Marvel Universe stuff

Chris

Potato del Grande
There aren't that many deaf actresses in Hollywood. Not that many people with prosthetic legs that do their own stunts. If we were talking about some random no name stunt performer, pretty sure everyone here would think their success was impressive even if they only had one of those two disabilities, let alone both...

Most Marvel actors are the Benedict Cumberbatches of the world, born into riches. If a deaf amputee needs to be poor too for it to be impressive then there isn't a single actor in the whole shebang that's impressive for where they come from...
Yeah but Benedict Cumberbach isn't playing a well bred actor born to privilege.

I respect the actress as a person but she hasn't done a good job actually acting yet and has been cast because of her identity groups, not her ability.

I guess that they were lucky that Charlie Cox was both blind and a great actor!

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah but Benedict Cumberbach isn't playing a well bred actor born to privilege.

I respect the actress as a person but she hasn't done a good job actually acting yet and has been cast because of her identity groups, not her ability.

Just watched Charlie Cox in Treason on Netflix. Had zero idea he was a brit until I started watching the show. Foreigners being able to drop their accents never ceases to amaze me. It shouldn't, but it just does.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Just watched Charlie Cox in Treason on Netflix. Had zero idea he was a brit until I started watching the show. Foreigners being able to drop their accents never ceases to amaze me. It shouldn't, but it just does.

Never watched Boardwalk Empire?

yeah, it's not like virtually every English actor in Hollywood can do credible American accents. But somehow, Americans can't do English accents, lol

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

yeah, it's not like virtually every English actor in Hollywood can do credible American accents. But somehow, Americans can't do English accents, lol

I never watched it.

The show that amazed me was Strike Back. They had an Aussie playing the American and an American playing the Brit.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Not sure if Chris is serious but just in case anyone else reading along gets misled -- Charlie Cox is definitely not blind. :)

• 1Worf

Chris

Potato del Grande
Not sure if Chris is serious but just in case anyone else reading along gets misled -- Charlie Cox is definitely not blind. :)
What!? Wait are you saying that actors don't need the same disabilities as their character?

Sterling

El Presidente
He'll always be Tristan Thorn to me.

stardust.jpg

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
What!? Wait are you saying that actors don't need the same disabilities as their character?
Bruv I literally already said the character is boring so far, and that the fact that the actress is disabled is the only cool part. Not sure why you're bothering with this except probably general butthurt over affirmative action style shit. And I don't really give a fuck to discuss that in the Marvel thread.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Watching Treason, I kept thinking "why isnt Charlie staring off looking at nothing".

• 1Worf

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Some details finally coming out on Renner...

"According to a neighbor, the plowing machine -- called a Snowcat -- accidentally ran over one of Jeremy's legs, and he was losing a lot of blood from the injury. We're told another neighbor, who's a doctor, was able to put a tourniquet on his leg until paramedics arrived."

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

Bullshit.

The only English actor who doesn't sound at least a little "off" to me is Tom Holland. The difference is that Americans don't throw hissy fits because someone's accent isn't perfect.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Bullshit.

The only English actor who doesn't sound at least a little "off" to me is Tom Holland. The difference is that Americans don't throw hissy fits because someone's accent isn't perfect.
I legit did not even know Holland was English until now. Cumberbatch does a really good job but you can hear him start to slip now and then and I imagine there are more than a few takes where the accent just completely slips out and need a retake.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

Sure, you can cherry pick a few examples of Brit actors whose accents could be better. But that doesn't change the fact that British actors routinely pull off American accents but American actors struggle.

Look at S2 of The White Lotus were both main male leads were Brits playing Americans

I legit did not even know Holland was English until now. Cumberbatch does a really good job but you can hear him start to slip now and then and I imagine there are more than a few takes where the accent just completely slips out and need a retake.

point proven

Of course there's a totally logical explanation, that being able to nail an American accent opens up much more possibilities for a British actor than nailing a British accent does for an American actor

Sevens

Log Wizard
Never watched Sherlock?
Great great series.

• 1Like

Xevy

Log Wizard
Most British people do the "same" American accent. I was watching that Chippendale's show and Dan Stevens was in it and I couldn't remember who he was, but he sounded JUST like Dr. Strange. Then I remembered he was the dude in Legion and like 90% of British actors all learned the same exact American slow talking over-thought out pronunciation. Tom Holland is really good though, because he can talk fast and doesn't have the same monotone sound the rest seem to. Daniel Craig likes to go full Southern which is funny, because Southern accents range from subtle to Elmer Fudd so you can't really mess them up.