Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
lanx isn't a troll, but he's probably too big of a fan of the comics to truly enjoy something like this. It's basically Marvel Lite.

Fazana_sl

shitlord
none of Shawn Ryan's Terriers,Chicago Code, or Last Resort made it past 13 episodes.
I liked that
frown.png
Last resort was fucking terrible but again, I believe the network interfered like fuck with it. If it had stayed closer to the pilot it would have been much better.

As for this, all the talk of Whedon failing etc but like someone else said, the impression is that the Whedon involved in this is brother of not the headline act. Wheden #1 is just an exec producer type "I attended one of the early meetings, call me again for a cameo or two maybe when the next movie is coming out. Oh yes, by the by, I'll be taking Coulson away at that point as well for a few months!"

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i said, when was this about coulson, b/c it's a show Agents of SHIELD, directed(involved or not) by Josh Whedon. Now Josh whedon to me has a gift, he can take a bunch of characters with personalities and voltron them into a distinct team, not a co-heasive team, but a team that works. When i saw first saw Josh Whedon's name on anything it was on the cover of Astonishing X-men, i was like "wth is this?" Googling, i was like oh that's the guy that created buffy, man Astonishing X-men is gonna suck, it didn't It has one of the best "team" cohesion ever, to most who have ever read Astonishing X-men only issues 1-24 matter (and the giant sized) the Whedon issues. Then i saw he made this show firefly (i didn't watch tv much post college days.. too much EQ) i didn't know about the controversies and all those petitions, i just watched the DVD's. The characters created and their cohesion again was like nothing i have ever seen, imo serentiy was too much, it seemed like he tried to re-introduce but not really, characters you already (this is very important later on) it felt like he had to kind of retell his story. (i didn't watch dollhouse can't comment)

So now we goto The avengers 2012, what i said b4 about him trying to re-introduce characters, he didn't do that, he learned and we got the avengers. Ok please realize this, the avengers as a team, should not be, they are the worst team to be thought of in "team" existence. SHIELD didn't "recruit" the avengers or have a dossier on them? No the original avengers was "what comics are selling the most? ok throw them in the blender", i mean think about it, they are supposed to be the supreme premiere Marvel Team, and they are called the Avengers, wth do they have to avenge? That sounds like a team that responds to failure, rather than what most superhero teams do, respond before shit hits the fan.

This is the Avengers.
A god, a real pray to this man so he can water our crops GOD, that is misbehaving like a spoiled child and his father (Odin) sends him to earth to punish him and have him learn humility
One of the smartest men in the world, but when he gets emo trades 99% of his intellect to be the strongest
A narcissistic uncaring gifted alcoholic billionaire playboy, who is so fragile on the inside that he hides behind a suit made out of billions and again is only humbled by something out of his control (the shrapnel in his heart)
A 1940's time displaced superhero who's only real worth is that he was the first and only test subject for super hero steroids.

hawkeye doesn't count, he is a marvel response to green arrow and basically has robin origins (he was in the circus all his life with a bow)
black widow is a russian spy created for iron man, and so that tony stark can get his playboy/007 on with black widow.

he made avengers 2012, work, and work well, and i suspect only he could have done such a job.

This is what i kind of wanted/expected for Agents of SHIELD, for josh whedon to take a bunch of characters and mold them into something special, (i don't care at all that it has little bearing to the marvel universe, in fact i would rather it all be made up in whedon land). Regardless i'm still going to give this series 2 seasons of "i'll try it" cuz it takes that long it seems for whedon to get going (from what ppl have said about buffy/angel/dollhouse).

I'm interested in what Whedon can do with a bunch of characters, again.

Tea_sl

shitlord
they really should re-write the hacker chick, she doesn't seem like a hacker at all, not smart or intelligent, and she looks too "well kept" with good clothes to live in a van and hack shield, Instead just give her an electronic talking superpower and i would more readily believe that, than the fact that she's got super skills.
She's already got some sort of super power though? The whole stamps thing or whatever they were.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Whedon doesn't strike me as a silent partner. Not that he's the kind of guy to just take over at the drop of a hat either... Just that I don't get the impression he's going to just put his name at the top and walk away.

That being said, he's not writing or directing. It's already been said he's going to have limited involvement

Tea_sl

shitlord
Well, I only watched it the once a week ago, so it's a little hazy. At the restaurant when she first meets the hooded hero she takes three sugar packets then arranged them in a line. As she is talking to him she rearranges them. When she first gets back to her van to decrypt the files they are about to leave and she quickly lifts up a notebook all secret like to reveal three stamps or small portraits or something similar, which are arranged in a line like she did with the sugar packets. She stuffs one into her bra before getting kidnapped.

Now that I've typed that up it occurs to me that it's not resolved beyond that point, but I had to take a phone call and missed a couple minutes. Maybe it was explained in one of the scenes I missed that they were just some hacking computer chip macguffin or something?

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
They looked more like chips or - I believe someone here said - sim cards. It was tech stuff, not powers (presumably with Rising Tide info she didn't want divulged, or perhaps her real identity). As to the sugar packets, hard to say what that's about.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yea I dunno, I'm just not feeling it so far. The dialog is pretty bad and I don't think the actors are that good . Even Colson seems stiff. I'm wondering if I should bother with a third episode.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I know it is somewhat cheesy, but I like it. Things like, "What was the last O-8-4?", "A hammer." make me smile while I'm watching it, and it isn't inundated with super-powers to overshadow the characters (although I wouldn't be opposed to that either), so I'm liking it. It is a far cry better than a lot of shows I watch, and very few any more are really great. This has subject matter that I'm interested in, and is good enough, so I'll continue watching it. If I only watched great shows I wouldn't have much of anything to watch. Sometimes a show being fun is enough for me.

The ending of this one was pretty good. And I really like Coulson and I think it is perfect that he has a vehicle to shine in. I don't find his acting bad, that's just how he is, and I like it.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Last 30 seconds was the best part of the episode. I liked the pilot but I didn't enjoy tonight's episode very much. Will continue to watch though to give it a proper chance.

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
I know it is somewhat cheesy, but I like it. Things like, "What was the last O-8-4?", "A hammer." make me smile while I'm watching it, and it isn't inundated with super-powers to overshadow the characters (although I wouldn't be opposed to that either), so I'm liking it. It is a far cry better than a lot of shows I watch, and very few any more are really great. This has subject matter that I'm interested in, and is good enough, so I'll continue watching it. If I only watched great shows I wouldn't have much of anything to watch. Sometimes a show being fun is enough for me.

The ending of this one was pretty good. And I really like Coulson and I think it is perfect that he has a vehicle to shine in. I don't find his acting bad, that's just how he is, and I like it.
Pretty much agree with this.

Also yet another Thor reference thrown in with a movie coming out shortly. Maybe I'm reading too much into this. Also liked the ending, that they can do stuff like that makes me hopeful for the show.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
someone said earlier they liked this show better when it was called Torchwood and this episode really did have that kind of vibe. ill watch a few more episodes, but honestly im not feeling it yet. the asian chick has a mustache or something and it distracts me. i know im supposed to be enjoying her uber badassery, but meanwhile im staring at her face and saying to myself " what the fuck is that?".

Van chick and hetero captain jack harkness are the obvious love interest along with hermione and geekboy, so i guess i can look forward to one of them having a TV-PG love scene. otherwise this show is nothing special cept basically a marvel product placement vehicle. thats good stuff for marvel fans but not so much for us regular schlubs.

Sean_sl

shitlord
I'm loving it. It feels very 80's and A-Team-ish and I am totally down with that. Totally adds to the effect if you download the 480p rips, it's like there's a filter over it.

Knytestorme_sl

shitlord
I'm a total joss whedon whore so my opinion is biased but this is already in my list of fave shows ever, the last 2 minutes did it. I know Joss isn't fully involved but that dialog and interaction between them showed his touch and had me laughing the entire time....the ending with Skye also adds an interesting dimension, especially in regards to if Coulson knows what's happening