Marvel Universe stuff

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I don't mind not having Garfield in my Marvel movies though. So whatever! Re-cast Spiderman and let's bring him over to Marvel, sure.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It was better than his first one. But then having one of your testicles stomped on by a stampeding herd of wildebeests is better than having both of them.

Jarnin_sl

shitlord
Yeah, they're way better than the drivel US gets like Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Justified, The Wire, True Detective, Sopranos, Deadwood, House of Cards, Fargo...

I'm sure every show on British TV is pure gold.
That's some nice cherry picking you did there! Deadwood is on HBO, subscription only, and it's been off the air foreight fucking years. The Wire: HBO, off the air forsix fucking years. True Detective: again, HBO, but you're right that it's awesome. Sopranos, gee, that's on HBO too, and has been off the air forseven fucking years! House of Cards is on Netflix. Last I checked, none of those services rely on advertisements to pay the bills, which is what I was (apparently too subtly) complaining about.

Breaking Bad was solid show that I used to watch,when it was still on the air. Mad Men is great, except it's on AMC, the network that splits seasons into 8 episodes and airs them 9-12 months apart. Justified seems like the quality dropped in season five, but YMMV. I've never seen Fargo, but since you seem to think it's great, I'll check it out.

You picked some of thebestUS shows. I dropped three that I stumbled upon in the last year or so that are still on the air (Sherlock season 4 coming next year, Luther is coming back, and The Fall is airing right the fuck now). How about dropping some that aren't on a paid subscription service, that are still on the fucking air? Right, Justified, Mad Men, and Fargo. Justified is finished after it's next season, and I'll miss it when its done. Mad Men is finished after its next season, and I'll miss it when its done. Fargo... Fuck it, I'll stream it as soon as I'm done typing, but it'll be without commercials.

Movies and shows aren't better or worse just because they're British or Japanese or whatever other culture you decide to romanticize and overrate.
My statement had nothing to do with "romanticizing" different cultures. It had to do with television in the states being ad supported where in other countries they get by using other means. The quality doesn't suffer because they have to try to sell you tampons or Chevys every 7 minutes. Not to mention that their actors are better trained, their directors are better trained, their writers are better trained, and they speak the same fucking language as we do, and they're better at that too. That's why we fucking import so many British, English and Irish actors, directors and writers to the states. And the bonus is that they'll work cheaper than their American counterparts.

Do me a favor and try to takean objective viewon the shit that is U.S television. Yes, the US has some great television series, if you're willing to pay to avoid ads. Otherwise you'll be hard pressed to find them.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
The thing with most of those great British tv shows is that they are not regular tv shows that have 12+ episodes every year.

They are kinda like mini-series with anywhere from 3-6 episodes every few years.

It removes the filler episodes that most US tv shows have. US tv shows are 12 or 20 episodes every year...with a main story that fills maybe 3-6 episodes, the rest being filler to stretch it to a full season.

I think a lot of US tv shows that are average or even sometimes bad could be pretty good, and even great if they were condensed only to their "mythology" episodes without all the filler ones.

In the end...shows like Luther or Sherlock the writers have 2-3 years to write 3 episodes, in the US we have to have 12 or 20 episodes every year...it's basically quantity over quality.

Always exceptions in both cases, but in general it's pretty much how it goes.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
As a huge fan of Sherlock, I found Elementary to be basically equal is quality AND there's a lot more of it AND it's on like CBS or something stupid isn't it? An ironic score 1 for America in my book.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
I've yet to watch Elementary, but I love Sherlock. Do Jonny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu have the same sort of natural chemistry as Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman? That's one of the things that makes Sherlock so enjoyable to me.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I like Sherlock Holmes but the only character i care in the series is Moriarty.
tumblr_m09e1z0dP31r8s2uu.gif

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Do me a favor and try to takean objective viewon the shit that is U.S television. Yes, the US has some great television series, if you're willing to pay to avoid ads. Otherwise you'll be hard pressed to find them.
This is a direct quote.

I find British television series to far exceed the shit we have on in the U.S.
I listed a bunch of US shows that are not shit. Objectively. You said US TV is shit compared to British, I pointed out that's stupid. One of us isn't being objective.

Also, everyone in Britainispaying for that ad-free TV you are so chubbed up over. And they're working on making people without a TV help pay for it as well.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Valderen's point about the difference in show lengths is a great one that people love to overlook. If anyone has ever watched Episodes, the two lead characters (British TV comedy writers who come to do an American version of their show) run into the problem of having to move from a 6ish episode season to a 20+ episode season. It's way easier to have tight writing and enthralling stories when you're not forced into making one-off filler episodes.

I don't think it's any coincidence that all of the most critically acclaimed shows on American TV are ones that have smaller seasons of 8 - 13 episodes.

Not to mention that their actors are better trained, their directors are better trained, their writers are better trained, and they speak the same fucking language as we do, and they're better at that too.
That's quite the claim. Do you have anything to back those statements up besides simply that you prefer British TV to American? That's a genuine question, not a jab at you.

*Edit* So what's the British equivalent of a Weeaboo? That was a jab at you.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've yet to watch Elementary, but I love Sherlock. Do Jonny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu have the same sort of natural chemistry as Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman? That's one of the things that makes Sherlock so enjoyable to me.
It is a bit less natural at first I felt like but they grow into it pretty quick. The key is that it's different enough from Sherlock where I don't even feel like I have to say I like one more than the other, they're just different "Holmes Worlds." Elementary is more inspired-by and does it's own thing whereas Sherlock pays a lot of homage to the original stories. Jonny Lee Miller was unknown to me but goddamn if I wasn't man-crushing on him after watching a few episodes. Not Cumberbitch-level but still :p

In Marvel related talk... um. I really have nothing. Kinda glad the Spider-deal fell through personally, only one of the movies I really enjoyed was the 2nd McGuire one and there's so much retarded stuff between the comics and the movies that I feel like a crossover would have just been lame.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I'm glad the Spider-Man thing fell through; I see absolutely no positive for Marvel in that deal, and tons for Sony. Captain America 3 is already going to be a success without him, and Marvel would get 100% of the profits. I'm sure Sony would have wanted a good-sized chunk of that for themselves. With the potential to have requirements that the Sony execs get to dictate certain plot elements as well, which isn't something I want in my Marvel movies.

At best it gets some nerds all damp that Spider-Man is "back in the fold" (even though he wouldn't really be), at worst it ruins the movie. Most likely somewhere in between, but I see very little upside creatively or financially for Marvel unless they had complete control over the character (including the ability to recast if they desire) and just agreed to pay out a chunk of the revenue to Sony. That's about the only way I see any of it working, from a Marvel perspective. Obviously almost all of those options are a win from Sony's viewpoint, which is why they are so eager to make something happen.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Yeah I'm glad the Spider-Man thing fell through; I see absolutely no positive for Marvel in that deal, and tons for Sony. Captain America 3 is already going to be a success without him, and Marvel would get 100% of the profits. I'm sure Sony would have wanted a good-sized chunk of that for themselves. With the potential to have requirements that the Sony execs get to dictate certain plot elements as well, which isn't something I want in my Marvel movies.

At best it gets some nerds all damp that Spider-Man is "back in the fold" (even though he wouldn't really be), at worst it ruins the movie. Most likely somewhere in between, but I see very little upside creatively or financially for Marvel unless they had complete control over the character (including the ability to recast if they desire) and just agreed to pay out a chunk of the revenue to Sony. That's about the only way I see any of it working, from a Marvel perspective. Obviously almost all of those options are a win from Sony's viewpoint, which is why they are so eager to make something happen.
They obviously wanted Spiderman for Civil War to be the go-between guy. Them not having Spiderman sucks for Sony, but is probably good for Marvel. Especially since I'm betting they're going to bring up another character to replace him in that capacity. The only problem is they can't do some one 'new' because origins and blah blah. Maybe they'll nab some one from the Marvel netflix shit like Luke Cage or something.

Devlin

Golden Squire
Yeah, they're way better than the drivel US gets like Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Justified, The Wire, True Detective, Sopranos, Deadwood, House of Cards, Fargo...

I'm sure every show on British TV is pure gold.

I hate when motherfuckers say stupid shit like this. Movies and shows aren't better or worse just because they're British or Japanese or whatever other culture you decide to romanticize and overrate.
As an Englishman I can say that British TV was better during the 80's and 90's but fully went to shit in the 00's and never recovered really.

We have the odd great show but US television overtook us I would say around the time HBO started hitting home runs.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
bbc gay watson
rrr_img_84753.jpg

vs.

elementary watson
rrr_img_84754.jpg

British shows suck, if you're gonna have a gay sidekick like watson, just go make him a hot asian woman instead. I mean i personally don't find lucy lui all that, but amongst asians in hollywood, beggers can't be choosers, plus she's the only Charlie's Angel that still looks good, cameron is crow faced and barrymore is just a white girl.