spider-Man: How Sony, Marvel Will Benefit from Unique Deal

Marvel Studios won't pay Sony Pictures for the rights to put Spider-Man in "Captain America: Civil War," the "Avengers" franchise or its other superhero films, as part of its new partnership with the studio, according to sources with knowledge of the deal. At the same time, Marvel won't receive a cut of the box office for any of Sony's films that feature Spider-Man. Sony won't receive a percentage of the revenue Disney makes from Marvel's films that have Spider-Man, either.

There may be some opportunities for Marvel to benefit financially from the Sony films, with payments tied to certain box office milestones. The financial relationship is likened by sources to the kind of compensation structure a producer would receive.
Marvel having creative control over Spider-man is really old news that was mentioned back when the deal went through, just not in relation to Homecoming specifically (the film hadn't been announced yet).

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So I mean... what's stopping the same type of deal for the X-men? Is that Fox or something and I'm forgetting?

Royal

And X-Men still does well at the box office. Fox has no incentive to bring Marvel into the loop.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Yeah X-Men is Fox and the relationship between Fox and Disney is somewhat less than amicable.
Also they are still making money off the X-Men properties and not failing as bad as the last Spidey reboot. Behind Disney/Marvel they are making the best superhero stuff imo.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
They should for the sake of Fantastic Four alone. They just can't seem to make a good movie with those characters.

Royal

F4 is one Marvel needs to have completely back for the villains alone. Galactus would be a good candidate for the next cosmic level threat to organize multiple phases of the MCU around.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Spider-Man: How Sony, Marvel Will Benefit from Unique Deal

Marvel having creative control over Spider-man is really old news that was mentioned back when the deal went through, just not in relation to Homecoming specifically (the film hadn't been announced yet).
I don't see how you can have true creative control over something you aren't paying for. What stops Sony from saying they don't want to pony up for the expenses you want.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I don't see how you can have true creative control over something you aren't paying for. What stops Sony from saying they don't want to pony up for the expenses you want.
Contracts, probably. Why would they pull out? 'No, never mind, we don't want our property to appear in your movie that will probably be one of the biggest of the year, and no you can keep Downey Jr. we can do Spider-Man w/out Iron Man, who needs that kind of attention'

Royal

It's probably in the particulars of the deal. Production costs are probably a factor against those box office milestones the article mentioned.