Marvel Universe stuff

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yup. I mean, in Cap 2 it was Bucky, Robert Redford, and a 40 year old computer monitor. Not exactly primo comic book villains.

You mention Jeff Bridges as Obadiah Stane, was Iron Man 1 not good?

The X-Men stable of villains are probably the deepest and with the most potential, but any character has enough villains to make a few movies around if they're well written. And no character has enough villains to make a good movie if they're shit-written(X3, SM3, ASM1&2). It's just like the actual comics, any character can be awesome if written right and awful if not.

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
I didn't question the quality of the movies. Just thinking out loud when I saw the pic. It made me think of the MCU and Sony split. The "stable" for lack of a better word is worse for the MCU. I think it does force them to write a better story to compensate. Thus in my opinion its the one weakness that Marvel has. They did a hell of a job turning Loki into such a major player. I don't remember him ever being a huge player in the comics.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
He got bigger in recent years, before the movies. A more wide-reaching master manipulator.

I agree some of the other stables of villains are more recognizable, but that's meaningless when you have people turning them to shit like Dr. Doom.

Plus even if you get the villain guy somewhat right the rest of the movie can make it worthless, look at Sinestro in the Green Lantern movie.

Once we're talking movies the characters on the page are almost meaningless. At best it's "I know who that is!" and from there it's all about what they do on screen.

"OMG it's Venom this is going to be awesome!!!"

70 minutes later...

krusty_zps8a2227bb.png

Sceleris_sl

shitlord
The villains on earth are wearing a bit thin for the MCU, but Guardians of the Galaxy will have lots to choose from. Blastaar, Annihilus(great way to introduce Richard Ryder and have him and Star Lord bounce obscure 80's movie references at each other) just to name a few.

On earth, i don;t know who owns the rights to Namor, but that guy has been a villain plenty of times. Why not a threat from inside? Hulk can go apeshit at the drop of a hat, and we have no doubt how strong he is. With Dr' Strange, Black panther and if the rumors are true the Inhumans being introduced, you can use the Illuminati (except McCoy and Xavier) to pose a threat, Iron man vs. Cap begins, the Civil War starts. Scarlet Witch going nuts, killing off avengers, there you go, Avengers dissasembled following by House of M if Fox gets their head out of their ass and decides to partner up in the printing money machine.

Apparently Sony finally looked at box office scores of comic book movies, yelled DAYUMN! and is now in talks of cooperating with Marvel Studios to have Spiderman become part of the Avengers. If they knock that out fast, you can have 1 of the Avengers helping out Spidey in defeating the sinister six.

Devlin

Golden Squire
I didn't question the quality of the movies. Just thinking out loud when I saw the pic. It made me think of the MCU and Sony split. The "stable" for lack of a better word is worse for the MCU. I think it does force them to write a better story to compensate. Thus in my opinion its the one weakness that Marvel has. They did a hell of a job turning Loki into such a major player. I don't remember him ever being a huge player in the comics.
Fox owns the FF and therefore Dr Doom as well as the X-Men stable.

Sony owns the Spider-man licence.

Out of the two Fox has the better villains. None of Spideys villains warrant Avengers intervention.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Apparently Sony finally looked at box office scores of comic book movies, yelled DAYUMN! and is now in talks of cooperating with Marvel Studios to have Spiderman become part of the Avengers. If they knock that out fast, you can have 1 of the Avengers helping out Spidey in defeating the sinister six.
It's not gonna happen with how Sony is planning. Former Marvel guy Avi Arad runs the franchise for Sony and he's adamant that any crossover would be a Spider-Man story first, Avengers second. Because Spider-Man is the most important hero. Quote from him from the link I posted a few days ago on the subject.

"I think there are some stories that will fit beautifully into a cross. Spider-Man would be incredible mixed up with those other universes. But if we want to do that, the crossovers,it has to be a story that is absolutely centered on Spider-Man. We cannot be second banana to anything out there. Because this is the king. This is the one that influenced young people from birth.

"I'm not preaching, but Spider-Man, Peter Parker, who is in all of us, is too important to go in and use it as a sidepiece for corporate purposes. The studio may disagree with me, some fans may disagree with me. I don't care."

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Wow, that guy sounds like a fucking retarded tool. No wonder ASM franchise sucks balls.

Oh well, MCU is doing so phenomenally, I don't give a shit if Spidey ever makes it into a cross-over. That idiot can keep his butt-buddy all to himself.

Sceleris_sl

shitlord
If that is right, Avi Arad is slightly delusional. Yes Spiderman is maybe the most popular superhero in the marvel world... But he cannot ignore the numbers over the past few years. Heck Guardians of the galaxy made more money. To make Spiderman a top player again they NEED to let him ride the coattails of the Avengers. Spiderman movies got a lot of crap since Spiderman 3. His popularity in the movies and comics took a serious hit. I think it's a good thing to let him sidekick around Iron Man for a while. Spiderman has some seriously threatening villains, and they fucked all of them up in the past 2 movies. Lizard looked like shit, Green Goblin was shit, Electro was shit, and don't even get me started on how they fucked over Rhino.

The only thing they can do to give Spiderman some credibility on his own again is NOT with the sinister six...Not with Venom. The answer is not : "oh just throw more villains at him" He needs 1 villain. But one that is menacing a hell. If i may say so, you need to go the Dark Knight road. And there is only 1 comic book series you can do that with. Kraven's last hunt. Make it a 2 part story where in the first part Kraven leads the way. End with the cliffhanger of spiderman getting buried alive. In the first movie spiderman needs to be totally broken down to the core. Only to rise up and defeat his enemy in the second part, but at a big cost.

Kraven's last hunt is dark as hell, i think it's the story with the most movie potential, it's just WAAAAAY out of the comfort zone of anything spiderman.

But when a Raccoon with a shotgun and a walking tree pull more bank than the Superstar spiderman, you're doing something wrong.

Devlin

Golden Squire
Marvel have realised that you can make the characters look exactly like they do in the comics and the fans love them for it.

Fox and Sony let shitty directors use their own "visions" for characters and every single time they turn out shit and piss off the fans.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
Marvel have realised that you can make the characters look exactly like they do in the comics and the fans love them for it.

Fox and Sony let shitty directors use their own "visions" for characters and every single time they turn out shit and piss off the fans.
This. Great point. When you think about it, the only time marvel fans get mad is at things like the Mandarin where they changed him too much.

Devlin

Golden Squire
They don't get that it's basically saying:

"You know this thing you're a lifelong fan of? Well we think it's kinda shitty and it would be much better if we did it like this".

I'm shocked they still don't get this.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Well, looks like Vincent D'Onofrio has been enjoying his doughnuts so, I guess he's serious about the role. Didn't realize it was a Netflix only show though, damn.